Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20370 on: August 02, 2018, 04:22:25 PM »
You know how the phrase "Because f*** you, that's why!" is a thing?  Well, I'm going to create my own "Neal-ism" version of that: "Because Goblin Shark, that's why!"

https://gph.is/2gELsqN

https://gph.is/18VnLKp

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20371 on: August 03, 2018, 04:24:15 PM »
Went to a hairdresser for the first time in 6-7 years (I lost count) to turn my bangs back into bangs again. I'm usually not a fan and my last appointment was a disaster. The cut itself came out okay enough, but the service was terrible. For some reason the stylist was trying to juggle three customers at once, and I ended up sitting in that chair for atleast twice as long as the cut actually took.

This time, I went to a different salon during walk-in hours, no appointment needed. My uoungest cousin went there a while back for a crazy dyejob, and that came out really well, so I figured I might as well give it a shot. The place was practically deserted because of the heatwave, so I got a chair seconds after I walked in. The stylist was totally fine with cutting just my bangs, which is rare from my experience. (A full cut is more expensive, so many stylists push for that even if trimming the ends isn't needed. Not to mention the ones that care more about their own sensibilities than their customers' preferences.) I also got a new type of compliment! Normally people will just think the length of my hair is impressive, and I get the occassional 'pretty', but this is the first time I heard: "Wow, this is fun!" Finally, someone gets it! 80+ centimeters of hair to braid and stuff is fun!

Anyway, now my hair looks cute again when I put it in a high ponytail or bun. I really should have done this ages ago. To think the only reason I went now is because of a Fire Emblem-related joke/dare...

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20372 on: August 03, 2018, 04:42:34 PM »
To think the only reason I went now is because of a Fire Emblem-related joke/dare...

You're really just gonna leave it there, huh?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20373 on: August 03, 2018, 05:07:26 PM »
Fine. It's Takumi related. I mentioned to an online friend I was going to do host a JRPG quiz at an animeconvention and I was going to do my final boss spiel as usual. She half-jokingly suggested cosplaying for the occassion. That's too much effort, though, and way too inconvenient and expensive, but I can put some references in my outfit and hairstyle, so... yeah. I overcame a nearly decade long dislike of hairdressers to make a referential joke happen.

Edit: oh, and sorry, no pineapple effect. The 'short' part of my long hair has gotten to long for that.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20374 on: August 05, 2018, 10:40:27 PM »
My favorite graphic novel book club member is moving out of state...

on the one hand, good on him for leaving Indiana at the first available opportunity

but on the other, what the hell am I supposed to do without my GNBC sidekick??

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20375 on: August 10, 2018, 07:13:33 PM »
For the last month or so since moving it to another room, my computer was having issues.  I decided that I would get a new one and build it myself.  Well, this past weekend (for me Wednesday and Thursday are my weekend), I put it together.  I have to say I am pleased with my handiwork.  There's still some issues to iron out, but it's up and running.  I'm not going to lie.  I felt a sense of accomplishment in putting it together successfully.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20376 on: August 12, 2018, 01:41:19 PM »
Flux pipe in my car just snapped.  Yes it's a real thing, google it.

So now my little VW rabbit sounds like a monster truck (and some of the exhaust is now being released directly into the cab...).  Luckily it's an easy fix UNLESS the flux pipe is also connected to my catalytic converter.  In which case a $50 part because a $400 part.

I've put half as much into this car as I paid for it off the lot... (And I'm finally done paying for it in November).

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20377 on: August 12, 2018, 08:09:04 PM »
I wired the garage door into the doorbell, so now if I forget to close the garage, the doorbell rings.  The signal is three consecutive rings, and it triggers once 90 seconds after the door is opened, and then every fifteen minutes after that.  The project dragged out much longer than I expected, entirely because a certain Chinese ebayer apparently interpreted "expedited shipping" as meaning "via rowboat" (currently three weeks late and counting).  I ended up ordering the same transceivers from a company halfway across the province, and got them a week later.

For my next trick, I think I'm going to see if I can get the microcontroller to send me text messages, as well as ringing the doorbell.  Being able to open/close the garage door via internet (in case I forget to close it after leaving the house) might also be interesting, but would be difficult to secure properly, and I'm running low on I/O pins.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20378 on: August 19, 2018, 08:11:23 PM »
When a cousin of mine was visiting recently, he regaled me with many funny stories about an elder uncle he knew better than I do who is a brilliant guy (doctor and all) but notorious for his malapropisms that would put Dubya to shame.  One story that the entire family gets a kick out of was when this uncle first came to the US as a young man.  He was attempting to flirt with a lady and said that she looked like a parrot. 

A little context.  See, in India back then (and I think even now), the aquiline nose (sometimes colloquially referred to as a "Roman nose" or somewhat derogatorily "hawk nose") was a most desirable beauty feature.  However, that's not the case in the US at all.  So uncle's attempt to flatter a desirable American woman on her aquiline nose and colorful outfit in a very flowery manner totally backfired and was 100% lost in translation when he told her she looked like a parrot.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 05:55:25 AM by Dincrest »
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20379 on: August 21, 2018, 01:08:22 PM »
@Arvis What is that tennis site you run? I want to see if my wild guesses do any better than people who really get into the US Open.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20380 on: August 21, 2018, 01:33:21 PM »
tennisdrawchallenge.com

The US Open draw will be out Thursday or Friday and we do both Men's and Women's.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20381 on: August 27, 2018, 05:41:57 PM »
Haps: After weeks of grumpy frustration, I'm so glad the tendinitis in my right elbow is healing up, so I can rebuild to lifting heavier again.  I brought it upon myself overdoing heavy curls, so I have no one to grumble at but myself. 

And you know how old-school muscle gyms where bodybuilders and powerlifters train have those "hashtag fitness goals" posters of Arnold Schwarzenegger on the walls?  I would put a poster of Sam Mikulak on the wall as a "hashtag fitness goals" thing.  https://static.gofugyourself.com/uploads/2016/08/GettyImages-586840400-614x900.jpg  Seriously, what dude wouldn't want to be swole like that?  It's crazy how buff male gymnasts are.  They look like comic book superheroes.     
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20382 on: August 27, 2018, 05:42:21 PM »
Another convention weekend went by. For the first time in years, I only had a few events and a lot of spare time. As it turns out, free time is exhausting if you can't find anything you want to do (the events were very weeb and cosplay oriented) and just wander the endless hallways in hopes of finding someone to hang out with.

The events I hosted were fun (for me) though.

First there was the writing relay race, which is basically a thing were we make a small team of people write a short story in a very short amount of time (5 minutes per person, 20 minutes total). The results are often hilarious, because people are bouncing of eachother's twists and turns. A writer friend and I were the judges, but we wrote a short story as well in the allotted amount of time. Ours turned out rather... dark. To summarise, girls ends up hosting a dinner party for her necromancing roommate and his eco-friendly death cult friends. He only gave her a recipe, and the summoning of the otherworldly ingredients went terribly wrong. Girls ends up serving herself. Well, herself from another dimension that happened to end up in the freezer as the result of one of her roommate's many failed experiments. Talk about a self-roast.

The second event was a lecture about Japanse RPGs. Despite being in the (relatively) early morning, it did end up being a full house. So, that's good. Not so good were technical difficulties. My HMDI to mini-HDMI cable died, meaning I couldn't project my presentation. The convention wasn't very helpful:
1. Yes, there was a AVG cable, but my tablet/laptop only has a mini-HDMI port. And yes, I can do AVG to HDMI, I do have a cable for that, but again, I still need a way to plug it into my tablet!
2. No, loading it onto my phone is not going to help. It can't run a presentation and even if it could, my phone definitely does not have a HDMI-port!
They didn't HDMI-to-mini-HDMI cable themselves, nor was there some random spare laptop available. In the end I just held my talk without the support of visuals, which sucks, but it's better than canceling the event. Not just for me, but also for the ill-prepared convention that already had a long list of cancelled events. (In hindsight, I should have run to the manga library myself and borrowed something from them.)

Right after that one, I visited the staff room to reserve a reserve laptop for my final event, the JRPG Quiz. I didn't really check where it was going to be held until the hour before, and was surprised they put me in the large lecture room that can fit like 100+ people. A good thing, too, because the crowd was pretty big. Oh, and they did bring me a laptop! It had 7% battery life left and no power supply, so I had to make an emergency call to get that sorted out, but I was able to start the quiz in time. Fortunately, most people understood the rock-paper-scissors part of the game right away. The only exception was this one kid in his mid- to late teens who was there with his mother. He, uh, he was clearly on the spectrum, so kudos to his mom for chaperoning and helping him enjoy the convention. First, he was a little upset/panicked, because he for some reason assumed he'd need a smartphone for this. I assured him that he wouldn't need any tech and his mother repeated this reassurance a few times as well. He didn't get the rock-paper-sciccors parts very well. Basically, the quiz consists of true/false questions. The room is split in two and people move to the side they think is right. I play rock-paper-scissors with the people who got it right. The condition to advance is that you need to beat me. So, if I have rock, only the people with paper get to keep competiting for that round's price. This continues until one is left standing. I make an exception when there is no one who beats me, in which case the people who have the same as me get to keep competing. I do this to keep the game going and ensure there is a winner each round. Anyway, after I made this exception, the kid assumed same=continue every round, despite me always clearing stating who should sit down and who got to continue ("If you got paper, you continue. Everyone else, sit down!" "Everyone but scissors, please sit down!").

In order to keep the game flowing, I asked me to come chat with me after the quiz if they had questions, where looking for recommendations and so on. Most of it was fun, but the autistic kid really threw me a curve ball. He walked up to me and asked if I had played Mystic Ark. I told him I had heard of it, but that I had never played it. He then semi-angerily told me it's a wellknown masterpiece and that music is the best he has ever heard. Then he walked away. It sounded very rehearsed and I'm sure the harsh tone wasn't intentional, but man, that was hard to respond to. I get it though, quiz events like this, with lots of audience participation, aren't exactly autism friendly and it was probably draining for him to be there. I hope he had fun despite me not being very familiar with his favourite.

Anyway, I do love doing these quizes, and it feels like I'm getting better and better than putting on a show (both in Dutch and English). This convention was (tabletop) RPG themed, so I really got to make most of my final boss routine. I even dressed up for it a little (basically, the most casual of casual Takumi cosplays, making most of my own long hair), which got a giggle out of some people.

Speaking of dressing up, guess what got the most reactions from random convention-goers?
a) my brand new yukata
b) my final boss hairdo
c) a T-shirt with a cactus on it with the words 'Can not touch this. Don't go hugging everyone you meet.'

If you guessed c, you are correct. The hair came in second.

Back to the quiz: the convention staff mentioned that if the quiz drew in lots of visitors, I might get an ever larger room next year, maybe even one with a stage. Kinda scary, but it would be good advertisement for the magazine, so hey, if they offer a bigger room, I'm not going to turn it down. (Though I will request gopher assistance to keep and eye on the crowd and hopefully prevent people from cheating.)

What else did I do that weekend... Oh yeah, the schuttersgilde I'm a part of has a house liquor and I smuggled in a bottle to share with friends. It was surprisingly popular. And more suprisingly, we got to drink the entire thing in peace in the hotel lobby. The hotel doesn't mind bringing people bringing and drinking their own booze as long as you don't bother anyone, but the convention doesn't take to kindly to people doing this because their visitors are like 85% young people who don't know their limits. But hey, by the time they noticed it was already empty and I was like "It's just an empty bottle, something from home I wanted to show to my friends", which was definitely atleast partly true. It was a cool earthen bottle. The guy gave me a look, because, well, there were multiple empty plastic shot glasses on the table. Funnily enough, it didn't seem like he noticed the freakin' bottle of mead that was also on the table. Also, he should have just appreciated how thematically appropriate we were being. If your theme is 'Tales of Kitsunia', a random archer in their thirties, who belongs to a guild, may or may not have a bird-related pseudonym, and who is enjoying a drink, should be considered part of the decorations.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20383 on: August 28, 2018, 05:04:24 PM »
@Arvis What is that tennis site you run? I want to see if my wild guesses do any better than people who really get into the US Open.

@Rucks - Where you at, my man?

@Tomara - Man, you've got quite an active life, my friend.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20384 on: August 29, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »
@Arvis I BLEW IT! now I have to wait until January...