Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20175 on: February 19, 2018, 02:56:54 PM »
I like curling because the girls teams are pretty!

Beat me to it.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20176 on: February 20, 2018, 05:47:38 PM »
Only a French woman could say, "I broke my ass and need a painkiller" in a post-event interview and make it sound incredibly charming; almost classy and dignified even.  (I refer to halfpipe skiing silver medalist Marie Martinod.) 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #20177 on: February 20, 2018, 07:36:17 PM »
Just got a new Cintiq.
Playing through Zelda.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20178 on: February 25, 2018, 03:22:59 PM »
Another convention day. I was a sorta visitor for the first time in ages (only had one workshop in the afternoon), reason being that I was chaperoning one of my younger cousins (age 13). Apparently I'm now at that age where I serve as a mentor/makeshift parental figure for young female teenagers whose names start with an E.

This was her first real anime convention and her first time really cosplaying (her cosplay: Wendy from Gravity Falls). Fortunately, this was one of those small conventions where I knew nearly everyone that mattered. So first up was a visit to the best princess and her cosplay repair point, because I'm no hero when it comes to wigs, especially ones that are that long. Lea wasn't quite awake yet and sewed in the clasps upside down first. That's a very Lea thing to do and that's okay. Sadly, there was no bucket of tomatoes to snack on while waiting this time, but I did get cookies and juicy gossip information of strategic importance regarding the behind the scenes happenings of certain organisations.

Next up was a quick tour through the building and saying 'hi' to people in the dealerroom. Well, half of it was saying 'hi', the other half was a verbal lashing for someone representing an organisation that takes advantage of their volunteers. I'm not a fan of people who exploit good will. You can't just demand respect and not give any in return. This is why their organisation now consists of incompetent people who feel brilliant for reinventing the wheel and making it oval: all the good ones fled and rightfully so.

Then we were off to the manga library to say 'hi', get something to drink and develop a plan of action for the rest of the day. No tea, sadly, but the lemonade was nice. At one point I jumped in to save the library volunteers from having to listen to a bad idea by explaining the intricacies of international anime and manga licensing.

Anyway, the plan of action:
1. Eat taiyaki
2. Attend a writing workshop
3. Attend a lecture about planning (large) cosplay projects
4. Eat these amazing fries that has this slight hint of paprika and black pepper
5. I host my kumihimo workshop while she goes of on her own

It was a good enough plan, but I was always worried about her not having enough fun. She's bad at chosing and not very assertive, so at first I was basically pointing things out and giving her two, at most three options, and hoping they were good ones. It felt like a real victory when she went off on her own for an hour. I had chosen this convention specifically, because it would be very safe for her to do so. Our 'saying hi' tour was basically introducing her to people I know and trust, the ones she could turn to if I for some reason wasn't available. It wasn't until we were on her way back she said with a big smile on her face that she had a great day.

(You know what also helps having fun? Being the cute younger cousin of a person with connections. Suffice to say, she got plenty of free stuff and positive attention.)

Edit: just realised why that representative I talked to is a dipshit. That greenhorn lives in a world in which everyone in their late teens seems to want to be instagram famous and/or promote their youtube channel. He thinks that anyone and everyone wanting to give lectures or host workshops is doing it for their own gain, which is an incredibly shitty attitude to have towards well, everyone else. Japanese history guy has nothing to gain from talking about the Shinsengumi or the Sino-Japanese war. He doesn't have a Youtube channel to promote or anything like that, he's just a history buff who enjoys sharing his knowledge. I don't get anything from teaching people how to braid Japanese style. We have them make mobidai from cardboard and use leftover cotton yarn for material so we can offer the workshop for free and people can take everything they need with them afterwards. I don't sell the material or the finished product, it's just something fun to do we can offer for next to nothing (most conventions give me a dayticket as compensation). Oh well, time to contact representative's boss and tell him he's still working with people who have a rather twisted attitude towards their volunteers and guests.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:29:11 AM by Tomara »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20179 on: February 26, 2018, 11:12:39 AM »
Went camping over the weekend.  When people say to warm up and stretch before swimming, I'd advise listening.  Strained a pectoral muscle.  Not too bad, but occasionally painful depending on the motion I make and made sleep difficult.

Other than that, I played some Settlers of Catan with my family, which was awesome.  I won, barely, with my wife trying to egg everyone into trading all their cards to her so she could go out before my turn.  And we also played something called Monopoly Gamer, which was actually fun, unlike normal Monopoly.

And I ate way too much meat: short ribs, fire-grilled hot dogs, sausage patties, bacon.  It was pretty amazing.  Kinda want a salad now, though.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20180 on: February 26, 2018, 11:44:14 AM »
It's not board game night until you've argued about the nature and/or intent of the rules to the point that someone threatens to quit

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20181 on: February 26, 2018, 12:01:03 PM »
Yeah, that pretty much happened.  My bro-in-law was reading the rules, and I was like "Let me see those", because they weren't making sense.  So he handed them to me, got up from the table, and didn't return. :P
He wasn't upset, he just really didn't care.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20182 on: February 26, 2018, 02:56:24 PM »
Man....I want a hot dog right about now...

TASTY!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20183 on: March 01, 2018, 03:27:17 PM »
In case anyone's wondering, this is my bow and it's mine:

It really feels like I've come a long way. A year ago, when I tried it for the first time, it was actually a bit too heavy and people thought it bad idea. But I trained, building up to it, and I can hold it drawn and steady for 6+ seconds now. And it feels like I gained the approval of the former owner. He went from 'you can't do this' to 'you can do better' whenever a shot isn't all that great. I even sort of 'won' yesterday. We were shooting Christmas ornaments again, and when you hit them just right/wrong, they fall to the floor and bounce away. That happened to his, so he aimed at my target instead. Our arrows hit at the exact same moment, and it looked like they both pierced the bauble, but upon closer inspection his was half a centimeter off and mine hit true.

Okay, it wasn't actually a competition, but my arrow hit and his didn't, so I want to believe that's a win for me.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20184 on: March 01, 2018, 04:04:54 PM »
Gotta say, that's an amazingly slick looking piece of gear there, Tomara.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20185 on: March 01, 2018, 04:38:38 PM »
It is, it's fairly old, but it's always been well taken care off and it mostly sat in storage the past decade. One of our best archers actually has a very similar bow (same riser and limbs, but different sight and so on) in a darker silver.

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20186 on: March 01, 2018, 05:53:44 PM »
. We were shooting Christmas ornaments again, and when you hit them just right/wrong, they fall to the floor and bounce away. That happened to his, so he aimed at my target instead. Our arrows hit at the exact same moment, and it looked like they both pierced the bauble, but upon closer inspection his was half a centimeter off and mine hit true.

OMG, you're Robin Hood!!
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #20187 on: March 01, 2018, 08:43:45 PM »
Returned my Cintiq for being shitty. Getting a Intuos pro instead
Playing Zelda and waiting on NiNoKuni.

Teach me how to use a bow

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20188 on: March 03, 2018, 04:32:33 AM »
The guild's barbeque was ruined... The food was ordered a week in advance, there was even a reminder send on the morning of. Then evening came. 19:30 - nothing, 20:00 - nothing, 20:30 - still nothing. One very concerned call later and we get a "Wait, that was today?"

Sure, most people don't go out in -5 degrees celsius weather to barbeque, but it's tradition. It's fun to huddle around the grill and food somehow tastes better if you had to prepare it in the freezing cold.

Indonesian-Chinese take-out was ordered around 21:00 and a little before 22:00 we finally had food. Well, I had rice and some greasy veggies that didn't really agree with me, but atleast many of the others liked this restaurant's food. I can't help but be disappointed though. I was really looking forward to the salads and these supposedly great veggie wraps even the non-vegeratians who had gotten catering from the butcher before were looking forward to.

In Zelda or IRL?

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20189 on: March 04, 2018, 07:45:09 AM »

In Zelda or IRL?

This got me thinking about something.  While so many things are far easier in video games than in real life (e.g. fishing, karate fighting, even dating), what instances are there where doing the real thing is easier than the video game? 

For me, I still think getting outside and playing American football in the park with a bunch of friends is easier in real life than in video games.  Yes, even Tecmo Bowl (which is my all time favorite football video game.)  Yeah, I could get hurt playing tackle, but hold ball- line up pass- throw is a simpler sequence to me than the multi-button rigmarole of a video game.