Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 07:38:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330113 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Mega Man Legends 3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Mega Man Legends 3  (Read 10277 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2010, 02:25:45 AM »

"There is no Capcom without you."

"You are going to help me make this game a success"

Both signed by Keiji "InafKing" Inafune!! (source: Rockman Perfect Memories)

Mega Man Legends 3

Developer: Capcom
Publisher: Capcom
Director: Masakazu Eguchi
Producer: Keiji Inafune
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Genre: Action-RPG

Official Japanese website: http://www.capcom.co.jp/rockman/dash3/
Japanese blog: http://blog.daletto.net/dash3/
Devroom: http://www.capcom-unity.com/devroom
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:10:53 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 03:44:14 AM »

Y'know news of this game inspired me to go back and wrangle up the originals and play them again. Currently on the MML play through and I have to wonder exactly how badly do some people suck at these kinds of games. I mean when you have some of the more mainstream game review sites looking back on the Megaman series and pointing out Legends as one of the worst due to "poor controls" or "terrible voice acting" when in truth it really had neither of those faults. (And this isn't fanboyism defense either. I've played modern games with far worse control and VA work than even the original MML.)

Makes me think MML never caught on in it's time just because it was "different". Hopefully MML 3 will do better because the market has gotten used to the umpteen handfuls of Megaman spin-offs that have hit the market since then.

I will say this though...if they fail to get the old VA for Teisel Bonne this game is going to suffer. XD That character carried most of the game's humor alone and rediscovering him today definitely puts him as perhaps one of my most favorite video game "villains" of all time.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 09:53:44 AM »

The controls ARE less than ideal, but that's because it was designed for a non-analog controller, the jump to MML2's DualShock controls was huge (and similarly complaints of that controlling like crap are BS). I don't quite get the voice acting complaints though, are they holding them up to modern standards? Because for the time it was the single best dub a Mega Man game saw and while it may not have been amazing it did its job more than well enough.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 10:03:08 AM by Eusis » Logged
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:00:45 AM »

Yeah, the recording quality was kinda weird in some parts, but I like that the characters sound more reserved...that might have more to do with the setting and such though.

I just know I didn't like ZXA's voices very much.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 10:04:20 AM »

I also imagine they'd at least try to take the VA seriously when it's such a huge part of the game, MML had probably a few hours (AN hour at least) whereas MM8 and X4 had, uhh, 15 minutes maybe? They were also improving then though since RE2 had notably better VA than RE1, though I don't think that series can really escape having goofy cutscenes.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 10:15:03 AM by Eusis » Logged
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 10:10:04 AM »

what are you talking about x4's voices will be remembered forever

what-am-i posting fouuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 01:16:21 PM »

Classic...,

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 05:55:41 PM »

The controls ARE less than ideal, but that's because it was designed for a non-analog controller, the jump to MML2's DualShock controls was huge (and similarly complaints of that controlling like crap are BS).

In what way are they less than idea? (Genuinely curious) So far the only complaints I have about MML's controls is the manual camera is slightly slower than your turning speed when circling an enemy; so every so often you'll have to stop and tap the lock on button to realign yourself. That and the manual shooting aim has flight-style height controls. (I've never understood why people feel the need to make Down, Up and Up, Down.)

Other that than, Megaman goes where he needs to. The firing is smooth. The camera never gets in my way while jumping.

Unlike say...Super Mario Sunshine (a game from a franchise known for it's controls). The wonky controls in that game led to many a game over. ~.~
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 06:09:06 PM »

In what way are they less than idea? (Genuinely curious) So far the only complaints I have about MML's controls is the manual camera is slightly slower than your turning speed when circling an enemy; so every so often you'll have to stop and tap the lock on button to realign yourself. That and the manual shooting aim has flight-style height controls. (I've never understood why people feel the need to make Down, Up and Up, Down.)

Mainly because the controls were a perfect fit for dual analog, where you can control the camera with the right stick, it's somewhat cubersome to use the shoulder buttons for it though it's not too hard to adjust to, and I recall there was some level of auto aim anyway. Never had an issue with the manual shooting but then Star Fox 1 and 64 trained me to use up for down and down for up.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »

Ah, that makes sense. I guess since MML was the first type of that style of game I played I  just accepted that as "normal". There was auto aim but in some parts manual aiming was required or made things significantly easier. The whole boat scene and the super-tall reaverbot boss from the subsequent ruin come to mind.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 12:45:12 AM »

Inafune expresses intense dislike for his job.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 12:48:44 AM »

When I took my picture of him (Keiji Inafune) at Comic Con, I screamed Megaman Legends 3, even though they were demoing Megaman Universe all around him. He gave me a super jp powered thumbs up, and I knew....This game will be great!

He's officially the coolest japanese person I've ever met.

TASTY!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 01:00:50 AM »

Yikes.
Depends how you look at it -hit Japanese games seem fewer and far between nowadays, if not something almost mocked stateside (would *you* ever admit to anyone you play Ar-Tonelico and tell them what you do in it?  Poor example, but you get the drift).

I personally found a lot of MM platformers a real drag and bore... Especially knowing far better was capable when MM9 (I think it was) had been announced.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 01:19:24 AM »

@Dice: I just bought Ar Tonelico x.x

Did I just buy an H game or something? I let my little sister read the manual! D:

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 01:22:19 AM »

@Dice: I just bought Ar Tonelico x.x

Did I just buy an H game or something? I let my little sister read the manual! D:

Ar Tonelico is known for having some rather strong innuendo. Nothing major honestly except for one little scene. Just make sure no one else is around if you chose to follow Aurica about a third of the way through the game. That's all I'm saying. XD

About the only thing I've seen on the stateside JRPG market that comes close to H-game levels is Record of Agarest War.

Plus Dice is putting the wrong spin on it. If somewhere were to ask me what you do in Ar Tonelico:

"You play as a stereotypical male JRPG lead going through a relatively generic but interesting plot with the main spin on the battle system being your Reyvateil partner. A Reyvateil is practically a bio-android life-form that is always generated in the form of a human female and creates magic by singing in a special language and generates the bulk of her power from her psychological bond with her partner. Said bond is strengthened by accessing your partner's psyche and "diving" into her repressed persona aspects and gaining her acceptance by exposing yourself to her true, unrestricted emotions.

Also, be warned this process is presented in a manner parallel to copulation and entails all the typical "sex jokes" one might encounter in Junior High. In addition Reyvateils are sometimes treated with a degree of sexism/racism (as it's not so much that they're "female" as they are "Reyvateil"). Therefore extremely sensitive individuals might not care to play this game because they will become offended over something that really isn't that big of a deal but someone looking for a fight can nitpick at it easily."

______________-

Also to sort of respond to Dice: I would totally admit to playing Ar Tonelico before admitting to playing something like GTA or Halo. (The first for the fact of what you do/can do in game; the other for the huge negative perception the fanbase generates. Not that I have interest in either but they're popular enough to make good examples.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 01:38:19 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: