• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20280 on: June 06, 2018, 06:42:27 PM »
The pan was a pain to clean.
You didn't use soap, did you??  :concern:
Of course not!  Who do you think I am?

I used an angle grinder.  When that proved inadequate, I applied chlorine trifluoride.  There's still a little bit of gunk on it, so later I'm going to take it into the backyard and employ the second most powerful force in the universe:  My right arm and a scrubbing brush.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20281 on: June 07, 2018, 09:03:05 AM »
Well that's good.  Best thing to do is go at it with steel wool and hot water while the pan is still hot.  Trust me, I'm pretty much an expert at these things.  I do *own* a cast iron skillet myself, you know.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20282 on: June 07, 2018, 06:43:19 PM »
As for haps...

Last Friday, I gave a speech at a conference for Special Education Advocacy.  It went very well, I've been invited to speak at the conference next year, and some people involved with other student advocacy and exceptionality organizations want to try and bring me in for more speaking engagements.  I just may have to put speaking engagements as another one of my side hustles. 

My new musical project is recording an album this summer and I'm really looking forward to getting back in the studio.  Our first studio date is later this month.

Thinking about these new adventures and my other project in building a home studio for voiceover work... I might have to rethink that favorite meme. 

I was never taken as a baby to begin my Jedi training
I never found Narnia in the back of the wardrobe at age 9
I never got my letter to Hogwarts at age 11
And I'm not counting on Gandalf to come knocking on my door when I'm 50. 

But why should I sit around waiting for things to happen?  Why should I wait for Gandalf to pop up on my doorstep?  I'll go on my own adventures (I already feel most adventurous on my bicycle) and create my own magic (via music, voiceovers, writing, and inspiring others.) 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20283 on: June 09, 2018, 04:08:18 PM »
Hey, if you land the right jobs, you can be a Jedi, a wizard and more!

Speaking of the elderly (j/k), I introduced my parents to Netflix. My account had an open spot and they'd been interested in it for a while now, but had no idea how to set it up. Hardest part was finding hardware for the app. Their PC is in the attic and there's no infrastructure to turn it into a media centre, their tablets and smartphones are too weak for proper streaming, they don't have a smart-TV, and their TV provider doesn't support the app (yet). I ended up setting up my Wii U for them. I can miss it for a few months. If they want to keep Netflix, I'll figure out a more permanent solution. Maybe I'll buy them a cheap used PS3. They don't have a Blu-Ray (or even DVD) player yet, so that would kill multiple birds with one stone.

My dad was really happy. He let my mom pick the first movie, but it was obvious he's looking forward to watching a whole bunch of scifi. He loves the genre, but there's not much of it on regular TV and his English is too limited to watch things with English subtitles. He rarely gets to unlock his true geek potential. Netflix should keep him busy for a while.

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20284 on: June 09, 2018, 06:42:47 PM »
I like my personal hybrid of educator/ voiceover artist/ bicyclist/ musician/ motivational speaker/ RPGFan writer and PR dude. 

As for haps, today was my first day in the studio with my current music project.  We didn't get as much accomplished as we wanted, but what we did get accomplished was good solid stuff.  I'd say it was a typical first day in the studio where there's early gremlins/hiccups, but towards the end once everyone has their groove, the magic happens.  We have some ground to make up during the remainder of our studio sessions, but I think we can make it happen.  I'm not only stoked to be recording an album, but am getting paid for my session time. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20285 on: June 11, 2018, 10:16:08 AM »
I played kickball for the first time in forever yesterday.  I'm out of shape.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20286 on: June 11, 2018, 03:47:31 PM »
Rode my book bike in the Pride Parade yesterday.  Anyone who could go through 40 minutes of that much positive energy and not come out with a smile has a heart of stone.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20287 on: June 11, 2018, 10:46:21 PM »
I have volunteer dill coming up all over the garden...except in the small patch where I actually tried to plant the stuff.  Why is it that this stuff grows easily when I don't want it, and refuses to cooperate when I do?  Even the tomatoes are better behaved.

I must travel once again to the Northern Wilderness, and consult with the Great Sages, there to learn the Secret of Dill.

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20288 on: June 17, 2018, 02:02:10 PM »
TOday was the first time this year I rode with my bicycle club.  What I thought would be a 34 mile ride turned out to be a 44 mile ride, and though I made it, those last 8 miles were rough.  I hadn't been riding as much as I wanted to (longest rides I've done so far were 15-18 miles), though I have keen keeping up with my gym workouts.  So I was glad I pushed myself and I guess I'm in better shape than I thought I was.  Still, I'm gonna feel this one tomorrow.  I am 40 after all.   
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 04:56:35 PM by Dincrest »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20289 on: June 18, 2018, 05:54:21 AM »
Survived another animeconvention, yay.

It was... an event.

I spend the most of the car trip there wedged into leftover space like a tetrimino. Still very grateful for the ride though, because the tram would have been much worse. Start-up was slow, because our team had a bunch of things to do during the hours we had for setting up, including but not limited to being held up at the front entrance by stewards and launching a rescue mission to retrieve the person stuck at the entrance.

Fortunately, we had a really good spot this time. Central isle, well lit, decent neighbours. The opposite of last year, really. We even managed to avoid Beef Jerky Guy. Now, Beef Jerky Guy is not a bad guy, but the flirting is just too much. I managed to dodge the bullet because I don't like meat, but one of my friends - eh, just imagine her as Fire Emblem's Ike but female talktive ("I bake for my friends!"- my friend, probably) - ended up as one of his favourites. She's asexual and if she had to choose, prefers women over men. So, yeah. Atleast we got some free stuff out of it, I guess.

I had two lectures on Friday, the first day. Game Localization drew a really good crowd, both quantity and quality-wise, despite the unpopular timeslot. Fan & Finances didn't do that well, but the few people there really appreciated it and this lecture may have made a real difference.

I found some time to eat, but what I ate - some sort of Japanese style vegan wrap thing - ended up a disappointment. Someone didn't wash the lettuce and I could hear the sand between my teeth. Went back to tell them someone made a mistake. I didn't want to make a big deal of it, but they offered me a free drink before I could walk away. For some reason they talked to me like I was a child. "It's a Japanese drink. You like Japanese drinks, right? I bet you'll like this drink!" I did not like the drink. I was sort of hoping they'd grab the green tea thing from the top shelf, but they ended up opening a Ramune for me. Female Ike ended up drinking it. Later on, I informed two staff members (both friends of mine) as revenge for treating me like a child. That sandy lettuce probably violated a health code regulation or two, so hah.

Saturday was a relatively quiet day. I worked befind our little booth for a while, my shojo manga lecture went well (another good crowd) and I had a fancy crepe with matcha cake, whipped cream, red bean paste and more for lunch. That was too sweet to be filling, so I got an onigiri elsewhere after that. Then back at the booth I just kind of crashed and they sent me outside to get some fresh air. Saw some cool Fire Emblem cosplayers there. I had wanted to talk to 'Takumi', but ended up fangirling over Samurai Flamenco with 'Kaze'. Our conversation was basically just half-sentences ("It becomes all weird..." "... but once you see what they're trying to do..." "... it all comes together!" "The cellphone!" "The feels were real!") and I'm not entirely sure the others could follow what we were talking about. Doubled over coughing for a bit and after that I shared some hard candies from my secret stash. Screw the rules, I have hidden pockets. After wandering outside some more, I returned to the booth refreshed.

Later that day, I:
- Saw Your Name on the big screen. I could have watched it at home, but my TV doesn't do the visuals justice, so it was nice to watch it like this. I'm glad I didn't cry, because that would have looked weird.
- Went to an comic artists panel just to support some friends and acquaintances, but it turned out they didn't really need any filler. It was fun to see some of their old work though.
- Mentioned wanting to check out the Side 7 room and the empty party slots were quickly filled by people who actually did buy things. Despite having a hand in creating a bunch of new Gundam fans, it still feels very lonely, because I'm like 90% series and 10% gunpla and they're all 50-100% gunpla.

Sunday was hectic and went by surprisingly fast for a Sunday. I started the day with an early lecture/quiz, which made it really difficult to keep my mood in check. Not because I don't like doing that particular event, but because the audience was... difficult. I was there as editor-in-chief Tamara, and some of my sorta-fans have, well, learning disabilities among other things. They're young adults, but cognitively they're more like young teenagers. Young teenagers that mistake my approachability for permission to be distruptive. And this was the type of event that was part game, part lecture. One of them had a very difficult time switching between the two and keeping their behaviour and energy-levels appropriate. I know a thing or two about teaching kids and regular young teenagers, but I have next to experience with people with pervasive learning disabilities, not to mention that I wasn't exactly a teacher in this context - I was a convention guest representing another organisation. Honestly, the whole experience made me rethink the concept despite having used it succesfully many times.

There's always such a big variety of people at this conventions. The young girls tend to be my favourite. More often than not, they're just so gosh darn happy to be at an event like this, overwhelmed but enjoying every moment of it. Their awareness of their surroundings makes them very polite. They're very focused on doing things properly. It's cute and, most importantly, hardly ever causes problems. I say hardly, because they can also be very shy. One my friends hosted a casual, low-key cosplay competition and one of the contestants was a 9-year-old girl dressed as Raven from Teen Titans. She froze up on stage and cried through the rest of the compo. Everyone was really supportive and I hope she had a good experience despite the anxiety attack.

Anyway, after the lecture/quiz I rushed to the room across from my current one to turn back into craftswoman Tamara and take charge of the kumihimo workshop. It was a full house, but what's so nice about this workshop is that every the initial rush to get started, people settle down and quietly braid for the remainder of the time. It's relaxing and Sunday morning really is the perfect timeslot for this workshop. I pointed people who were really into it towards the manga library, because I knew they had some mobidai for sale (my workshop is free, so to reduce costs everyone makes their own braiding disc out of cardboard, but a foam disc is obviously a better choice if you want braid more often). Later on, they thanked my 'clone' for sending them to me because they sold out after that after-workshop-rush. We had a good laugh about that, because at this point we just expect this to happen. We do look very similar but our convention schedules are very different, so you rarely see both of us together. It isn't that weird for people who don't know us to think we're the same person.

Somewhere during that day I found time to eat. One of the food court booths had this vegetarian menu set with onigiri, miso soup and edamame. I needed something easy to digest, and that sounded perfect. I found a seat at a practically empty table and yep, the food was perfect. It had this homemade, light but filling feel to it. I must have looked like I really enjoyed eating it, because the guy across from me kept smiling at me without trying to start a conversation.

The remaining time at the booth was filled with fast sales and juicy gossip. One of our members is a staff member of this convention. Actually one of the most powerful people there. She is also extremely sweet and easily stressed out. She came sit with us for 10-15 minutes here and there to hide from dumb stuff, eat and vent. Earlier that weekend she'd bought one of my pineapple keychains as a joke gift for one of her colleagues. It was not appreciated. That's when I learned pineapple was one of their codewords that year and when my friend had tried to get her colleague's attention with a "Hey, I've got a pineapple for you!", said colleague exploded. She had been so on edge and devoid of a sense of humour (it's rumoured it was murdered and buried in woods years ago), that despite the context and presentation of the pineapple, she assumed it was a real emergency for a second and started yelling at my friend. Someone is never ever getting another cute crocheted keychain.

Eventually, Sunday ended and I tetrised myself back into my friends' car. That was yesterday. I'm still tired, so I'm glad I more or less have today and tomorrow off.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20290 on: June 18, 2018, 03:24:11 PM »
So is everyone on Discord these days? I just ask because I didn't login into the forums all weekend and there were only a few topics that had new posts. Seems even more sparse than last year.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20291 on: June 18, 2018, 03:32:54 PM »
Yes, Jimmy, it's basically all Discord now.  A lot of people who used to post here regularly don't even check the forums anymore, much less post in them.  But they're very active on the Discord.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20292 on: June 18, 2018, 04:00:59 PM »

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20293 on: June 19, 2018, 07:50:27 AM »
I'm also old-school because in my old-man brain the community hub should be directly attached to the "thing" the way the forums are.  Plus, I turned my back on social media a couple of years ago (so I'm not on any of the Tweeter, Bookface, or Snapagram type stuff), so it still seems weird that the new community hangout is somewhat indirectly connected to the main site...

But I finally caved and got on the Discord today, because the RPGFan community is the only online community I actually enjoy interacting with.  Granted, I still prefer the more patiently organized nature of the forums over the more chatroom-esque flow of Discord, but that's just the old man in me talking. 

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #20294 on: June 19, 2018, 11:23:40 AM »
Same thing here. I'm not on social media at all. I'm either here or Resetera.
The forums feel 100x more organized and easier to engage. Everytime I look at the Discord I dont know what people are talking about because the conversation started an hour ago and fuck scrolling on Discord.