Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 07:39:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340892 Posts in 13932 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fallout NV vs Fable 3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Fallout NV vs Fable 3  (Read 5002 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2010, 09:32:19 PM »

Yes, yes I'm aware; different RPG genres, different gameplay styles...ect. XD I can only afford one new release this month and it's come down to a call between these two. Fallout NV kind of appeals to me simply for the nostalgia factor the Fallout series has always brought to the table. The idea of a free roaming world with a decent story like 3 provided, only in the New Vegas setting, has a charm that totally catches my eye. Fable 3 on the other hand has that sort of "unknown potential" since I haven't had a chance to play the first, and what little I've gotten to play of the second I've enjoyed. The idea of going from rebellious soldier to merciful or tyrannical king sounds awesome, and I can't think of any other game that's offered that type of story with those kinds of choices before.

From just a general viewpoint, for people who've had interest in both titles; which would you pick and why? I'm needing additional feedback on both beyond what Gametrailers can provide. XD Thanks in advance for your opinions~.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 02:11:57 AM »

For me the choice was made the moment NV was announced.  I had the CE pre ordered and im content.  I loved Fallout 3, and I think the changes Obsidian is making will spice things up.  However, Obsidian, while I do still think they are a pretty good dev, do have a track record of buggy or arguably incomplete releases (though KOTOR 2 was lucasarts fault imo).  However I think they did an excellent job on what they could do with Kotor 2, and NWN 2 and its expansions.  And despite Alpha Protocols many flaws, I still enjoyed playing it through to the finish.  So I personally don't feel like there will be any glaring issues with Fallout NV (at least no more glaring than issues with F3 when it was released), that is something to keep in mind.  You could also view it as more of the same, since the graphics engine, while what ive heard has been tweaked, has not been majorly changed, so it still looks quite similar to F3.

I doubt Fable 3 would be a bad choice either.  The first Fable was a big disappointment to most people, due to Molyneuxs overhyping and promises of things he didn't deliver.  However I feel Fable 2 was a GREAT improvement, and I very much enjoyed the game, though he did overhype again.  Now, I dont know all that much about 3, but if the improvements are on the same level as the ones between 1 and 2...should be damn amazing.  And if they put in some more DLC support, could be really really good, I felt fable 2's support was a bit lackluster.  Fable 3 also lets you become a monarch, and depending on the depth of that feature, its got me excited, and ill probably consider getting it next month, at the very least renting it.

So thats my two cents, personally id recommend both if you had the money, but obviously you dont, so I would personally go with Fallout NV, but I loved all the past Fallouts, including 3, despite the massive change between it and 2.  I love the atmosphere of the game, the feeling it gives.  I feel confident Obsidian can provide the same with New Vegas.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 03:50:43 AM »

Fallout 3 > Fable II

Does that make the choice a bit easier?

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 04:12:00 AM »

Vanquish, and your life will be better. Or you can buy the new Fallout too, looks pretty good.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 04:12:43 AM »

They are totally different games though. I bet some gamers would love Fable's RPG-lite 3rd person action style more than Fallout's deep RPG system.

IMO just get Fallout 3 and Fable 2 and play them both :P

fake dit: Or get vanquish, home of the real gameplay
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 04:15:56 AM »

I've been on a Bethesda binge for the last two months so the choice is obvious for me - yes I'm aware it's Obsidian developed.  Every preview I've read says NV basically takes the good from Fallout 3 and adds in the good from Fallout 1+2. 
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 04:27:49 AM »

Its also got Felicia Day.

FELICIA FUCKING DAY

She's like dice x 1000
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 07:02:10 AM »

I didn't enjoy Fable 2 as much Fallout 3, mainly because I love the setting of Fallout.

The choice is obvious.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 11:44:03 AM »

Its also got Felicia Day.

Yeah, but you can't see her... so does it really matter?

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 02:15:24 PM »

Why is everyone always so gung-ho over Fable every time it comes out. I've never played one, but there's a reason for that. The development cycle is like Steve Jobs and Apple on a bad acid trip. Hype, Hype, and more hype, and huge disappointment. All I heard about the first one was how it completely didn't deliver. All I heard about the second was that it was generic and boring as sin. Now you guys are going to bite a third time? In the words of Serah Pallin, "Thanks but No Thanks"

Fallout NV is the only RPG I've been waiting for for the second half of 2010.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 02:26:16 PM »

"I've got spurs that jingle,jangle,jingle"

Fallout New Vegas next week for me.I have traveled the post-apocalyptic wasteland for 10 years and I'm still continuing my quest to amass the greatest slavery empire ever.

Fable 3 is a maybe but its release date conflicts with my other purchases like Vanquish and Rock band 3

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 06:15:12 PM »

I'm done w/ massive open world games like Fallout for a while. After Fallout 3 and Oblivion I've had enough of that type of game to last years.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 07:19:34 PM »

Why is everyone always so gung-ho over Fable every time it comes out. I've never played one, but there's a reason for that. The development cycle is like Steve Jobs and Apple on a bad acid trip. Hype, Hype, and more hype, and huge disappointment. All I heard about the first one was how it completely didn't deliver. All I heard about the second was that it was generic and boring as sin. Now you guys are going to bite a third time? In the words of Serah Pallin, "Thanks but No Thanks"

Maybe because independent from the hype, the Fable games are decent? I dunno, hype always seemed like a poor excuse to hate a game, especially if the game is decent.

Your 'generic and boring' accusation rings hollow, as well, since you like Final Fantasy XIII, which was generic and boring to the extreme.

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 07:43:40 PM »

If you had to choose between the two, NV is the way to go.

I mean I've never put a huge amount of time in Fable 1 or 2. It usually is a very simple game and doesn't draw me enough into its world. Fallout's on the other hand is much more realized and rewarding when it comes to exploration.

Me? I'm buying every major fucking game coming out in the next few months. And I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:58:15 PM by hell_snake » Logged

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 09:01:07 PM »

Maybe because independent from the hype, the Fable games are decent? I dunno, hype always seemed like a poor excuse to hate a game, especially if the game is decent.

Your 'generic and boring' accusation rings hollow, as well, since you like Final Fantasy XIII, which was generic and boring to the extreme.

It's funny that you mention it, because hype didn't stop him from buying FFXIII.  It was one of the most overhyped games of this console generation and ended up being nothing more than the biggest anime.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: