Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20160 on: February 05, 2018, 07:47:13 PM »
I live in Eagles country and everyone's ecstatic.

And rightfully so! They're such majestic birds. However, it seems a bit early for them to-

[Sports Talk]

...Oh...I'll see myself out...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20161 on: February 07, 2018, 05:17:30 PM »
Go Piggers! http://theoatmeal.com/pl/working_home/piggers

(And somewhere in the midst of my Olympics, March Madness, World Cup watching, I will try to catch some grand tour cycling, rugby, and I am determined to catch another of those rare fleeting moments when ESPN3 or somesuch televises a cricket match.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:31:33 PM by Dincrest »
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20162 on: February 12, 2018, 02:13:35 PM »
Yesterday was a convention day. Didn't sleep much, because nightmares kept waking me up.

First one, I happened to meet a fellow fan on the train. We started comparing phone charms and then the train crashed and we all died.

Second one the train was delayed and I tried to grab some breakfast. While waiting in line, someone grabbed my shoulder bag (the Important Bag with my laptop, wallet, phone and our craft's club little money box) and ran. I managed to tackle the thief, but then people started accusing me of stealing his bag!

Third one, everything tiny thing I did took way more time than logical and around 2PM I still wasn't on my train and I obviously ruined everything for everyone.

Anyway, because I woke up way too early I was able to take it easy that morning and the journey to the convention was uneventful as well. Then I got there the people behind the register wasn't sure what bracelet to give me, so they let me in to ask a staff member. Its', uh, nice there are still some people out there that trust others? After some running around (this is going to be a theme), I got my bracelet (shiny teal!). I was thinking I'd be able to take it easy for a bit, but I barely got a chance to drop off my bags out our table before I was kidnapped to make an appearance on stage during the opening. What I really wanted to do, though, was use the bathroom. I quickly snuck out to use the nearest one, but there was basically a small horde of cosplayers in there and I noped out. I checked backstage as well, but the dressing room that was open was in use by a man halfway through changing into some flamboyant dancewear. I sort of assumed it'd be rude to just storm in there, so I held it instead.

After my bit on stage was done, I rushed back to our table. Fortunately, the other club members are awesome people and they'd already put my stuff on there. I made tea for everyone and when I went to refill the thermos, I discovered something awesome: I'm allowed to pass through the most amazing and special door that connects the vendor area and the gopher and staff lounges. That's where the water cooker is! I mean, sure, I'm quite adept at dodging convention goers and most volunteers at the various checkpoints recognise me by now, but still, this made things so much easier! After getting back with the liquid loot, I rushed off to my first workshop thingie.

That's when I found out what my longtime friend and partner for the writing workshop/competition had no familiarity with the concept of a relay race. Which was not good, because the competition was basically a relay race. Whoops. Fortunately, after some improv comedy our improv writing competition took an improv shape and everyone ended up having fun. Team Dwarf was the clear winner, but our runner-up, Team Guinea Pig, deserved extra praise for being a makeshift team that managed to beat the odds with their bold shojo parody. The other two teams, French Kiss and Smurf, made everyone laugh as well, so it really was time well spend.

After rushing back to fetch my laptop for my next event (a panel about boys' love and yuri manga from the 70s, 80s and 90s), I learned there had been a slight laptop related panic. You see, I have this adorable pink Asus Transformer Book and while it only has a pathetic little micro HDMI port, it lives in a little bag filled with cables that let it hook up to outdated beamers and other fun stuff. But, as it turns out, the cluster of cables was bit of a challenge for the staff member who wanted to borrow it. So, panic. I was too busy at the time to fix it, sadly, but I still saved the day by hooking it up for our panel and showing the Transformer's true form! Not the tablet form. The other true form, the one that involves extra bits of cable and hooking up to ancient beamers.

The panel went well and right after I was running to another room. My tablet in disguise was needed for a pub quiz. Or maybe just the cables it came with were. Don't know, don't care. I pointed out there's cassette tape shaped flash drive in case they needed to transfer anything and ran back to the vendor room for a break. Some of the girls were off to a workshop, so I talked Gundam with the one who was there. Last year, I accidently infected her with the Gunpla virus and now she's way more into it than I am. That seems to happen often. There's a member who hated knitting and I was like, "It's not so bad, I'll show you!" And now she spins her own yarn and wears fancy handknitted dresses while I'm like "I made a scarf. It has stripes."

But speaking of Gundam - Newtype flash! The charity auction had started and my intuition was telling me the rainbow scarf and sparkly rainbow flower unicorn we donated might not be on stage yet! I ran to the staff room and lo' and behold, the bag they were in was still sitting under a table! I made my way back to the stage in record time and one of the stage hands quickly and quietely deposited the scarf in the box with good to be sold. But oh no! The unicorn! By the grace of a strong throwing arm, it made it into the safe arms of the lovely assistant. All was well, and I ran off to get some well-deserved lunch. At 3PM. And it was only one taiyaki, so it was more like a snack but still, glorious food! I ate it as slowly as I could and made it back to the main stage to see a small bidding war unfold for the scarf. It was eventually sold for €50. Nice.

I went back to our table in the vendor area afterwards for another cup of tea before I had to rush to my next event. The Pink Laptop That Could was already waiting to be hooked up. Then I realised that I hadn't had anything to drink aside from two small cups of tea, so I quickly chugged the water in my Dopper before it was my turn to introduce myself. I'm not entirely sure how the audience thought that looked, but I really needed it. The panel, which was about meta storytelling in games, accidently moved to fairytales, but I managed to bring it back on track by bringing up The Guided Fate Paradox, proving that I was still very much alive and awake, thank you very much.

When the panel ended, it was almost time to pack our vendor stuff up. I made a quick round through the vendor area to look for self-published comics to review, but most artists focus on illustrations now (which brings in much more money) and I slunk back to our table empty handed. Had a quick chat with everyone, packed up and the five of us took a polaroid to prove we had fun this anime convention. It will also prove that my 'clone' and I are not in fact the same person.

On the way out, I quickly reunited with a childhood friend. In the old days, she was a normal person, now she's weird like me and a volunteer at the manga library. It went like "Hi!" and "Bye!" Next anime convention, we might have time to talk.

The journey home was a smooth one. I was lucky, and friends gave me ride to a train station closer to my final destination, making the trip back both shorter and more convenient. The idea of going to a McDo was tossed around, but in the end they decided that fastfood is a bad habit and that I'm a robot and don't need food.

How's that for a haps entry?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:16:21 PM by Tomara »

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20163 on: February 12, 2018, 02:22:36 PM »
^ you're a robot because you never mentioned actually getting to use the bathroom

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20164 on: February 12, 2018, 02:37:25 PM »
^ you're a robot because you never mentioned actually getting to use the bathroom
Dude, get with pee bags.

TASTY!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20165 on: February 12, 2018, 02:40:40 PM »
Oh, I was able to go during my tea quest, in case you're wondering (why are you wondering? That's weird...). There weren't as many cosplayers getting ready then, though it was still a challenge to get to the sink and wash my hands. Next time, I'll just confirm with a male friend which male restrooms have urinals and use one that doesn't instead when I identify as a person who really, really needs to pee.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20166 on: February 16, 2018, 02:39:34 PM »
Apparently YouTube thought I should really watch videos from some dude who just films ordinary Dutch cyclists/cycling routes and it's fascinating. Okay, as a Dutch person the videos are very 'been there, done that', but the comments give a lot of insight into cycling cultures in other western countries.

Some commenters praise the Netherlands for having such great infrastructure for cyclists, and I guess you can't argue with that. However, they seem to really idealise the cycling itself, saying it must be like heaven to be able go to school/work by just hopping on your bike. Even the vids with snow get responses like that! Which feels weird, because to us, bicycles are just a convenient mode of transportation, even when the weather is kind of shitty. Only a few commentors understand the actual freedom it offers: you don't need much for cycling, yet you can get almost anywhere on a bike. Cycling means independence for minors, the poor, the elderly and disabled, the city dwellers who don't want to compete for parking spots, and okay, drunks who want to get home slightly faster.

Others mention that they barely see any overweight people, as if we don't have a growing obesity problem. Well we do, sadly. It's just that they're in cars and you don't see to many cars in those videos. Cycling may be something every Dutch person learns, but just like everywhere else, some people develop bad habits, like taking the car to run some simple errands that could easily be done by bike.

There are also always people (usually Americans) who freak out because nobody aside from sport cyclists wears a helmet. For everyone of those there are five people explaining that our infrastructure is highly developed and bicycle oriented, that the Dutch learn how to ride at a very young age, that managing to fall on your head while riding on one of our utility bikes is a skill in and of itself, and that helmets just provide a false sense of safety in most scenarios you see on our roads.

But what might be most amazing is that people think we all ride the same bicycles. We don't, seriously! Sure, you mostly see city bikes and similar types (such as the classic 'omafiets'), but they come in a large variety of models from different manufacturers, and there's so much extra stuff you can put on them, from bags for grocery shopping to fancy child seats that are almost as expensive as the bike itself. It's just that most of us don't care much for gimmicky colours. "But wouldn't girls want a fun color like pink?" some commenters ask. Well, they do, when they're in first grade. But when they're a little older it's much more trendy for girls to not stand out. They want something like the Gazelle Miss Grace, and perhaps something even simpler when they're in high school. Some of the artsy types get a really old bicycle and paint it in funky colours, but they're a minority. I had a yellow bike in high school for two simple reason: it makes it easy to find in the bicycle rack and nobody is going to steal a bike that's so easy to recognise. (Okay, three reasons: some of the best robots are yellow.) The number of times it was vandalised for being different... Let's not talk about that. But it never got stolen, despite me forgetting to lock it a few times. Yay!

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:57:12 PM by Tomara »

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20167 on: February 16, 2018, 04:54:05 PM »
When I was a kid in the Netherlands, my friends and I practically lived on our bicycles.  It was a bit of a culture shock coming to the US and it not exactly being the most bicycle friendly place.  To this day, it still irks me how many bicycle riders don't know/follow the rules of the road.  You're supposed to ride to the right, WITH the flow of traffic. However, when I visited my cousins in Colorado last summer, I marveled at how that state had fantastic infrastructure for cyclists compared to where I live in New Jersey. 

Anyway, haps... Winter Olympic coverage has been going nuts in covering curling.  Apparently there is a massive fascination with the sport and people are absolutely mesmerized by it.  I'm trying to see what the big deal is, but I simply can't.  Like, I respect the sport for being very much about subtlety, which is in stark contrast to most sports out there, but I fail to see so appealing about watching it.  I don't even understand the game at all, really, and I think it's almost as boring to watch as baseball.  I guess curling is one of those sports where people either love it or are uncultured/uncouth heathen like me who just don't get it.  Then again, I do like watching cricket (which is a sport I don't quite understand and most people think is dreadfully dull) so what do I know? 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:39:28 PM by Dincrest »
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20168 on: February 17, 2018, 12:27:13 AM »
I always thought people "enjoyed" curling due to it being so different from most of the other events, and so people who weren't so into sports would be into it ironically.  I have absolutely no idea if that's true or not.  Personally I find the Olympics boring in their entirety so I haven't been following it.

I did watch the whole superbowl, which is uncharacteristic of me.  I'm not an eagles fan per se, but I'm glad they finally won something.

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20169 on: February 17, 2018, 09:19:56 AM »
So curling is a "hipster" sport then.  As for  winter Olympics, my favorite events were always the sledding events: luge, skeleton, bobsled.  I particularly like luge and skeleton.  Skeleton sliders always have the coolest helmets. 

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20170 on: February 17, 2018, 11:15:53 AM »
I always thought people "enjoyed" curling due to it being so different from most of the other events, and so people who weren't so into sports would be into it ironically.  I have absolutely no idea if that's true or not.
I find curling interesting because it alternates a tactical element with a skill-based element.  In the planning stage, you try to figure out how best to get your stones into scoring position, while blocking your opponent from doing the same thing on their turn.  In the execution stage, you throw the stone as accurately as possible...and then desperately try to fine-tune its trajectory without touching it.

Since I live in a part of Canada where curling rinks are as plentiful as bowling alleys, I went on a curling field trip in elementary school.  It's not really the sort of thing I'd do for recreation, but I got enough of an appreciation for it to enjoy watching it occasionally.

So curling is a "hipster" sport then.
Curling is about as hipster as golf.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20171 on: February 17, 2018, 07:29:46 PM »
I like curling because the girls teams are pretty!

TASTY!

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20172 on: February 17, 2018, 09:21:36 PM »
If we're going to go there, I think the most attractive Winter Olympics athletes are the alpine skiers.  In womens' super-G skiing, all three who medaled were quite striking, especially bronze medalist Tina Weirather of Liechtenstein.  And it's no surprise that snowboarders Chloe Kim and Red Gerard are popular among the high school students I teach. 

Aside: Sledding events (e.g. luge, skeleton, bobsled) and alpine skiing events (e.g. slalom, super g, downhill) are my favorite Winter Olympic events to watch. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:57:52 PM by Dincrest »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20173 on: February 18, 2018, 06:25:20 AM »
Cutest girl this Olympics is Esmee Visser. She was a true underdog (well, relatively speaking anyway), couldn't believe she qualified for the games in the first place and is probably still surprised she won a gold medal. And how she's both modest and so incredibly genuinely happy about her victory is adorable.

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20174 on: February 18, 2018, 09:39:41 AM »
Cutest girl this Olympics is Esmee Visser. She was a true underdog (well, relatively speaking anyway), couldn't believe she qualified for the games in the first place and is probably still surprised she won a gold medal. And how she's both modest and so incredibly genuinely happy about her victory is adorable.

I feel the same about Ester Ledecka of Czech Republic after she won gold in super G.  She was in such utter disbelief, even standing on the podium, it was adorable.  And what put her over the top was when she did a news conference in her ski goggles after her upset win saying that she didn't even expect to be at the ceremony and hadn't even put on makeup.  She's primarily a snowboarder, so she definitely seems to have that more proverbial "laid-back" snowboarder personality. 

This has been an Olympics of surprises.  Chris Mazdzer winning the first men's singles luge medal in US history was pretty sick (dude seems to have a great personality).  And the overwhelming favorite, Felix Loch of Germany, didn't even medal. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:52:11 AM by Dincrest »