Author Topic: Whats the haps?

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #19710 on: September 15, 2017, 06:48:54 PM »
Thanks, Dincrest! Yeah, I got back into progressive metal this year and have been finding a ton of cool talented young acts. Most of them are instrumental. Like:

- Intervals
- Chon
- Sithu Aye
- Polyphia
- Modern Day Babylon
- Animals As Leaders
- Clear Skies
- Scale the Summit
- Tetrafusion
and
- Arch Echo

I started back up the guitar after a near eighteen-year hiatus, and love every minute of it. I didn't have the attention span at 17~18 to sit down for an hour or two, practice, study music theory, scales, chords as I do now. Back then it was all about power chords and nothing else, lol. I'm having a custom 7 string made locally that's going to be out of this world. Sooooo stoked. I'll post here when it's ready. ^_^

Challenges are good. If this 1:1 training is as you say, you'll grow from the experience for sure. Knowledge is knowledge, my brotha!

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19711 on: September 15, 2017, 08:42:21 PM »
No Way!  I've been on a power/prog kick lately too. 

Bands I've been listening to lately:
Cyborg Octopus: https://cyborgoctopus.bandcamp.com/

Disforia: https://disforia.bandcamp.com/album/the-age-of-ether

Sons of Apollo (this is the new band of Mike Portnoy, Billy Sheehan, Derek Sherinian, Jeff Scott Soto, and Bumblefoot): http://www.sonsofapollo.com/
(This Sons of Apollo album may be the first CD I've ever preordered.) 

A Sense of Gravity: http://store.asenseofgravity.com/album/atrament

Anciients: https://anciientriffs.bandcamp.com/

Divine Ascension: http://vicisolumrecords.com/album/liberator

Scarab (they're a death metal band from Egypt): http://vicisolumrecords.com/album/serpents-of-the-nile

(And during my commute home, Ever Forthright was randomly selected on my iPad: https://everforthright.bandcamp.com/album/ever-forthright)

Playing bass is back in my life again too.  One of the guys in my bicycle club wants to collaborate on songwriting with me and jamming with him last month was awesome.  He's a little older than me (though he looks crazy young) and is more interested in songwriting and studio playing than gigging and touring.  He had asked me earlier this summer if I wanted to jam/write with him, and I said sure, because though I want music back in my life I don't want to be in a gigging/touring band.  I hadn't touched a bass since parting ways with Pool of Thorns in 2015 and almost thought I could/should just close that chapter of my life. 

But when jamming with my cyclist friend, it felt right.  I felt whole again.  Like a missing piece was filled in that I didn't know was missing.  Sure, my busy life of work, cycling/fitness, RPGFan, and voiceover stuff is fulfilling, having music back in it is nice.  There's a lot on my plate, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  You have no idea how stoked I am to have music back in my life again.  It's like, no matter what, I'll always be a bass player.  It's in my soul and a key part of my identity that can never be shed.

After I parted ways with Pool of Thorns in 2015, I donated two of my basses (a Warwick 4-string and a Zon 5-string) to the music department of the school I work at.  And from what I hear, those instruments are inspiring the next generation.  The two basses I kept are my "swirl" bass (http://www.guitargurullc.com/images/Swirls/Swirl9.jpg) and this exquisite 6-string bass that I bought used for $420 that must have cost at least $2000 when it was first commissioned (it has some seriously high-end components and quality tonewoods.)  I didn't do much with that bass when I was with Pool of Thorns, but I want to do stuff with it now so I'm glad it found its way into my home and stayed.  This bass was no garage baby; it's definitely been gigged by its previous owners (I'm the third owner).  It plays and sounds so good. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:47:48 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19712 on: September 16, 2017, 02:45:44 AM »
You know, ol' Frosty, I've been thinking about a generator all week.  But we really do try and live simply, so we can pursue other things besides work/money.  And a generator is a luxury purchase.  Or so I keep telling myself.  We went an entire decade without a hurricane making landfall in my area.  Now we've had two in an 11 month span.  Maybe it's a necessity after all.

I'm hardly the sort of man you would call "handy", though.  Maybe I've survived for too long off my wit, charm, and good nature.  My wife deserves a little better, perhaps.

Yeah, purchases like that are difficult decisions. I'd probably be relying on power banks, a dyno torch and a WakaWaka light or two instead, because I'm a cheapskate with relatively low living standards.

That said, having the food in your fridge spoil is expensive too if it happens too often...

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19713 on: September 16, 2017, 06:27:34 AM »
You know, ol' Frosty, I've been thinking about a generator all week.  But we really do try and live simply, so we can pursue other things besides work/money.  And a generator is a luxury purchase.  Or so I keep telling myself.  We went an entire decade without a hurricane making landfall in my area.  Now we've had two in an 11 month span.  Maybe it's a necessity after all.

I'm hardly the sort of man you would call "handy", though.  Maybe I've survived for too long off my wit, charm, and good nature.  My wife deserves a little better, perhaps.

Yeah, purchases like that are difficult decisions. I'd probably be relying on power banks, a dyno torch and a WakaWaka light or two instead, because I'm a cheapskate with relatively low living standards.

That said, having the food in your fridge spoil is expensive too if it happens too often...

Medications too.  A few years ago, a storm knocked my power out for about a week and I was buying bags of ice daily to keep my diabetic dad's insulin cold. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #19714 on: September 16, 2017, 12:09:51 PM »

I understand your views on it.
With regards to living in a hurricane-vulnerable area, I would personally see it as a necessity that would hopefully never be necessary, if that makes any sense. Losing power for so long affects you greatly, if you're not used to being without it.
Not trying to badger you into it. And don't sell yourself short on handiness. Everyone's gotta start somewhere... If they want to - lol

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19715 on: September 16, 2017, 12:49:16 PM »
Just got into a spat with a patron because she forgot her calculator that she needed to take an online assessment test and it's obviously my fault that the calculator program on our (and literally every) computer isn't "scientific" enough for what she needs.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19716 on: September 16, 2017, 01:24:08 PM »
That reminds me...

Today I suddenly realised I never checked if there were batteries in the controller in the Skyward Sword special edition I bought use two years ago. I checked and yep... there were and they leaked. Fuck. Managed to clean it up a bit and the controller works, but battery acid is nasty shit and the controller will die from this eventually.

While looking in the drawer, I noticed my old TI-83. Not a Plus, a classic TI-83. The one I used throughout high school and hadn't really touched in the past decade or so. There were batteries in there, but aside from being totally dead everything was fine. Put some new ones in and amazingly, it still works. Stat Plot showed some formulaes I must have used during my final exam.

I wonder if my cousin would be allowed to use this in school. I know the newer models they want students to buy have colour screens and are faster, but that only really matters if you want to play games on it. The TI-83 does all the math things you actually need it to do.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19717 on: September 16, 2017, 08:06:20 PM »
TI calculators with color screens?  At the high school I work at, students use the regular TI84... and I work at a school in a well-to-do area.  And back when I was in high school (in the 1990s), we used TI82s. 

Still, I'm surprised TI is still kicking.  I mean, you can get apps on smartphones and iPads (a lot of high schools issue iPads to students) that do everything the TI calculator does for less money.  The TI calculator itself is priced higher than many smartphones that do so much more. 

Seultoria

• 시발놈
    • View Profile
« Reply #19718 on: September 16, 2017, 09:52:32 PM »
I don't know if I posted about getting a new job, but I moved to Raleigh for a new job to join a smaller, local accounting firm for the better work/life balance. This past deadline (9/15) is usually very busy as that is when business returns are due (at least for the federal government and some states. Many are due 10/15.) At my old job, I probably would have been working 55-70 hours per week for two months straight. At my new job, I've worked a total of 1 hour of overtime since I've been here and it's been amazing. What is great about this firm is that any overtime is accrued and will either be paid out as additional compensation time (salaried job, so no true 1.5x OT pay) or extra vacation time. So while I'll still have to work overtime January through April, at least I'll get extra vacation time out of it, which makes the extra work bearable. At the old firm, extra OT was expected just because it was a prestigious firm.

However, due to actually having a life, I've been addicted to Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 haha.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19719 on: September 17, 2017, 03:32:54 AM »
TI calculators with color screens?  At the high school I work at, students use the regular TI84... and I work at a school in a well-to-do area.  And back when I was in high school (in the 1990s), we used TI82s. 

Still, I'm surprised TI is still kicking.  I mean, you can get apps on smartphones and iPads (a lot of high schools issue iPads to students) that do everything the TI calculator does for less money.  The TI calculator itself is priced higher than many smartphones that do so much more.

I don't know what it's like in the US, but our exam regulations only allow a few specific types of graphic calculators. (The new TIs with the colour screens won't be allowed until exam year 2018-2019.) Most of them are made by Texas Instruments, meaning most students in this country who take somewhat advancement math (and that's nearly half of them), use a TI. Most lesson programms are also based around the TI. That means that on a yearly basis 80000+ people are pretty much guaranteed to buy one. And that's just one tiny country.

It's true that tablets and even cell phones offer more than these graphic calculators, but they also have one huge disadvantage: cheating. Of course, even graphic calculators have some digital nooks and crannies you can load up with notes, but the possibilities cell phones and tablets offer go far beyond that. And you know how technologically savvy students can be. We turned out TI-83s into shitty gaming handhelds, think of what the new generation can do with a tablet or phone.

One solution would be to just hand students a school-owned graphic calculator whenever they need to take a test that requires one, but learning to use a graphic calculator does take some time. It'd slow students down significantly unless there was classroom time cleared in a advance to teach them how to do the calculations they need. It's more efficient (and cheaper for the school) to have students buy their own calculator and learn how to use it over the course of 2-4 years.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19720 on: September 18, 2017, 09:48:27 AM »

I understand your views on it.
With regards to living in a hurricane-vulnerable area, I would personally see it as a necessity that would hopefully never be necessary, if that makes any sense. Losing power for so long affects you greatly, if you're not used to being without it.
Not trying to badger you into it. And don't sell yourself short on handiness. Everyone's gotta start somewhere... If they want to - lol

Talked to Wife and she said she didn't want to keep a generator on our screened in front-porch.  As we have no tool shed or garage, that's that for the time being.

Speaking of which, our power got restored last night, so I can finally get back to gaming!  Screw learning to be handy!  BWAHAHAA!
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19721 on: September 18, 2017, 05:31:30 PM »
So I have these moments where I basically go like "berserker" cause of extreme emotional experiences and I can get really carried away at times..

... ahem.. not that anyone's maybe noticed by now? But yeah... it's definitely a thing that happens, rarely do I even remember exactly what I said or did exactly during those times, it's like the equivalent of blacking out with alcohol but with no alcohol, I guess.

In more mellow news... ah well what's mellow I guess that I've had a pretty good sandwich from a pizza place that has an old Ms. Pac Man machine and has that old arcadey feel to it.  I think "gamery" local pizza place/joints are really the best atmosphere and often incredible tasty.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19722 on: September 18, 2017, 05:37:28 PM »
May have noticed that, yeah.

Have you seen a doctor about it?

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #19723 on: September 18, 2017, 07:47:00 PM »
May have noticed that, yeah.

Have you seen a doctor about it?
I feel like that might be more of a therapist thing than a physical doctor thing.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19724 on: September 18, 2017, 08:06:13 PM »
Here in the UK generally you see your doctor then get referred as appropriate.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.