Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20220 on: March 17, 2018, 03:07:23 AM »
If you don't use it, you lose it. That goes for about anything but knowing how to ride a bicycle. And well, if you don't really learn in the first place... Yeah, I think there may be more people like that. On the other hand, social awkward people can now make friends more easily thanks to the internet. On the other other hand, end up in the wrong echochamber and you could end up with some very weird ideas.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20221 on: March 17, 2018, 07:40:09 AM »
And I will admit, because of March Madness, I'm talking more with random people since it's a near-universal community talking point that unites us.  March Madness is the one thing keeping me, my family, my friends, my students, my coworkers, and my community as a whole sane during this Miserable March.  So... anyone else fill out March Madness brackets?  I filled out both a men's and women's bracket. 

In the men's tournament, Buffalo and UMBC totally busted, like, everyone's brackets (though I actually picked Buffalo over Arizona in mine.)  And those weren't wire upsets, they were 20 point curbstomps.  My men's bracket is busted because I had Arkansas going to the Final Four, but Butler deserved that win.  They totally outplayed Arkansas who were all over the place.  Similarly, although I picked Wichita State over Marshall, Marshall 100% deserved that win, because they played tightly. 

But my women's bracket is looking great so far.  I even predicted the Minnesota upset over Green Bay, and my one knock so far was picking Elon over NC State.  But, man, that Villanova-South Dakota State game was incredible to watch.  But though the scrappy SDSU Jackrabbits forced an overtime, the 'Nova Wildcats simply had more stamina and won that battle of attrition.  Still, in both the men's and women's tournaments, the Jackrabbits should be proud, because they had highly skilled opponents (Ohio State and 'Nova) on the ropes. 

I must say, the formatting on the women's bracket sheet I printed out is far nicer than the men's bracket and gives me more information.  And, not for nothing, but during interviews, the girls are better spoken and more articulate than the guys who are mostly mush-mouthed mumblers.  I even had a student say to me that next year he wants to fill out a women's bracket too, so slowly but surely they'll hopefully get the recognition they deserve. 
"Yes, there's lots of things to do if you're not so busy huffing and puffing."
     -Leonard the Wolf (Sesame Street)

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20222 on: March 19, 2018, 09:11:50 AM »
I think you guys might be onto something with the people driving like butt holes in the mornings because the roads are emptier theory. It does make sense...
Just this morning, right before I got to my office, a guy in his awesomely 80s Trans Am very narrowly blew by me at a lane merger. Great way to start the week.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20223 on: March 20, 2018, 06:55:48 PM »
Snow day responses:

First snow day:  Yaaaaay!  Snow Day!!!!!!!

Second snow day:  Cool, a snow day!

Third snow day: Oh another snow day?  *shrug* Okay...

Fourth snow day:  No!!!!!  Not another snow day!  I am so *&^%$#@!* over this winter!!!

UPDATE: Fifth snow day: *jaw drop* *screaming a litany of expletives while angrily punching the walls because now TWO days have been taken away from spring break!* 

Seriously, March has been miserable March.  I don't care if today is the first day of spring, I'm not calling it spring until it's sunny enough for me to play outside.  It doesn't help that my March Madness men's bracket was straight up torched.  However, my women's bracket is still doing alright. 

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:58:27 PM by Dincrest »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20224 on: March 24, 2018, 12:12:48 PM »
I was shopping for new glasses today and ended up in a small independent store in some sidestreet. It looked nice and they had a dog! Couldn't find any frames I liked, so I decided I'd rather have new lenses put into my current ones, which they were happy to arrange, because my current frames are made of one of those flexy titatium alloys and are still in good shape. Then there was some confusion. I looked very familiar to them and they thought I had been there before. They felt bad about forgetting my name! "This is my first time here, but does the name R***** sound familiar?" And they're like: "Yes, it does actually." Apparently they vaguely know my clone/doppelganger/long lost twin/whatever from some place or another.

Or not. Later, I described these people (and their dog) to R and they don't sound familiar to her at all. So I guess there may be more copies. Awkward.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:27:47 PM by Tomara »

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20225 on: March 25, 2018, 07:04:59 AM »
Yesterday, I went to the matinee showing of Rock of Ages at the high school I work at.  It was a really fun musical about the 1980s glam metal scene in Los Angeles and the students did a great job with it.  The students who played Dennis, Justice, and Lonnie had my favorite performances of the show, particularly Dennis's actor.  I knew I'd enjoy it since I grew up listening to 80s rock music on the radio as a kid whenever mom or dad drove me somewhere and it's what planted the seed that made me the rocker/metalhead/punk I am today.  I knew all except maybe one song, so I was totally singing along.  This was the high school edition so some of the more risque elements were obviously toned down and some scenes were shortened, but the messages were all still clear. 

And it's still crazy to think how far high school plays have come since I was in high school.  The production values and quality of performances have gone through the roof.  I've been to professional productions that weren't nearly as good as what my school/workplace has done the past few years (their production of Les Miserables last year was extraordinary, and I thoroughly loved Hairspray 3 years ago.) 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 07:07:31 AM by Dincrest »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20226 on: March 25, 2018, 03:53:17 PM »
Finally moved out of my previous, shitty apartment on Wednesday. Still unpacking a few things, but the new one I got has been a huge step up in terms of comfort. Before I had to deal with poor air circulation, cockroaches (at least when I moved in), a leaky radiator that went ignored despite numerous complaints until the guy from under me started complaining about a huge hole in his ceiling barely a week before I moved out, and a lousy neighbor who consistantly smoked various substances (despite being in a non-smoking building and no, no one was reprimanding him for it. Frequent communication issues with the management agency was another big problem I'm glad I no longer have to deal with), and shouting seemed to be his only method of communication, even when he wasn't blaring loud music from his expensive sound system at odd hours...

The new place is quiet, clean, roomier, and I'll only have one neighbor eventually to deal with (currently I'm the only tenant in the building, and it's just 2 apartments, anyways). Clean shag carpets, heat I can regulate myself, and plenty of natural light, overlooking a decent neighborhood for once. Obviously it might be a bit more expensive in the rent, but I should be able to afford it. If not, there's enough places I can try to apply for a part time job if I need to - I've learned my lesson and I'll fight tooth and nail to keep a good place like this.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20227 on: March 26, 2018, 06:41:51 PM »
Congrats on the upgraded place, Mickeymac.  Life in general feels better when you're living in a nicer place.  Hopefully your potential neighbor is a civilized human being. 

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20228 on: April 02, 2018, 02:34:20 AM »
Went to another convention this weekend, but this one was held in large exhibition halls and focused more on western popculture. It was the first time acting a sales person for the magazine, and it was hard. The sound management throughout the hall was bad, and even back in one of the  vendor areas I was overwhelmed by the amount of sound coming from the event areas. It made it very hard to hear what people were saying.

I want to say the scale of it all was amazing, but frankly, I prefer the more cozy conventions. For instance, I wanted to say hello to some people I know or even work(ed) with, but several of them were locked behind tight signing schedules - tickets available at the counter. These things are less fun when friends are DLC.

I haven't even gotten to the worst thing yet: my own fuck-ups. My facial recognition software is bad. Not 'what are black people?' bad, indiscriminately bad. Usually this is not much of a problem, because contexts and an eye for details give me enough to work with before I get caught being an inconsiderate dumbass. That was not the case this weekend. For what it's worth, I hadn't seen my former editor-in-chief in nearly five years and back in the good old days, I was a freelancer that barely saw the inside of the main office. That said, I'm still going to beat myself up for this for the next decade or two.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20229 on: April 03, 2018, 06:59:29 AM »
Credit card company mails me three identical notices that they've acknowledged and updated my change in address.... all three of them were addressed to my old residence. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDGyPRr9-AE

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 07:02:42 AM by Dincrest »

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #20230 on: April 03, 2018, 08:59:53 AM »
Credit card company mails me three identical notices that they've acknowledged and updated my change in address.... all three of them were addressed to my old residence. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDGyPRr9-AE

It's always a question of "Am I dealing with stupidity, incompetence or laziness."
Although as opposed to the time/money/quality triangle, here, it's possible to be all 3.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20231 on: April 03, 2018, 04:54:00 PM »
Common sense is not very common, it seems. 

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20232 on: April 06, 2018, 11:16:58 PM »
There's a recently abandoned Subway restaurant near my apartment. I walk by it on the way home. Almost every single day for the last two weeks or so, there's been this goose standing outside, staring in through the glass front door. Not even acting aggressive or defending something. Just... staring.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20233 on: April 07, 2018, 02:55:08 AM »
There's a recently abandoned Subway restaurant near my apartment. I walk by it on the way home. Almost every single day for the last two weeks or so, there's been this goose standing outside, staring in through the glass front door. Not even acting aggressive or defending something. Just... staring.

Aw, it's the Hachi of Subway!

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #20234 on: April 10, 2018, 07:18:05 PM »
Today there was an online quiz/contest throughout the entire corporation.
I hacked the thing and made myself #1 by a crazy amount. It was ridiculously easy.
Like, I'm not even a hacker at all, I just know a bit about web services and servers (and even then... I'm way worst than people who studied that stuff or do it for a living / hobby)

It lasted for a while and eventually someone went and kinda fixed it. They lowered me, but I'm still #2 because I guess they didn't spot the other modification I did to my score.

Oh well, if I somehow don't get beaten, I'll refuse the prize.
I'm pretty sure the #1 spot is also someone who cheated because that score looks about as legit as mine.

(Yes, this is why you can't have nice things)