Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #20385 on: August 29, 2018, 01:56:42 PM »
You could always do some of the smaller tournaments as practice.  Still some pretty big ones coming up.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20386 on: August 29, 2018, 06:14:31 PM »
Teacher in-service day today.  I'll miss the free time I had during the summer, but the children need to be taught and summer break's left my bank account a tad lean.  (hashtag teacherproblems).  Still, I'm happy that I'm paired back up with the student I was a 1:1 with last year and my salary's been boosted a little bit.  Good, because I need to save my pennies for house improvements.  I love being a homeowner (I bought my first house back in January so I've been pretty skint much of the year), but the house is an ongoing project. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20387 on: September 07, 2018, 12:57:14 PM »

@Tomara - Man, you've got quite an active life, my friend.

Not really. It's just that most of it is crammed into several weekends a year. My (social) life outside of conventions is very low key. I have a few things I'm passionate about and my life pretty much revolves around those. Which is a pretty good life, I'll admit.

That said, I feel nowhere near the adult I should be by now. Most people my age have several children by now, for instance. I don't even want children of my own (I'm quite happy being the cool aunt/older cousin), but at the same time I do feel the pressure society puts on women my age. Yet at the same time, society doesn't really acknowledge my actual age because I look and so much younger than I am. Strangers treat my like a teenager all the time. They ask me if I've had a nice summer vacation, what year I'm in, and so on. I went to buy some Limoncello because I wanted to bake a cake for my birthday, but I got carded. Again. I turn 32 in a few weeks. Worse, it has gotten to the point even relatives have started doing it. I got demoted to being my little sister's little sister.

People rarely take me seriously. For instance, my brother-in-law runs an outdoor events/games business and recently bought a bunch of bows for archery tag. I offered to help set them up, and they told me to read the manual. Meanwhile, they're trying to figure out out how to hold the riser and failing despite it having a very obvious grip. One of the manly men then proceeds to put the limbs on inside out and upside down. I fix that. Then I start putting on the arrow rests, and they're like "How do you know they go there?"

I know, because these things are basically fancy-looking toy takedown recurve bows and I own a recurve bow that's worth 20 of those. It has all the same basic parts, but my gear is high quality. I shoot 200+ arrows in an evening. I help run events for amateurs and have some experience instructing beginners. So hey, maybe I actually know what I'm talking about!

Shit like this is why my self-esteem is so low.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20388 on: September 07, 2018, 01:09:19 PM »
People only have kids because they're searching for some shred of meaning in their existence.

But yeah, try not to let it affect your self-esteem. You're still you no matter what people think! 
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20389 on: September 07, 2018, 06:55:08 PM »
People often look at me like some sort of 2 headed alien because I'm 40, but I'm not married, I don't have kids, am not in a relationship and do not want to be in one.  I simply prefer to live my life on my own terms.  I feel lacking in nothing and do not wish to disturb my pattern of life.  And it seems to be a trend in my family that a lot of the 30-something men of marriageable age simply don't desire to marry and have "dat life."  What's funny is that the grandma generation are the ones who are cool with folks like me not wanting to marry.  Whereas it's people my age or younger who always say stuff like, "You're a handsome dude.  Why aren't you married yet?" 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20390 on: September 07, 2018, 07:26:00 PM »
People only have kids because they're searching for some shred of meaning in their existence.
Or because they like children, or they need more hands to help work the fields, or they're attempting to cement a failing relationship, or they need a successor to the throne, or they're answering the biological imperative, or just by accident.
Having kids because you're looking for meaning is a good a reason as any.  Those kids are likely going to be valued, which is a good start to life.

People often look at me like some sort of 2 headed alien because I'm 40, but I'm not married, I don't have kids, am not in a relationship and do not want to be in one.  I simply prefer to live my life on my own terms.  I feel lacking in nothing and do not wish to disturb my pattern of life.  And it seems to be a trend in my family that a lot of the 30-something men of marriageable age simply don't desire to marry and have "dat life."  What's funny is that the grandma generation are the ones who are cool with folks like me not wanting to marry.  Whereas it's people my age or younger who always say stuff like, "You're a handsome dude.  Why aren't you married yet?" 
I'm 39, and I might be married with kids if I wasn't so shy.  I don't blame anyone else for not wanting that, though.

Haps:
I was getting a little flabby, so I bought a scale.  Stepped on it, and was appropriately shocked.  Anyway, I guess I'm gonna lose 20 pounds.  ("Possible side-effects of medication:  May cause weight gain").

ironmage's special diet plan (guaranteed!*):
  • Eat whatever you want.
  • Estimate the calories.  When you hit 1500ish, you're done for the day.
  • Let the diet slip, one day a week.  If use your willpower for weeks on end, you're going to snap.
  • If you're not going to bed hungry once in a while, you're probably cheating on the calorie counting.

The "eat whatever you want" bit isn't as great as you might think.  You know how all snack packages are single-serving size?  Well, that bag of potato chips is 1000 kCal.  I want to open that, I've gotta skip two meals that day.

*Small print small print small print.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20391 on: September 08, 2018, 08:15:46 AM »
^ also try to do some sort of exercise. Even if it's walking for a half hour. Kicks starts the metabolism.

I'm only married because my wife woke up one day and demanded it happen.  I've never wanted children, but I suspect if I ever do have a kid it'll be because of something similar. Her best friend just had a baby and she is all googlie eyed over it...

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20392 on: September 08, 2018, 08:30:53 AM »
The moment a baby's poopy diaper stinks to the high heavens is the moment it stops being cute.  Either that, or the moment babies learn the word "no!" is when they stop being cute. 

As for haps, no major haps but I'm thinking about stuff.  Like does the nature of the person who made a craft affect how much you like the craft?  For example, do you like a band's music less if the people in the band are douchey? 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:37:12 AM by Dincrest »

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20393 on: September 08, 2018, 10:23:10 AM »
As for haps, no major haps but I'm thinking about stuff.  Like does the nature of the person who made a craft affect how much you like the craft?  For example, do you like a band's music less if the people in the band are douchey?

Yes.  I stopped listening to Brand New entirely once Jesse Lacey admitted to coercing under aged girls into having sex with him.  Prior to that they'd been my favorite band since i was in high school.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20394 on: September 08, 2018, 10:51:10 AM »
The poop thing goes for everyone...

Someone shat in one of the bins in the men's bathroom at our community center. We still haven't gotten the stench out.

Longer version:

I volunteer at our community center/guild hall once a week. It's mostly cleaning and the bathrooms have become my territory because I'm not some whiny diva who just wants to brag about volunteer work but not actually do it. It's usually nothing bad, but some of the people in the 'old folks daycare' aren't very good at using the bathroom anymore and shit happens. Sometimes on the floor, sometimes on the walls, sometimes somewhere behind the toilet that makes you go 'how did that get here?' Fortunately for me, it appeared to have been a relatively accident free week. Even so, most bathrooms don't really smell clean until I've mopped the floors (twice).

Like usual, I go about my business cleaning up other people's business and eventually get to the emptying and relining all the bins part of the job. I get to the back downstairs men's bathroom, lift off the top of the bin and start taking out the bag so I can tie it. The moment I lift it, the weight - and most unfortunately - the SMELL hits me. I quickly close the bag, but it's everywhere. The smell, not the origin, fortunately, but I could see the liquid slodging around in the bag. Yes, liquid. I quickly get rid of the biohazard and warn the manager, but even with his help it takes a while to get the shitty odor out of the bathroom. Then we realise something: despite the tough garbage bag, the smell had penetrated deep within the plastic of the bin. The bin itself now smells like poop.

That was Wednesday. We're running out of cleaning products to use and the Great Stink remains undefeated. After the weekend, I will make one final valiant attempt using a very pepperminty product animal shelters use to clean their smelliest cages. If that doesn't work, we might have to toss the bin-shaped stink bomb.

On the upside, we're very close to figuring out the culprit. Unless there's some random loser sneaking into community centers to shit intheir bins, it must have been one of the elderly card players. While we have not found a pair of underwear (no way I was going to stick a hand in there, not even a gloved one!), we feel safe to suspect someone soiled themselves, tossed everything in the bin and covered it up with paper towels in hopes of hiding the smell. They got away with until their foul creation was disturbed by my diligent cleaning. What sucks, though, is that if he had just warned the manager after it happened, the manager would have thrown the bag away discreetly. It was because it was hidden and slowly but surely defiled the bin itself, that this story is now spreading like wildfire, because 'some dude shat in our bin despite the toilet being like three feet away' makes for some good gossip.

My personal experience is that most creative people are weird, assholes or weird assholes. That's the norm. As long as they don't do anything very legally or morally bankrupt, there's a lot I can ignore. And in the case of movies, I always try to remember it's not just the creation of some pervy director, but that there are many, many more people who made that into what it is.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #20395 on: September 08, 2018, 11:22:29 AM »
Like does the nature of the person who made a craft affect how much you like the craft?  For example, do you like a band's music less if the people in the band are douchey?

Wagner was anti-semitic, and had some *cough* ideas about racial purity, but I still like Der Ring des Nibelungen. (The music, anyway.  The libretto is sometimes a bit weird).  Now, if he was still alive today, I wouldn't be sending any money his way (by buying albums, attending his operas, or whatever), but I try to separate my appraisal of someone's work from my willingness to support them.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20396 on: September 08, 2018, 11:38:16 AM »
oh a poop story. you could work at my old library.  there's a position that just opened!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20397 on: September 10, 2018, 03:02:40 AM »
No thank you.

More busy weekend stuff: a small casual and sorta 3D archery event at a local farm. I helped set stuff up and tried to make myself useful. I also competed, but didn't rank high because of nerves and there being more than a few distances and targets I'm unfamiliar with.

One of the targets wasn't even for our regular bows, but for this monstrous crossbow. That thing makes me so nervous. It's so heavy, keeping it steady is a real ordeal and I'm not a fan of things with triggers in general. During lunch, I heard some of the experienced target shooters and crossbow archers complaining someone should take a look at the thing because it clearly deviated to the left. Keeping that in mind, I was able to hit the bullseye once in the second round. Yay for me!

I won't ever be a fan of crossbows, though. They're scary.

The event was for the archers of the local guild, a friendly club form a nearby village, and their family. That meant interacting with a bunch of new people and I managed to confuse most of them.

First of all, despite having lived within the same 5km radius my whole life, people think I'm an outsider because I don't speak with an accent. That's fair enough, I guess. My dad's an outsider and while he does understand the dialect now, he didn't back when he and my mom got married. As a result, we always spoke standard Dutch at home. My dad is also the reason why I have a very sea-related family name despite there not being a drop of saltwater nearby. Nowadays, that's nothing unusual, but it's still a novelty to the older generations and that other archery club is pretty elderly. They're from an dying village and their youngest members are in their fifties.

Speaking of age, there was of course the age thing. Again. We don't have any shirts in my size, so I just wear the smallest they have and rock that tunic look. The downside: oversized clothing make me look smaller and younger. One of the little kids asked me: "Are you a kid like me or are you a grown-up?" Damnit, kid. You're supposed to be at that age where you think everyone older than you has one foot in the grave...

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20398 on: September 10, 2018, 10:26:37 AM »

Is this about Koichi Sugiyama?

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #20399 on: September 10, 2018, 10:51:30 AM »
@Arvis - No, it was actually stemmed from a discussion I was having with some studio musicians I was working with the weekend before.  I was more thinking about this: http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=8301.msg374566;topicseen#msg374566 (tl;dr- I liked a band when I was younger, I met the frontman at a festival, he was a complete tool, now I can't listen to his music any more without gagging.) 

I was also thinking about Jaco Pastorius from Weather Report, since our recording engineer is also an accomplished bassist and Jaco came up in our discussion.  Jaco is a god among bassists.  Bassists to this day are still trying to cop his licks and failing miserably.  Jaco was a revolutionary and I probably wouldn't be a bass player if Jaco hadn't revolutionized bass guitar playing. However, he was a raging asshole narcissist.  Sure "it ain't bragging if you can back it up" and he always backed it up, but I can't hero-worship a musician who's a dickhead.  Before Jaco played bass in Weather Report, their bassist was Alphonso Johnson.  Not only is Alphonso one of the finest bass players alive right now, but he is a warm and humble person despite being such an accomplished innovator himself.  My bass teacher introduced me to him when I was 15 and just barely starting out.  That Alphonso was willing to take the time out to chat with a wet-behind-the-ears kid like me about life and music inspired me to both be a better musician and be a better person.  I swore from that day on that if I ever got to his kind of level, I would want to make any kid who met me feel the same way he made me feel.  I'll never forget this one night after a Kryovax show when a kid came up to me all excited and said, "You were awesome!  I always wanted to learn guitar and start a band, but after seeing you, I want to play bass!" 

Regarding Sugiyama specifically, while I do think he's the worst kind of Old Man (being a war crime denying right-wingnut history revisionist and all) I never liked his music in the first place.  Ergo, I don't feel that emotionally shattering "my idol's fall from grace" type thing at all regarding him.  Sugiyama is like those bands I've seen or played shows with who are incredibly skilled at their instruments, play complex patterns effortlessly, and perform with studio level tightness... but I can't remember any of their songs.  In terms of music alone, I do think Sugiyama is overrated but I don't think he's a hack the way I think Motoi Sakuraba is nor an overrated hack the way I think Hitoshi Sakimoto is. 

Truth be told, I've never gotten on with the Dragon Quest series, period.  Dragon Quest is a series I should theoretically adore, but try as I might I could never get into it.  I've played a handful of games including the famed VIII, and though I agree that VIII is one of the finest JRPGs out there, I simply did not vibe with it at all.  It was like being on a date with a great girl but the chemistry wasn't there.  The only Dragon Quest game I enjoyed was Rocket Slime.  That game was super fun!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:29:56 AM by Dincrest »