I hate my job.

and my life.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20236 on: April 11, 2018, 05:19:01 PM »
There's a recently abandoned Subway restaurant near my apartment. I walk by it on the way home. Almost every single day for the last two weeks or so, there's been this goose standing outside, staring in through the glass front door. Not even acting aggressive or defending something. Just... staring.

This is why (even with Discord hoppin like it is) we should all still check the forums.  You're a treasure Mesh.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • I have nothing funny to say
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20237 on: April 11, 2018, 06:02:57 PM »
Thinking about going back to school.
I hate my job.

and my life.

You probably hear this all the time, but if/when you make that decision to go back to school, make sure you do it in such a way that you don't put yourself into even greater debt.  You remember how that real estate bubble burst in 2008 and peoples' lives collapsed all over the country?  The school loan bubble is headed in that exact same direction.  In addition, do your homework about schools and don't fall into the trap of non-accredited, bogus, for-profit, scam schools like Thunderbird University or something.  You don't want your degree to be worth less than the paper it's printed on. 

One option that I see a lot of returning/adult learners taking is going to community college.  That way, you can explore courses of study, get credits, and should you decide to go beyond an Associates, you won't be indebted to a bigger college as long.  Plus, a lot of community colleges have partnerships with state universities, so you can get a good education at a decent price through course credit transfers. 
"If marriage were a woman's grave, as the proverb claimed, sixteen year-old Kaiya suspected the emperor was arranging her funeral." 
     -The beginning of Songs of Insurrection by J.C. Kang

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20238 on: April 12, 2018, 10:20:24 AM »
You remember how that real estate bubble burst in 2008 and peoples' lives collapsed all over the country?  The school loan bubble is headed in that exact same direction.

If it weren't for the whole lives-collapsing thing I'd almost be glad to see that happen.  Biggest scam ever.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20239 on: April 12, 2018, 04:21:30 PM »
We just shot a little promotional movie for an upcoming guild event to recruit new members, and it's basically a few of us doing our thing badly on purpose as a friendly challenge to newcomers. "Think you can do better? Come visit blablabla." Since people find me weirdly approachable (I can walk around with my half-asleep zombie gaze and headphones, and strangers will still aproach me to tell me all about how the government is conspiring against them), I agreed to fuck up some archery. I hadn't shot barebow in ages, so I grabbed the lightest training bow we had and... actually did pretty okay during my warm-up shots. Not good. So then I just kinda stopped aiming and did worse. The plan was to do the third and final arrow a couple of times to get the best worst shot.

That's when everything went perfect/absolutely wrong. I haven't been sleeping well the past couple of weeks. I was tired, I had an headache and I just wanted to be done. Muscle memory took over and I fired. Great, right? Except that muscle memory is relevant to my own bow, which weighs like 2,5kg with stabilisation on it and has a draw weight of ~28 pounds. This was a piece of wood with a string we give to grannies. I overshot the target, the arrow bounced off the wall and with a giggly non-vocal 'oh shit' I turned towards the camera and said my lines and I said them well.

The persoon shooting the little promo was very happy with the result. If the other archers see this, and they will, I won't be able to live this down for a long time.

I do not know how to feel about this.

I'm probably going to lose some more sleep.

Awesome.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20240 on: April 12, 2018, 06:20:58 PM »
You remember how that real estate bubble burst in 2008 and peoples' lives collapsed all over the country?  The school loan bubble is headed in that exact same direction.

If it weren't for the whole lives-collapsing thing I'd almost be glad to see that happen.  Biggest scam ever.

It's almost equivalent to the subprime mortgage scam where you're promised a Ferrari dream at a Chevy price. 

But quietly, there are colleges out there really bucking the system.  Like Berea College with its innovative tuition free model. 
"If marriage were a woman's grave, as the proverb claimed, sixteen year-old Kaiya suspected the emperor was arranging her funeral." 

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #20241 on: April 13, 2018, 10:13:37 PM »
Thinking about going back to school.
I hate my job.

and my life.

You probably hear this all the time, but if/when you make that decision to go back to school, make sure you do it in such a way that you don't put yourself into even greater debt.  You remember how that real estate bubble burst in 2008 and peoples' lives collapsed all over the country?  The school loan bubble is headed in that exact same direction.  In addition, do your homework about schools and don't fall into the trap of non-accredited, bogus, for-profit, scam schools like Thunderbird University or something.  You don't want your degree to be worth less than the paper it's printed on. 

One option that I see a lot of returning/adult learners taking is going to community college.  That way, you can explore courses of study, get credits, and should you decide to go beyond an Associates, you won't be indebted to a bigger college as long.  Plus, a lot of community colleges have partnerships with state universities, so you can get a good education at a decent price through course credit transfers.

Its different from a housing bubble. You can walk away from a bad mortage, you can't walk away from student loan debt. So the banks are eventually gonna get paid.

But yea many community colleges are excellent. Here in Maryland we have some fantastic ones.

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #20242 on: April 13, 2018, 10:24:14 PM »
Yeah I was talking about Community College. Iv seen family with student loans and its waaay to crazy.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20243 on: April 13, 2018, 11:18:27 PM »
Its different from a housing bubble. You can walk away from a bad mortage, you can't walk away from student loan debt. So the banks are eventually gonna get paid.

True.  Even if you declare bankruptcy, student loan debt does not get forgiven and you still have to pay the piper.  Makes no dagnab sense. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 07:32:20 AM by Dincrest »

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20244 on: April 14, 2018, 10:55:29 AM »

True.  Even if you declare bankruptcy, student loan debt does not get forgiven and you still have to pay the piper.  Makes no dagnab sense.

Or go into public service.  Pay your loans for 10 years and then (usually) the rest is forgiven.  It's a great way to subsidize lower paying jobs where you have to get expensive degrees to be qualified.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20245 on: April 18, 2018, 12:44:34 PM »
I've decided I'm going to sell my PC and get a PS4. I thought I wanted to be a PC guy, but it turns out, I don't.... For the record, I've never cared about PC vs. console fanboy bullshit nonsense. I simply enjoy playing good video games. I grew up playing games on Commodore and Apple computers, so it was a close-to-home kind of decision at the time.
...I'm just tired of the variation in performance from one game to another, regardless of how good the PC's hardware may be. A newer game with apparently high requirements flows like water. A 5+ year old game with comparatively low requirements stutters like Porky Pig because of some irritatingly dumb issue with various hardware. Having to fruitlessly follow specific guides on tweaking annoyingly hidden settings to try to get games to run at an acceptable level takes time away from what I'm trying to do: play some galdurn vidya games. I've honestly been finding myself playing my PS3 much more often lately, even though I've already beaten almost all of the games I have for it.
I'm not knocking PC gaming. I see the appeal. I've had some seriously great times. I'm just saying it doesn't work for me at this point in my life. If I were single and not a parent (had abundant free time), I probably wouldn't care about this too much. However, my gaming sessions are erratic; and can vary greatly in length. I just want to be able to sit down and play some damn games.
I'll miss modding, but honestly, it's never made any game awesome enough for me to care for more than a few hours at the most. Plus, it can be time consuming to get that shit working right... IF it ends up working right.

Anyway, gonna start with Horizon Zero Dawn and Lego City Undercover (the latter for my little buddy ........and me, too).

tl;dr - Selling my PC and getting a PS4. No hate for PCs. Just not currently working out for me.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #20246 on: April 18, 2018, 01:40:02 PM »
I'm thinking about selling my xboxone. Its just so shitty performance wise. My ps4 just works. If I want to play xbox games I will just use my PC.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20247 on: April 21, 2018, 06:11:15 AM »

tl;dr - Selling my PC and getting a PS4. No hate for PCs. Just not currently working out for me.

Lately, it's been the opposite for me.  I've been finding myself veering away from consoles/handhelds in favor of playing games on my PC.  It helps that the kinds of games I like on consoles are very available on PC these days and that I have a good gamepad.  I don't have that great a PC now and there are other things in my life I'm saving up for, but I've been able to play some pretty solid games (for the site) and would definitely like a gaming PC in the future.  I may be done with handhelds since those tiny screens aren't helping my already poor eyesight and holding those things for long periods of time doesn't agree with my hands. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 05:00:41 PM by Dincrest »

Marshmallow

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • OH NO OH NO OH NO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20248 on: April 22, 2018, 12:26:38 PM »

Or go into public service.  Pay your loans for 10 years and then (usually) the rest is forgiven.  It's a great way to subsidize lower paying jobs where you have to get expensive degrees to be qualified.

Public service would be a good idea if your loan balance is inordinately high, but depending upon the situation you might end up paying more in interest this way than if you just focused on paying off your loans as quickly as possible.  My job would have qualified for loan forgiveness but my loan balance (~$20,000) was low enough that I was able to work a full-time and part time job and pay off my loans in 3 years.  Were I counting on the public service loan forgiveness I would still be paying off my loans today with about 3 years left before receiving loan forgiveness.

That said, I can see this being totally worth it if you have six-figure student loan debts or come close to it.  My wife is still paying off her ~$40,000 loan balance, and I'm sad that the loan forgiveness thing doesn't extend to spouses.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20249 on: April 25, 2018, 09:47:26 PM »
I hit a rough patch a few months back.  The whole depression/anxiety thing compounded with work-related stress started to have significant physical side effects, and although desperation isn't in my repertoire, the situation became a bit much to deal with.

I ended up asking for help throwing myself on the mercy of the system.  I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, with some OCD on the side.

I don't think any of the personnel involved understood exactly how bad it was--I'm really good at concealing my internal state--but I guess that doesn't matter.  I got myself a prescription for happy pills and a few sessions with a psychologist, and I'm feeling better.  Better than I have in years.

Now just because I've had a couple good weeks doesn't mean I'm out of the quicksand.  But y'know?  I think this might turn out okay.

On the downside, the meditation exercises haven't given me any superpowers yet.