Author Topic: Whats the haps?

ScottC and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #19755 on: September 27, 2017, 02:52:43 PM »
Hey! Good for you, D!
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19756 on: September 28, 2017, 01:53:24 PM »
Go for it, D!

My sports haps: got a new bow! Well, it's not actually new and technically also not mine, but another archer had his old recurve (which is actually a really good one and suitable for serious competitions) sitting in storage not really doing anything with it. I tried this bow last year, and it was too heavy for me back then, but now I can use it pretty easily. Really feels like a reached a milestone. Biggest bump in the road now are my own insecurities. (Using someone else's stuff makes me nervous, especially when it's relatively expensive to what I'm used to, plus, I dunno, I sorta want to prove I'm worthy of using it?) A smaller bump is that the grip was obviously designed for someone with adult-sized manly hands, meaning my cute child-like hand will cramp up if I'm not careful, but that's a matter of investing in a new grip if I get serious about this bow.

Other haps: used a credit card for the first time today. That probably sounds really weird to some of you, but credit cards are a rare thing in the Netherlands. Debit cards are the norm over here and not paying directly from my bank account feels really weird. Also a bit unsafe, actually. When buying online with my regular card (using iDEAL), there's a lot more security in place to protect me. On the other hand, a credit card offers more insurance, so atleast there's that. Plus, I set the limit for my card really low, because I plan on using it mostly for buying things not (easily) available in Dutch (web) stores, like graphic novels published by Fantagraphics (I have no idea what's wrong with their distributor!).

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19757 on: September 28, 2017, 02:02:36 PM »
Man, the amount of free money my wife and I get from credit cards is pretty crazy.  It's funny to think of a time when I didn't use them.  Of course, it's weird to buy into a moneymaking scheme that relies on people NOT paying on time and getting penalized.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19758 on: September 28, 2017, 02:07:56 PM »
I have my bank card set up to run as a credit card specifically because if it gets stolen then the banks usually cover the losses, where as if someone got hold of a debit card (and PIN) that's in my name then I'm on the hook for most of whatever gets stolen.

I've only ever had an out and out credit card once, in college. I went to Las Vegas for a weekend (and a wedding) and blew through a $1000 before I even realized what was going on.  Fun, but I was an idiot about it and learned my lesson.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 02:09:30 PM by Rucks »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19759 on: September 28, 2017, 02:40:10 PM »
Man, the amount of free money my wife and I get from credit cards is pretty crazy.  It's funny to think of a time when I didn't use them.  Of course, it's weird to buy into a moneymaking scheme that relies on people NOT paying on time and getting penalized.

The banks over here are kinder than in the US, I think. For instance, overdraft fees are not a thing over here. If you do stumble into the red, you pay interest based on the amount and time you were in the negative. At my bank, that interest is 12%, on par with credit cards, but you know, no fees to make it worse. And any money I spend using my credit card is just taken out of my regular account at the end of the month (at no interest), meaning I will pay the regular 'you screwed up' interest if I screw up. (And just so we're clear, the last time I paid any interest was nearly a decade ago and it was a grand total of 0,12.) There are also no fees for any of common banking things. I just pay 2,60 a month to make use of the services (which covers the checking account, savings account, a debit and credit cards, and some handy budgetting tools to help you stay away from the red zone).

But the interest on my savings account is really low right now and there are no such things as rewards for people who use their money responsibly.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19760 on: September 28, 2017, 02:47:28 PM »
And how does one get their banks to behave in such a civilized manner, exactly?

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19761 on: September 28, 2017, 02:56:30 PM »

Regulate them so they can't take advantage of people.

Too bad that sort of thing is anathema in the States.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19762 on: September 28, 2017, 03:03:24 PM »

Regulations and idealism. The bank I use was originally a farmers' bank and founded for the purpose of improving the community. Not that our banks are perfect. Some invest in shady things and you don't know until until it's all over the news. But generally, I'd say we're pretty well off when it comes to banks.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:05:40 PM by Tomara »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19763 on: September 28, 2017, 03:46:14 PM »

Regulate them so they can't take advantage of people.

Too bad that sort of thing is anathema in the States.

I get that deregulation can be good in many areas.  Money, though?  IDK.  What's the upside to deregulating money?

Maybe I know nothing.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19764 on: September 28, 2017, 04:10:23 PM »
re: upside to deregulating money

it's easier for those with lots of it to make lots more

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #19765 on: September 28, 2017, 04:30:09 PM »
I tried this bow last year, and it was too heavy for me back then, but now I can use it pretty easily.
Cool and congrats. What's the poundage on your new bow? My recurve has a 22 poundage/pullback.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #19766 on: September 28, 2017, 06:37:55 PM »
used a credit card for the first time today. That probably sounds really weird to some of you, but credit cards are a rare thing in the Netherlands. Debit cards are the norm over here and not paying directly from my bank account feels really weird. Also a bit unsafe, actually. When buying online with my regular card (using iDEAL), there's a lot more security in place to protect me. On the other hand, a credit card offers more insurance, so atleast there's that. Plus, I set the limit for my card really low, because I plan on using it mostly for buying things not (easily) available in Dutch (web) stores, like graphic novels published by Fantagraphics (I have no idea what's wrong with their distributor!).
That is all sorts of weird to me. I have used two different credit cards today. Mind you I basically use them as debit cards as I pay off the balance on them twice a month so I have almost never accrued interest, but I get the bonus of whatever rewards the card offers. Huray for gaming the system to make the credit card companies lose! :p

Get USAA?...yeah I realize not everyone can get it, but it works well for me.

I get that deregulation can be good in many areas.  Money, though?  IDK.  What's the upside to deregulating money?

Maybe I know nothing.
Banks can make riskier gambles, and when they pay off the bank CEOs have more money to donate to keep their guys in power! In the grand scheme everyone loses! *cries inside*

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19767 on: September 28, 2017, 08:03:59 PM »
Back to @Agent D's plane pull... is it getting televised or streamed anywhere?  Because I'd want to watch. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19768 on: September 28, 2017, 09:05:56 PM »
Back to @Agent D's plane pull... is it getting televised or streamed anywhere?  Because I'd want to watch.
Uhh....idk actually. I'm gonna have a video of my team's attempt for sure, but as far as an actual televised thing, search me. Maybe on the local news channels in new jersey, it's being held at Newark airport.

TASTY!

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19769 on: September 29, 2017, 12:59:20 AM »
After waiting for an hour at a Wal Mart 45 minutes away from my house, I was able to get a SNES Classic!  I didn't assume I was going to get lucky with this so I'm pretty stoked.