Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Frostillicus

• View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20295 on: June 19, 2018, 11:32:00 AM »
^ I feel you. I also prefer the better-organized format of the boards. It's the perfect venue for weirdo asocial people like me who like their human communication to be limited, less direct, and somewhat more thought out.
It saddens me a bit the boards are so quiet these days, but I have no interest in Discord. I recognize that live chat formats are a natural evolution for people who like to talk to each other online regularly, but I've never liked chat room stuff (to the relief of some here, I'm sure). It's like being on one of those group phone calls where everyone is talking over each other. Bah!
It is what it is. I'll creep until the boards go quiet (which of course, I hope never happens).
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20296 on: June 19, 2018, 12:30:24 PM »
Same thing here. I'm not on social media at all. I'm either here or Resetera.
The forums feel 100x more organized and easier to engage. Everytime I look at the Discord I dont know what people are talking about because the conversation started an hour ago and fuck scrolling on Discord.

Yeah, I remember checking it out when it was launched and thinking the same thing. I'm glad that people are still posting on the boards though it saddens me this once incredibly active community has waned so much.

I guess what irks me somewhat is the site administration's saying that Discord was not meant to replace the forums, but that's what Nintendo said about the DS replacing the GBA. I'd rather they invested more energy into the forums than add something that basically reads like a more formal yet disorganized version of the old RPGFan IRC. I don't understand why they'd think it was a good idea to split the community.

Naturally if any administrators are reading this, I'm sure you're planning a snarky response. Just know in advance that I don't buy whatever it is you're going to say.

Like Neal, I'll join Discord if that's what it comes to as this has been the only online community I've interacted with in over a decade, but I'd prefer to stick to the forums.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20297 on: June 19, 2018, 12:55:46 PM »
I prefer the forums too.  Much more organized.  I can find specific things that were said 10 years ago with relative ease and that's just not possible with Discord. 

But, if that's the way the wind is blowing, then I really have no other choice.  Where else am I going to shout about pixels with strangers?

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20298 on: June 19, 2018, 01:30:32 PM »
^ I feel you. I also prefer the better-organized format of the boards. It's the perfect venue for weirdo asocial people like me who like their human communication to be limited, less direct, and somewhat more thought out.
It saddens me a bit the boards are so quiet these days, but I have no interest in Discord. I recognize that live chat formats are a natural evolution for people who like to talk to each other online regularly, but I've never liked chat room stuff (to the relief of some here, I'm sure). It's like being on one of those group phone calls where everyone is talking over each other. Bah!
It is what it is. I'll creep until the boards go quiet (which of course, I hope never happens).

I honestly think the biggest reason is that it's just more convenient to use on phones, which I don't care for.  I don't like being constantly connected.  #alsooldandweird
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20299 on: June 19, 2018, 02:08:03 PM »
@Jimmy : Well, I wasn't intending to write a snarky response. I was just going to say if you have ideas to help make the forums more active, lemme know. Even if you don't believe me, I never made the Discord with the intention of replacing the forums. It was actually users here who suggested we make it.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20300 on: June 19, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »
@Arvis  I don't like being constantly connected either.  That's why the only device I go online with is my home computer.  Usually when I'd come home after my post-work workout, I'd do my rounds (checking e-mail, doing RPGFan work, some browsing) then log off for the night.  Eat a peaceful dinner and chillax with a book before bed. My eReader is a basic Kindle with no backlit screen or anything, so it's as if I'm just looking at paper.  No blue light here.  I may be online more since school's out for summer, but I'll be busy with all my side hustles.

The only reason I have a smartphone is because it allows me a virtual keyboard to make it easier to text.  Otherwise, the available dumb-phones are flips and it's difficult texting on something without a QWERTY keyboard.  All I really use my phone for is to call and text people (mostly text.)  Heck, I miss sidekick style phones that had a physical/tactile keyboard, because I make fewer spelling errors texting on one of those than on touchscreens. 

It's kinda funny that I'm moving away from using portable smart devices, yet my mom uses her iPhone for almost everything. 

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20301 on: June 19, 2018, 02:20:05 PM »
It's not splitting the community, it's just growing it.  Discord is better then the forums, it allows more people to join and quicker.  That's the way it is, the reason it seems disorganized to you is because more people are talking there then have in years here.  If there was actually people posting here then you would be saying the same thing about the forums.  And yes many people hate the forums as well because you have to sign up for it and then do the whole email thing, where most gamers already have a discord account and use it for multiple communities.

Discord is new, it's here to stay if you want to be a grandpa and not try something new because "I grew up with this and won't try anything new" then so be it.  I have 1820 posts on this forum, 1800 of them are in the administration side for News, which even we stopped using 2 years ago.  I love talking to the fans of the site but I never posted here.  I post all the time on Discord,  its just way more convenient and fun.

Edit: And no I wasn't making anything up here, we took a survey from the readers this was there response and yes so many people didn't like the forums but suggested something else - http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2017/6769.html

There is a reason we made Discord and the reason we push things like Twitch, where people can communicate with us and together faster.  To grow the site with new readers and viewers,  the forums might benefit from it as well, but that doesn't happen if some community members are stubborn about some things.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 03:02:31 PM by ScottC »

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20302 on: June 19, 2018, 03:03:59 PM »
I think you struck a nerve, Jimmy. You just got sales-pitched, son.

"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #20303 on: June 19, 2018, 03:13:09 PM »
It's not splitting the community, it's just growing it.  Discord is better then the forums, it allows more people to join and quicker.  That's the way it is, the reason it seems disorganized to you is because more people are talking there then have in years here.  If there was actually people posting here then you would be saying the same thing about the forums.  And yes many people hate the forums as well because you have to sign up for it and then do the whole email thing, where most gamers already have a discord account and use it for multiple communities.

Discord is new, it's here to stay if you want to be a grandpa and not try something new because "I grew up with this and won't try anything new" then so be it.  I have 1820 posts on this forum, 1800 of them are in the administration side for News, which even we stopped using 2 years ago.  I love talking to the fans of the site but I never posted here.  I post all the time on Discord,  its just way more convenient and fun.

Edit: And no I wasn't making anything up here, we took a survey from the readers this was there response and yes so many people didn't like the forums but suggested something else - http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2017/6769.html

Called it.

The forums started going downhill in terms of activity a long time ago, I get it. But Discord can't replicate or even emulate the forums' functionality, and I don't understand why there weren't other options to pursue than Discord that would have been more capable of recreating the forums' functionality. What I like about the forums is they encourage sustained conversation, are typically less chatty, and allow division into topics so that multiple conversations can be sustained at the same time on various topics, like Single-Player RPGs for example. If I want to talk Fire Emblem on Discord, I'd have to jump into an already active conversation about another game (or something else entirely) rather than have the ability to start a new topic, or join one already in place. Sure, you can jump in and try to change the thread of the conversation on Discord (and possibly have little success in doing so), but I'd much rather have the option to jump from one topic to the next as in the forums. Per the news story you linked (which I did read back in October btw): "That said, it's officially an item on our roadmap to try and integrate the forums better, since even something as simple as a "popular on the forums" widget will bring more attention to the community." What happened to that? And it's clear by the other posts here that there's more than a few "grandpas" who don't like Discord, and prefer the forums, so I can't see why you'd call it anything but splitting the community, especially when a number of longtime, respected members of the RPGFan community, like Neal, say they prefer the forums.

Thank you @Starmongoose for at least responding respectfully. I wonder if there is a more contemporary alternative to the old phpBB that could be implemented that still keeps some of the forums' functionality, but is more friendly for 2018 users?

EDIT: And to respond to your modified post, I said I would use Discord if push comes to shove, I just dislike that the forums seem to have been abandoned. Is that so wrong?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 03:37:28 PM by Jimmy »

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20304 on: June 19, 2018, 03:37:12 PM »
"Called it" 

I responded that way because you wanted me too.  If you don't want snarky responses don't ask for them.  Just giving what you wanted because you know it's true.  You can sit on a rotting forum all you want it won't change anything.  There are more members active on Discord on a single day then there are here for 6 months.  Suck it up and move on.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #20305 on: June 19, 2018, 03:39:31 PM »
"Called it" 

I responded that way because you wanted me too.  If you don't want snarky responses don't ask for them.  Just giving what you wanted because you know it's true.  You can sit on a rotting forum all you want it won't change anything.  There are more members active on Discord on a single day then there are here for 6 months.  Suck it up and move on.

I really didn't want it, but I've been around this community long enough to know that it was coming. And just because there are more users active on Discord doesn't make it "better."

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20306 on: June 19, 2018, 03:41:30 PM »
You can be stubborn,  that's totally on you and no one else.

Jimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #20307 on: June 19, 2018, 03:44:51 PM »
Just like you can be rude. That's on you and no one else. You have "RPGFan Editor" next to your name, and this is how you respond when a community member comes on with a complaint? I think you need to take a lesson from Starmongoose in the way you should respond. You're the one representing the website here.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20308 on: June 19, 2018, 03:49:18 PM »
This is just Scott's way, Jimmy.  Don't take it personally.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20309 on: June 19, 2018, 03:52:02 PM »
You were very rude first.  Did you take the time to think how your initial post even affected those who went out of there way like Star and myself to help try and help fix the problem?  No, you just complained about it and made it seem like we were trying to destroy what you hold dear.