Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 02:14:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334433 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fallout NV vs Fable 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Fallout NV vs Fable 3  (Read 4794 times)
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2010, 01:25:33 PM »

Hmm weird. I have no way of testing this since I don't have an Xbox 360 and don't foresee myself getting one anytime soon. I've been told it works, don't know much else about it though.

It worked for awhile, then Microsoft blocked web "purchases" on the item. Still doesn't stop you from downloading if you did before though.

Yeah I DL'd Fable 2,got some achievements,did some co-op etc.

It was a glitch and I have the game safely stored :)

Up next Fallout NV!

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2010, 03:48:51 PM »

Fake sequel means a game based on an a very recent IP, which is not made by the original developers, just to cash in on on the success of the said IP, in the .  For example Bioshock 2, made by 2K Marin(as opposed to Irrational games), clearly inferior to Bioshock 1, while Irrational makes Bioshock Infinite which IMHO is the true sequel.

Yeah, you would be right, except that Obsidian is actually made up of most of the ORIGINAL Fallout 1 & 2 developers. If anything, Fallout 3 is the so-called "Fake Sequel". Obsidian actually was developing Fallout 3 first, when Bethesda bought the IP and shut the operation down. NV is roughly based on the Fallout 3 "Van Buran" that Obsidian was working on, even before Bethesda began. So this is nothing like the Bioshock 2 analogy. This is basically the original developers taking back their own IP. For the Bioshock analogy to even work, this new Fallout game would take place in Washington DC, maybe a few years later after major events had taken place. In this case, we have a new location, with a very different situation, different theme, completely different cast, and different story. The only thing I can see that was directly taken from Fallout 3 is the basic gameplay, which for an RPG usually means very little.

So, in summary... Fallout NV is made by the original developers while Fallout 3 is not, so the "fake sequel" thing doesn't take from the definition you gave. And second, NV is a completely new game, as much as the difference between Fallout 1 & 2. So throw all of that nay-saying out the window, brother, we have a brand new Fallout game to celebrate!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2010, 03:55:36 PM »

Fake sequel means a game based on an a very recent IP, which is not made by the original developers, just to cash in on on the success of the said IP, in the .  For example Bioshock 2, made by 2K Marin(as opposed to Irrational games), clearly inferior to Bioshock 1, while Irrational makes Bioshock Infinite which IMHO is the true sequel.

So, in summary... Fallout NV is made by the original developers while Fallout 3 is not, so the "fake sequel" thing doesn't take from the definition you gave. And second, NV is a completely new game, as much as the difference between Fallout 1 & 2. So throw all of that nay-saying out the window, brother, we have a brand new Fallout game to celebrate!

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »

Yeah, you would be right, except that Obsidian is actually made up of most of the ORIGINAL Fallout 1 & 2 developers. If anything, Fallout 3 is the so-called "Fake Sequel". Obsidian actually was developing Fallout 3 first, when Bethesda bought the IP and shut the operation down. NV is roughly based on the Fallout 3 "Van Buran" that Obsidian was working on, even before Bethesda began. So this is nothing like the Bioshock 2 analogy. This is basically the original developers taking back their own IP. For the Bioshock analogy to even work, this new Fallout game would take place in Washington DC, maybe a few years later after major events had taken place. In this case, we have a new location, with a very different situation, different theme, completely different cast, and different story. The only thing I can see that was directly taken from Fallout 3 is the basic gameplay, which for an RPG usually means very little.

Your information is... well, mostly wrong actually. Obsidian was a part of Black Isle, and as Black Isle they were going to develop Van Buren before Interplay shut that down. Years later, as Interplay became a shell of its former self they sold the IP to Obsidian, who decided to make their own Fallout 3 instead. New Vegas apparently takes some design from Van Buren, but is more or less a new thing, you can read more here.

Anyways, having read most of that article: frankly I think the guy's an asshat. There's undeniably cheap cash-ins, and companies like Activision are particularly reprehensible about it, but as long as the game is good does it REALLY matter who it came from? Bioshock 2's not as good as the original, no, but if you can get it for cheap it's definitely worth playing through, and it's not like these are completely different unrelated games branded as being part of that series... and some of those tur out fantastic anyway (Kirby Epic Yarn seems to be an example of that). Anyways, I'm not lumping New Vegas in with those, at worst it'll be slightly different because it's also an attempt to get the original developers to make a game rather than a bunch of completely unrelated people.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2010, 06:39:13 PM »

Well if I'm wrong I'm wrong, I'm still gonna wait to see if NV is good before I buy(trust me I loved FO3 so I hope it will be).

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: