Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:25:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334522 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fallout NV vs Fable 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Fallout NV vs Fable 3  (Read 4797 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 09:33:56 PM »

It's funny that you mention it, because hype didn't stop him from buying FFXIII.  It was one of the most overhyped games of this console generation and ended up being nothing more than the biggest anime.

... I don't think I can really think of any other game more overhyped now that I think about it. At least, hyped compared to what people seemed to expect, there was a lot of anticipation around games like Halo 3, and Killzone 2's hype always baffled me given the lukewarm reception of the original, but I can't imagine a game that went contrary to what people (here anyway) wanted as much as FFXIII has. With that said, few people in the industry are as insufferable as Peter Molyneux, pretty much all the overhype for his games comes from him and him alone.

Anyways, I'd go with Fallout New Vegas. Fallout's been a series I've liked while there's this kind of vibe that Fable that I can't stand. I guess it has to do with how utterly straight they play up the whole LEGENDARY HERO thing.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:36:03 PM by Eusis » Logged
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 09:46:36 PM »

Man I had SO MUCH HYPE for FF13. I thought Square-Enix was going to fucking redefine the genre, and what we see as gaming as we know it. What a fool I was.`
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 10:46:31 PM »

Man I had SO MUCH HYPE for FF13. I thought Square-Enix was going to fucking redefine the genre, and what we see as gaming as we know it. What a fool I was.`

Yes anyone thinking that about any game before they buy it, Final Fantasy or no, is a fool.

As for the topic on hand - Fallout NV no contest. I may have become extremely bored by Fallout 3, but the Fable games at no point were interesting. I'm hoping a new setting will liven up Fallout for me. Besides, I like Bethesda games (even if it is the same game over and over). Just waiting for them to do a game in a steam punk setting! (I prefer US and UK industrial revolution settings the most)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 02:56:48 AM »

Heh, interesting to see there's such a landslide consensus. I've decided to go with Fallout NV. Partially due to feedback here, partially due to really crappy gameplay videos of Fable 3 (I know it's probably not that shallow but all the vids I've seen make it look like a button mashing Dynasty Warriors game only without some of the challenge and combat variance via weapon switching), and partially due to the "shiny" factor of the CE version...yes...I'm buying a game partially because it has cool looking poker chips and a extra content that makes me reminisce of the old Lunar Complete Collection boxes... >///<;
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 04:17:30 AM »

FF13 is the Barack Obama of video games: could never possibly live up to the hype, but good none-the-less.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 06:29:43 AM »

Fallout easily. You made the right choice.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 09:05:34 AM »

FF13 is the Barack Obama of video games: could never possibly live up to the hype, but good none-the-less.
Its quality is up to the opinion of the people who play it (I personally thought it was terrible despite appreciating what it was trying to do) but all you're doing here is highlighting your ignorance by pretending something can be separate frm its hype merey because you like it, and hate on something else for being hyped because you have no interest/have not played it.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 09:08:37 AM »

I wouldn't go out with a girl if she thought FFXIII was a good game
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 10:38:37 AM »

I preordered Fable III and don't plan on buying NV at all. The Fallout games can have all of the little customizing and options it wants, the Fable games are simply more fun to me. I like the graphics/color/art direction more, like the British sense of humor, I like the fact it doesn't take itself seriously at all. Also, I still get the feeling when I play it that the last Fallout was more of a shooter than an RPG anyway. I know people will disagree with that, but that's the way I think of it.

This is just going on past games of course.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2010, 10:41:32 AM »

Most girls I know liked FF XIII. Maybe the game had qualities that girls prefer.

And none of 'em liked Fallout 3 for some reason.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 01:30:56 PM »

I preordered Fable III and don't plan on buying NV at all. The Fallout games can have all of the little customizing and options it wants, the Fable games are simply more fun to me. I like the graphics/color/art direction more, like the British sense of humor, I like the fact it doesn't take itself seriously at all. Also, I still get the feeling when I play it that the last Fallout was more of a shooter than an RPG anyway. I know people will disagree with that, but that's the way I think of it.

This is just going on past games of course.

Hmm, which games are you holding NV up to? Bethesda's, or Obsidian's/Black Isle's? Because the latter's a better indicator, their Fallout games would do weird stuff like allow you to stumble upon the TARDIS.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 03:42:38 PM »

Fable I was just OK.
Fable II was a ton better, with a great battle system. I had a lot of fun with it, despite the horrible ending and obnoxious npcs.
Despite all the hype(there's that word again) over fallout 3 around here I have yet to play it. Looks complicated and depressing.
Personally, I'm not getting either one anytime soon. Too many other games to play still.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010, 10:10:11 PM »

I believe that sort of behavior is called "shallow".
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »

Most girls I know liked FF XIII. Maybe the game had qualities that girls prefer.

And none of 'em liked Fallout 3 for some reason.

Funny you should mention this.  While, admittedly, most women (20+) I know  preferred Oblivion to F3, there's definitely a group that liked F3.  There's also these groups of younger women (15+) who are in love with the idea of the pairing CharonxFemPC. 

That said, why can't we like both?  Why should we be limited to liking one or the other?  Especially based off of sex.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2010, 11:37:31 PM »

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: