Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20340 on: July 13, 2018, 10:06:05 AM »
Sorry, Annubis. :(
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20341 on: July 13, 2018, 07:05:02 PM »
So sorry for your loss, Annubis. My mother passed in 2012, and it was incredibly hard. I’m sorry you’re not getting any support from your family; I can’t imagine how it would have been without support from my own family. If you need to talk to someone, just let me know.

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20342 on: July 13, 2018, 09:48:44 PM »
Losing a parent sucks.

Having a family who's apathetic, just wants to wipe their hands clean of everything, only comes together when it comes time to fight over the  estate/inheritance, and leaves the one decent person holding the bag sucks. 

All of the above?  Words can't describe the level of suck. 

Please tell me your mom left a will.  I don't envy anyone who has to step up and be the executor, especially if the deceased neglected to leave a will.  Because no will= shit show to the extreme.  Seriously, it's the legal shit following the death of a loved one that I think is more difficult to deal with than the emotional trauma. 
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #20343 on: July 14, 2018, 12:35:34 AM »
Please tell me your mom left a will.  I don't envy anyone who has to step up and be the executor, especially if the deceased neglected to leave a will.  Because no will= shit show to the extreme.  Seriously, it's the legal shit following the death of a loved one that I think is more difficult to deal with than the emotional trauma.
There is one and as far as I know, it's 50/50 between me and my brother.
The question that remains is if he'll take his share or actually turn it down because he hated my mom that much.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20344 on: July 14, 2018, 07:43:08 AM »
My mom used to be a probate/estates & trusts paralegal, so she's seen her fair share of this stuff.  One thing she observed is that no matter how much the children may have hated their deceased parent, they all had no qualms about cashing in and things often got disgusting.  And if I'm not mistaken, your brother simply "turning it down" may not really be an option.  Parent says it in the will, it's the named party's responsibility now.  And if he does turn it down, I imagine it'll be an absolute nightmare to try and pass the buck.  You can't just instantly name another executor, be it another family member or a third party like a bank.  No one wants that responsibility.  Still, definitely consult a probate attorney on that stuff if you can.  It won't be cheap, but not having to deal with the legal headaches is worth the price, especially if/when you're grieving.  When my dad passed away, I couldn't think straight for months. 
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #20345 on: July 14, 2018, 07:48:53 PM »
Played paintball for the first time as part of a friend's birthday. It was a lot of fun.

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #20346 on: July 15, 2018, 02:09:22 PM »
Work is bumming me out.
My car finally craped out so I got a newer used car. Thats bill every month that will make sure I stay at my crappy job for 3 years.
I always come home so tired I dont want to draw or play games.
Rash on my lower back!

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20347 on: July 15, 2018, 04:42:23 PM »
Work is bumming me out.
My car finally craped out so I got a newer used car. Thats bill every month that will make sure I stay at my crappy job for 3 years.
I always come home so tired I dont want to draw or play games.
Rash on my lower back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-34Fdtg1dI (It's an NSFW Adam Sandler song about a lemon.) 

Hope your new ride is reliable. 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #20348 on: July 15, 2018, 06:04:06 PM »
yeah its got the 100,000 mile warranty. 2015 with low mileage and no accidents. Its basically brand new.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20349 on: July 25, 2018, 10:58:09 AM »
I went to the swimming pool as a back-up babysitter. The swimming pool haps:

1. People still look at me and see a teenager. (I turn 32 in two months.) Honestly, if the person behind the counter had asked, I would have told her I'm an adult. But she didn't, so she'll just have to pay the price for assuming.

2. I obtained a new nickname: Rah-Rah. It would have been cuter if it had come from the 2.5-year-old instead of the 7-year-old who really should make more of an effort to pronounce words and names properly, but eh, I'll take it. (The toddler calls me Ta-ah, which will probably be upgraded to Tama soon.)

3. I kinda regret treating them to ice-cream. The oldest one tried to be sneaky and buy some candy as well, but that was obviously not going to happen. I guess I can't really blame him for acting like that, though. His parents tend to bounce between over-indulging and 'whoops, we forgot to buy dinner', so he was trying to make most of an opportunity. Meanwhile, the youngest one quickly lost interest in hers once the chocolate was gone, and went back to nibbling on the cucumber slices I brought. Next time, the older ones are just going to get 50 cents to buy some candy and the littlest ones can just eat the snacks we packed.

4. Man, kids these days are too easily distracted/bored. Okay, maybe it's more of a difference between familes rather than generations, but still, back when I was a kid we used to spend the whole day at this pool. We practically lived there during the summer months. And then there's these kids, who got all whiny after less than two hours because they wanted to go back to their tablets, computers and gaming systems. I guess I would understand if this was a lame pool and the weather was bad, but we're in the middle of a heatwave and despite looking a little plain, this outdoor pool is actually rather nice. There are three pools (kiddy, play and competitive), they just got this cool new slide, their diving boards are some of the highest in the area (cannonball!), and on top of that there's also a playground, a beach volley ball field, table tennis... Not to mention I made lunch, snacks and iced green tea. You know what the 7-year-olds reaction to the tea was? "This is water." Well, sorry not sorry I didn't fill it up with sugar. See, I complain about kids these days! I'm totally an adult!

6. I'm so glad my new swimsuit is holding up. This my first casual one in ages. I'd gotten so used to swimsuits designed for sports, anything less just seemed... risky. But you know, just because I still fit in the Speedo swimsuit I bought as a 14-year-old probably doesn't mean I should just keep wearing it. Buying a new sports swimsuit wasn't an option though, because my current level of activity at the pool (long, mostly leisurely swims) doesn't justify buying something in that price range. Luckily, I found a nice Tweka that was over 90% off, so I now I've got a reliable casual one to wear for years to come. Whiny kids or not, swimming is still awesome.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20350 on: July 25, 2018, 12:34:59 PM »
4. Man, kids these days are too easily distracted/bored. Okay, maybe it's more of a difference between familes rather than generations, but still, back when I was a kid we used to spend the whole day at this pool. We practically lived there during the summer months. And then there's these kids, who got all whiny after less than two hours because they wanted to go back to their tablets, computers and gaming systems. I guess I would understand if this was a lame pool and the weather was bad, but we're in the middle of a heatwave and despite looking a little plain, this outdoor pool is actually rather nice. There are three pools (kiddy, play and competitive), they just got this cool new slide, their diving boards are some of the highest in the area (cannonball!), and on top of that there's also a playground, a beach volley ball field, table tennis...

I feel you. When I went to the neighborhood pool with my friends as a kid, we'd stay at least half of the day. Usually longer. I'd often be so waterlogged when leaving, I'd go home and eat a pack of Saltines to (seemingly) balance things out.

I try to take my son to playgrounds and parks regularly, and I'm honestly surprised at how empty they are these days. Even in the middle of summer (like now). If other kids are there, or show up after us, they don't stay long at all. Are that many kids glued to their screens nowadays? Or is there some kind of secret kid society (The Young Skulls)?
Sometimes I laugh to myself, because empty playgrounds would be shown in older shows and movies to indicate a grave issue with people/society.

BTW, was number 5 too edgy for RPGFan?
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20351 on: July 25, 2018, 01:02:39 PM »
BTW, was number 5 too edgy for RPGFan?

A typo. I blame the heatwave.

I try to take my son to playgrounds and parks regularly, and I'm honestly surprised at how empty they are these days. Even in the middle of summer (like now). If other kids are there, or show up after us, they don't stay long at all. Are that many kids glued to their screens nowadays? Or is there some kind of secret kid society (The Young Skulls)?
Sometimes I laugh to myself, because empty playgrounds would be shown in older shows and movies to indicate a grave issue with people/society.

It's a small miracle our local pool is still around. They were planning on closing it down a few years back, because it wasn't bringing in the money to stay afloat. They're managing now thanks to a small army of volunteers, but it's simply not as busy as it used to. On the upside, 20 years ago, days like this meant the pool would be crowded to the point of it being awful. The people who do come have a lot more space now.

Another thing I noticed is that the kids that were with us just weren't good swimmers. By the time I was 9, I had a nice stack of certificates, but nowadays kids only get one or two and they seem to take longer to do so. The 7-year-old had difficulty swimming 25 meters! That's... a little scary, considering how much water we have around these parts.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #20352 on: July 27, 2018, 09:55:01 AM »
^ My son is 6, and he's not a very good swimmer, either. I recognize that's on me, though. Never took him for lessons when I probably should have. Oh well, I've been teaching him recently.

Haps:
Before Trump took office, I avoided reading the news, because it’s mostly depressing sensationalism. However, I got sucked back in due to his tendency to be a tactless, moronic blowhard. It’s entertaining. Or.. it was. 
I recently realized that I’ve become increasingly cynical, and bitter towards people in general. To an unhealthy degree, really… After a bit of reflection, I figured maybe it was from reading about all of the horrible things some people do to each other on a regular basis.
Thank the gods, I was right. I stopped reading the news entirely a week or so ago, and I already feel much more balanced, mentally. It was honestly difficult to avoid it at first, almost like I was addicted to it. How fucked up is that?
It’s amazing how much negative information can affect your psyche… Makes perfect sense, though. Reading that shit regularly makes the world seem like a terrible place. Which we all know it can be.., but generally, it is neutral, if not benign.

Also, I recently made almost $200 selling a graphics card on eBay. The following week, my wife gets a $180 ticket for talking on her phone while driving. I used the $20 difference to help pay for a Bluetooth radio for her car, for obvious reasons.
Dammit, woman… I had plans for that money.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20353 on: July 27, 2018, 10:07:03 AM »
There are days when I wonder how much of news is fear mongering and how much is, you know, actual news?  Because after all, people who are afraid are much easier to influence because the powers-that-be can play on those fears.  And it's embarrassing that foreign outlets like BBC often report on relevant American news better than America does.  Something's wrong with this picture. 

Still, your reasons for disconnecting echo a lot of why I disconnected myself from social media about 2 years ago and I am much happier for it.  I'll find better ways to stay informed.

As for haps, on Monday me, my cousin, and another cousin's husband took the "two nephews and their friend" to Franklin Institute for the Game Masters exhibit.  The kids had so much fun.  The museum was set up like an arcade with so many old school and more modern games to play.  All of us adults were nostalgia-fanboying over Parappa the Rapper.  My favorites of the day were this shooter called Child of Eden, this VR game called Smash Hit, and this arcade machine near the exit with 7 indie games on it, one of them being Indivisible 8-bit.  Indivisible 8-bit reminded me of Strider for NES, in terms of how it played.

In that exhibit, Nintendo and Atari were the most conspicuous because of their absence.  Perhaps the curators and whomever set up the exhibit weren't able to get licensing permissions from Nintendo and Atari.  But it's hard to imagine an exhibit about game design and not have Nintendo and Atari.

I also enjoyed being able to play a few games I'd wanted to try but never got to, like Psychonauts and ShenMue.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 10:24:04 AM by Dincrest »
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20354 on: July 27, 2018, 10:12:51 AM »
@Frostillicus Same thing happened to me last week, dude. Though, in my case, it also filled me with intense terror and dread, to an unhealthy degree. Switched to just reading science-related news, which is much more exciting, anyways.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 10:32:58 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes