Author Topic: Whats the haps?

SonicDeathMonkey

• View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20325 on: June 24, 2018, 11:46:26 PM »
oh, interesting. i stopped checking this forum a while ago and then came back a month or two ago and was kinda sad about how these forums seem so dead, and it seemed weird to me since the site itself seems to be doing well what with the regular content and podcasts and whatnot. i guess everyone went to discord. i've been meaning to install that anyway since i've had a few people suggest i join (mostly people i've played cs:go with). i guess i'll get on there at some point..

i'll always miss this style of forum but i think it's safe to say it's becoming more and more irrelevant with time :(

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20326 on: June 26, 2018, 04:59:21 PM »
They've made some changes to the Discord to help those of us that weren't feeling it. Perhaps give it a shot now and see what you think? I'm liking it a lot more now, personally.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20327 on: June 28, 2018, 09:00:17 PM »
One of these is the wire pair I'm looking for.  One of these is for the downstairs phone.  One of these turns on the furnace.  One will make the doorbell transformer explode.
All four pair have the same colour and gauge.

Heh.

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • I have nothing funny to say
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20328 on: June 29, 2018, 12:05:21 PM »
For the past 3 weeks, I haven't been drinking coffee.  I seem to be feeling better as a result of being totally caffeine free.  A couple of days ago, something in my brain wanted a cup, but after having one (good coffee too, from Bangalore), it just didn't taste pleasurable to me.  That's when I know I'm done.  Kinda like when I was weaning myself off beer years ago.  I was off for a month, something in my brain wanted a beer and a top-quality IPA from one of my favorite microbreweries did not taste good to me.  That punctuated it for me and I was like, "Yep, I'm done."  I prefer tea these days, but it's not something I need to drink daily. 
Sometimes I wonder if there was ever a time a last-place Olympic diver decided before their final dive, "I'm in last place, I have nothing to lose, I might as well have some fun with this" then yell "CANNONBALL!" from the diving board before launching into a cannonball.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20329 on: June 30, 2018, 02:59:24 AM »
I need the forum, to post my quarterly anime season post that I'm not really sure if anyone actually reads =P
Hey, I read it.  ....you read mine, right?  Don't answer that.

I honestly rely on the lists you guys make (along with Kevuda and whoever else replies), because I can't keep up with how many anime series there are anymore.

...actually, that's why I still prefer forums. I'm too slow. I could never hope to keep up with the conversation on a chat interface. I'm not being dismissive, either, I had been on a forum for 3 years that saw an increasing reliance on its chatbox, and it became an increasingly miserable experience that I struggled to find an alternative for until finally I just let go and went to a different forum...which was here...I'd hate to think that'll happen twice in a row, but I guess it is what it is. The world has always been too fast for me...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20330 on: June 30, 2018, 03:47:35 AM »
One of these is the wire pair I'm looking for.  One of these is for the downstairs phone.  One of these turns on the furnace.  One will make the doorbell transformer explode.
All four pair have the same colour and gauge.

Heh.
Get a line tracer and some white tape, then remember that someday, someone else will have to trace those same wires and try to make your taped marks readable.

TASTY!

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20331 on: July 02, 2018, 08:30:13 AM »
Get a line tracer and some white tape, then remember that someday, someone else will have to trace those same wires and try to make your taped marks readable.
Forget "someone else", I need to tag everything so that an older, slightly stupider version of myself can figure it out.

Haps:

While I was out gardening, someone left a bag hanging on the front doorknob containing a small plastic bottle, and a form for a free water test.  From the small print, the test was being conducted by a private company selling water purification equipment, and not affiliated with the city.  I was supposed to put the bag back on the knob for them to pick up (leaving the "kit" unused if I didn't want to participate).

In a rural area it might be different, but this is the middle of a metropolitan area, with excellent (and extensively monitored) water quality.  There just isn't any honest justification for this type of push marketing.

So, I filled the bottle halfway with brine from Bick's Hot Mix, filled it the rest of the way with 5% acetic acid, and then added a spoonful of sugar, some salt, and a pinch of skim milk powder (for texture).  Pickle juice was my first choice, but the greenish tint was too obvious.

They wanted water from the kitchen sink tap, so I carefully labelled the bottle with "SINK WATER", using a black marker, so that there could be no mix-up, and also so that they could admire my lettering skills.

On the form, I put a local address, using the number of a house that doesn't exist due to an accident of geometry, and the phone number of a nice gentleman who will tell you the time at the tone.  I tried to fill out the rest of the form in a manner consistent with someone who has spicy pickle brine on tap.

I dearly hope that this isn't a full-blown scam, and that they actually test the sample, and that confusion ensues.  But if nothing else, my labelling might prevent them from reusing the bottle on some poor sucker.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20332 on: July 02, 2018, 09:40:43 AM »
Forget "someone else", I need to tag everything so that an older, slightly stupider version of myself can figure it out.

Haps:

While I was out gardening, someone left a bag hanging on the front doorknob containing a small plastic bottle, and a form for a free water test.  From the small print, the test was being conducted by a private company selling water purification equipment, and not affiliated with the city.  I was supposed to put the bag back on the knob for them to pick up (leaving the "kit" unused if I didn't want to participate).

In a rural area it might be different, but this is the middle of a metropolitan area, with excellent (and extensively monitored) water quality.  There just isn't any honest justification for this type of push marketing.

So, I filled the bottle halfway with brine from Bick's Hot Mix, filled it the rest of the way with 5% acetic acid, and then added a spoonful of sugar, some salt, and a pinch of skim milk powder (for texture).  Pickle juice was my first choice, but the greenish tint was too obvious.

They wanted water from the kitchen sink tap, so I carefully labelled the bottle with "SINK WATER", using a black marker, so that there could be no mix-up, and also so that they could admire my lettering skills.

On the form, I put a local address, using the number of a house that doesn't exist due to an accident of geometry, and the phone number of a nice gentleman who will tell you the time at the tone.  I tried to fill out the rest of the form in a manner consistent with someone who has spicy pickle brine on tap.

I dearly hope that this isn't a full-blown scam, and that they actually test the sample, and that confusion ensues.  But if nothing else, my labelling might prevent them from reusing the bottle on some poor sucker.

whatever you're doing here, you're doing it right

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20333 on: July 02, 2018, 09:52:35 AM »
@ironmage That is gold!  I'm 100% subscribed to this endeavor to see how it all turns out.
Sometimes I wonder if there was ever a time a last-place Olympic diver decided before their final dive, "I'm in last place, I have nothing to lose, I might as well have some fun with this" then yell "CANNONBALL!" from the diving board before launching into a cannonball.

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #20334 on: July 02, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »
Bought a new computer this Canada day weekend. Hoping to buy some Steam games before the summer sale wraps up.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20335 on: July 02, 2018, 05:55:34 PM »
For the first time in a long time, I feel like I'm getting stronger, more fit, all of that after years of setbacks.  Today I benched 2 sets of 5 at 150lbs, 2 sets of 5 at 160lbs, and 1 set of 5 at 170lbs.  I know that's not very impressive, but considering that earlier this year I could barely do one set of 5 at 155 I'm happy. 

I know I've been chronicling my "fit 'n healthy" journeys for a while, but 2012- 2015 were not great years for me.  After getting myself to a really awesome place, my old punk band broke up in 2012 and I ended up in another band that, while better, were a hard-drinking, hard partying band in which I fell back into some of my old bad habits that were my undoing from 2012- 2015.  I quit that band for the sake of my mental and physical health because I was running myself ragged with the relentless gigging schedule AND the hard partying.  But just as I was starting to get my life back in check, I developed a repetitive use injury that curbed my cycling summer 2015 and then my dad died in the fall of 2015.  The depression from all that hit me harder than I thought and it created another setback to my health (gained back a bunch of the weight I had worked so hard to lose) making it harder to get back to my old "fightin' self."  But this year, I've blasted through a bunch of obstacles, my life is in a positive new direction.  I'm mentally putting more into my workouts and my cycling than just going through the motions, I'm in a wonderful new musical project that  operates on my speed and leaves me feeling uplifted, my other dream regarding voiceover work is taking shape...

I may not get back to that 165lb "perfect weight" (hey, I am 40 after all and there is no stopping the aging process), but I am determined to get stronger/fitter and hopefully get myself down from 190lbs to 175lbs, and back into "L" shirts rather than "XL."
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 06:02:04 PM by Dincrest »

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #20336 on: July 09, 2018, 07:09:37 PM »
So, again, just going to toss this to the wind because it's eating me inside. No need to reply or anything.

My mother died some days ago and I've been contacted by only 5 people.
- My dad (divorced)
- My aunt (mom's sister)
- 3 coworkers

Yes, you read that right. There's more people at my workplace that care than the rest of my family.
Now, I'm doing the work for the funeral arrangements solo because there ain't any support anywhere. Nobody gives enough of a ****. Seems they're fine with just coming to the place, saying "mes sympathies" and leaving.
Can't count on my brother to help there either because of the longstanding feud between him and my mother.
Like, at this point, I'm less sad than feeling a huge void from my trash family.

I mean, I know my family is garbage, but this really shows how disjointed it is. I'm happy we're dwindling and soon enough there ain't going to be anything left of us because we obviously failed at making a decent lineage.
There's another dreadful thought that I'm having more and more too now after spending the last year caring for my mother: with no family left eventually, it means that when I'm old and dying, I'll by completely alone. That's a depressing thought.

Also, just so I don't sound like a saint with that last part... I didn't really love my mother. She was a terrible mother and my childhood was a disaster. As a person, she was horrible too but would manipulate everything so that she'd always look good. It's why I can understand my brother walking away from it all. I nearly did the same.
So, why I did everything for her? I just did my family dues because none of these ****ers ever did. So, it's more of a revenge.

So yeah, a couple of things to deal with over here...

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20337 on: July 10, 2018, 02:40:18 AM »
My condolences Annubis. I know it means little, but it's the best I can offer.

TASTY!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20338 on: July 10, 2018, 02:56:43 PM »
Hang in there, Annubis. Whatever your motivation, you are doing the decent thing to do and that says a lot of good things about you as a person.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20339 on: July 10, 2018, 10:10:26 PM »
gutted for you, my friend. condolences.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"