Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #19770 on: September 29, 2017, 03:20:32 AM »
I tried this bow last year, and it was too heavy for me back then, but now I can use it pretty easily.
Cool and congrats. What's the poundage on your new bow? My recurve has a 22 poundage/pullback.

28, which is actually lighter than the bow I shot with before I took a long, long break. I used a 32 one as a teen. Dunno if I want to build up to that again, though. I don't have any aspirations beyond the occassional friendly guild competition.

That is all sorts of weird to me. I have used two different credit cards today. Mind you I basically use them as debit cards as I pay off the balance on them twice a month so I have almost never accrued interest, but I get the bonus of whatever rewards the card offers. Huray for gaming the system to make the credit card companies lose! :p

A Dutch person with two credits cards is either filthy rich or highly irresponsible. We could technically get cards from credit card companies, but a credit card from your own bank is much more convenient. It's cheaper to use but there are no bonuses. Plus, the bank requires you to have a minimum monhtly income (1000 in the case of my bank, but they make an exception for students) and a BKR-check (BKR = Bureau Krediet Registratie, you can probably figure out what that means) is done. Since a regular debit card is all you need in daily Dutch life, most Dutch people don't bother getting one.

Actually, when we're young, we're sort of scared out of getting a credit card by teachers, parents etc. The USA is always used as a example of how credit card use can go horribly wrong. That's the main reason it took so long for me to get one despite it making some things in life much easier. Credit is kinda scary.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19771 on: September 29, 2017, 05:04:49 AM »
My family used to give me grief because I only had one credit card.  They considered that irresponsible.  What if something happened to it and there was an emergency, that sort of thing.  Mind you it's not about spending more and neither I nor anyone in my family has any credit card debt.

Eventually I did give in and get a second one.

That is all sorts of weird to me. I have used two different credit cards today. Mind you I basically use them as debit cards as I pay off the balance on them twice a month so I have almost never accrued interest, but I get the bonus of whatever rewards the card offers. Huray for gaming the system to make the credit card companies lose! :p

The credit card companies charge a small fee anytime anyone uses one of their credit cards.  Charging interest, etc. is just extra.  They don't ever lose.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #19772 on: September 29, 2017, 05:54:45 AM »
A Dutch person with two credits cards is either filthy rich or highly irresponsible.
Well I have three (plus a debit card). One is from my bank, one is from Amazon (for rewards), and one is from Best Buy (for interest free electronics purchases for 18 months). I think all three are justified. Although I will not deny being relatively rich or highly irresponsible. XP

The credit card companies charge a small fee anytime anyone uses one of their credit cards.  Charging interest, etc. is just extra.  They don't ever lose.
Oh right fair point, but I do not lose against them either. :p

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19773 on: September 29, 2017, 06:10:41 AM »
A Dutch person with two credits cards is either filthy rich or highly irresponsible.
Well I have three (plus a debit card). One is from my bank, one is from Amazon (for rewards), and one is from Best Buy (for interest free electronics purchases for 18 months). I think all three are justified. Although I will not deny being relatively rich or highly irresponsible. XP

Ah, yeah, that's another thing over here. Stores don't offer credit cards. Some people do collect Air Miles on a seperate card and there are various stores that allow you to collect points and get discounts with their cards, but these are all cards that can't be used for payments (that are not in points).

(As for emergencies, most people have some cash on them in case their card fails, but nowadays you can also do things like use your smart phone for small payments.)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19774 on: September 29, 2017, 09:31:36 AM »
That Amazon card is amazing: 5% back on Amazon purchases if you're Prime.  It's absurd how much cash back we get from it.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #19775 on: September 29, 2017, 10:48:33 AM »
I gotta admit, I love my Best Buy card. It has helped me to afford things that I wouldn't have cash for up front ('cuz children are crazy expensive, yo). As long as I pay off the loan on time, no interest is charged. I'm actually planning on using it this coming holiday season to snag a PS4 Pro for my son and I.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19776 on: September 29, 2017, 01:05:49 PM »
I'm actually planning on using it this coming holiday season to snag a PS4 Pro for my son and I.

What a good dad.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19777 on: September 29, 2017, 03:11:03 PM »
For 20+ years Inhad no credit card in my family. In the last 3 years I've built my credit up quickly and now have 3. I still find it semi useless, but the luxury of attaching it to my phone and paying for things with a swipe of my phone is pretty swanky.

TASTY!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19778 on: September 29, 2017, 03:48:44 PM »
I'm insane and refuse to shop at either amazon or best buy, they are another in a long string of soulless corporations that kill off local business (and make one or two people absurdly rich at the expense of hundreds of thousands of others).  My conscience won't let me be privy to those sort of organizations (at least willingly, because I realize that I HAVE to buy from certain giant conglomerates when there is no other option) when if I just spend a few bucks more I know my money will go towards supporting business practices that I agree with.

That's part of the reason I don't have a credit card.  Their business model just seems predatory.

sorry for the rant.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #19779 on: September 29, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »
We already know where you stand on "big business", Rucks. No buzz-killing allowed on Fridays.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19780 on: September 29, 2017, 05:34:11 PM »
I'm insane and refuse to shop at either amazon or best buy, they are another in a long string of soulless corporations that kill off local business (and make one or two people absurdly rich at the expense of hundreds of thousands of others).  My conscience won't let me be privy to those sort of organizations (at least willingly, because I realize that I HAVE to buy from certain giant conglomerates when there is no other option) when if I just spend a few bucks more I know my money will go towards supporting business practices that I agree with.

That's part of the reason I don't have a credit card.  Their business model just seems predatory.

sorry for the rant.

A lot of small business sell their products through Amazon.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #19781 on: September 29, 2017, 08:38:47 PM »
Left work early because I was feeling like shit.
Back home I'm freezing so I put on tons of clothes and go to sleep under covers.
Wake up boiling and remove all clothes.

Well, that's a fever for sure. Now to find out what's paired with it.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #19782 on: September 29, 2017, 09:09:01 PM »
(As for emergencies, most people have some cash on them in case their card fails, but nowadays you can also do things like use your smart phone for small payments.)
Oh right cash is a thing. I almost never use it. XD If both my debit card and my credit card (as I don't really carry around my Amazon or Best Buy cards) simultaneously failed, well I'd be screwed.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19783 on: September 29, 2017, 09:41:02 PM »
Back to @Agent D's plane pull... is it getting televised or streamed anywhere?  Because I'd want to watch.
Uhh....idk actually. I'm gonna have a video of my team's attempt for sure, but as far as an actual televised thing, search me. Maybe on the local news channels in new jersey, it's being held at Newark airport.

I figured as much.  It was perhaps too much for me to think that with it being at a big airport and such a large scale event in terms of feat (I mean, teams of people are pulling a freaking plane) it would get more coverage.  They'll televise a hot dog eating contest but not a plane pull (which I think is infinitely cooler).  I get that one's a charity event and one's a commercialized glory event, but...

Definitely post a link of your team's video because I want to see it. 

As for my haps, I have a lot of things happening in my life right now (both positive and not so positive) but I don't feel like unloading. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19784 on: September 30, 2017, 11:05:26 AM »
Pulling up to the airport now. We pull in about 2 hours. I'm so not excited I can't even feign enthusiasm. Fuck mornings.

TASTY!