Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 04:18:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329349 Posts in 13491 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Mega Man Legends 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Mega Man Legends 3  (Read 10229 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 01:25:05 AM »

@Dice: I just bought Ar Tonelico x.x

Did I just buy an H game or something? I let my little sister read the manual! D:

Ar Tonelico is known for having some rather strong innuendo. Nothing major honestly except for one little scene. Just make sure no one else is around if you chose to follow Aurica about a third of the way through the game. That's all I'm saying. XD

About the only thing I've seen on the stateside JRPG market that comes close to H-game levels is Record of Agarest War.

I'd argue those games don't work as well here.  I'm pretty sure in your circle of friends you've said "those crazy japanese" or some derivative of it.

It's a good game sure; but it's riddled with cheese, innuendo, and see-through characters.
Seems US markets are more willing to sacrifice story for good gameplay (ie; sport games here are a sell to the more average player...not us RPGfan-ers.)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 01:47:40 AM »

@Dice: I just bought Ar Tonelico x.x

Did I just buy an H game or something? I let my little sister read the manual! D:

Ar Tonelico is known for having some rather strong innuendo. Nothing major honestly except for one little scene. Just make sure no one else is around if you chose to follow Aurica about a third of the way through the game. That's all I'm saying. XD

About the only thing I've seen on the stateside JRPG market that comes close to H-game levels is Record of Agarest War.

I'd argue those games don't work as well here.  I'm pretty sure in your circle of friends you've said "those crazy japanese" or some derivative of it.

It's a good game sure; but it's riddled with cheese, innuendo, and see-through characters.
Seems US markets are more willing to sacrifice story for good gameplay (ie; sport games here are a sell to the more average player...not us RPGfan-ers.)

Unfortunately that's more of a "whole US culture" thing than a "US game culture" thing. Look at the popular movies and at the popular novels. Pretty much all the hit-sellers to the average consumer are all flash and no substance.

Anything that has a good story or (heaven forbid) a fantastic combination of substance and flash gets shoved to the wayside. *says a small prayer for the recently buried Scott Pilgrim*

And yes, I have said something akin to that before but for vastly different reasons. Say, like for example,...the "Learn how to say "I need an ambulance! I have diarrhea!" In English via slow-paced Jazzercizing Lessions" video.  XD
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 02:14:51 AM »

Considering that many Japanese games also fit the bill, it's not just a US thing.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 02:17:24 AM »

I think this topic calls for a video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ufVQIUEiYc

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 02:42:35 AM »

Yikes.
Depends how you look at it -hit Japanese games seem fewer and far between nowadays, if not something almost mocked stateside

Maybe this is because the market is too saturated right now?
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 09:09:51 AM »

Yikes.
Depends how you look at it -hit Japanese games seem fewer and far between nowadays, if not something almost mocked stateside

Maybe this is because the market is too saturated right now?

Mmm.. possibly.
I blame it more on part of innovation dying within Japanese games; they're too good at sticking with what they know sometimes. 
I applaud FF13 (yes, I know) for being the most different of the series (if only not for the fact they took away the one part people love most - the exploration element).  But then you get the HUUUGE amount of games that stick to basics.  The Atelier series, for one, has remained relatively unchanged (why can't the games have an extensive alchemy-making system AND good battle system to exploit obtained items?).  Cutesy graphics don't help the other, older gamers either.  I'm damn near embarrassed to play a lot of JRPGs with the voice on at times.  Like Agarest War all you want, but I sincerely hope you get sick of the "sexy" sausage eating girl and grow up; it's a stupid ploy and hardly funny.  Maybe it's easier for me to say that as a girl, but I just roll my eyes when I see that.
I think my argument plucks out more the low budge, who-gives-a-fuck-about-gameplay-when-you-got-moe-girls-and-boob-and-panty-jokes.... but it's a stale argument that I'm really sick of making.

Let's go, Last Story!
I can understand Inafune's frustration, partially on the fact that it's a rare few games that actually stand out.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 12:09:29 PM »

I don't think I know a single person that thinks the stupid sausage thing they pull in JRPGs/anime is funny. Well, maybe it's funny because you're laughing at it, once or twice. To me, it's not even really funny if you're in a juvenile mood, because you know it's just there to appeal to people who get off on that sort of thing instead of being in any way tongue-in-cheek.

I think my biggest problem with Japanese cutesy graphics is that they often have this tendency to...sexualize them. I just don't get it. You have stuff that's "cute storybook" like Professor Layton and maybe some of the Mana games, you have stuff that's "puppy dog cute" like...I dunno, Cooking Mama, then a lot of the time the Japanese take the latter and adulterate it (See: Almost every freaking Nippon Ichi game ever).

Also I'm not sure if I could praise FFXIII for being different. I feel like they removed a bunch of features from previous games and then replaced it with nothing. That's not really daring to be anything, that just feels lazy.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »

Phew, no one tried to argue about how gameplay should be secondary to story or anything.

... Anyways, with the whole style versus substance thing: Yeah, that's definitely not bound to a single culture. Hell, it could be worse in Japan if this guy is to be fully trusted and isn't just embittered. Certainly some of the most beloved games from Japan didn't have much of an impact at home such as Demon's Souls... though there MAY be some conclusion jumping at 500,000 sales in the US there, given that Sony could've given leeway for Greatest Hits or it may've even surpassed it by a great deal.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 04:52:34 PM »

Actually the whole "sausage thing" just about kept me from buying Agarest War at all. The only thing that "saved" it from being ignored entirely was the fact that said scene requires following a "perfect" pathway to unlock. Even without that nonsense though Agarest failed on its own merits. XP

I agree with Dice to an extent,  but personally I find the Japanese fanservice gags to be far more tolerable than American fanservice; which is less about gags and simply a question of "How much pure nudity and sex can we add into this game/movie/book?" Pretty much anything with any of that is a "No buy/see" for me. Then again I was born with HSDD so my ability to understand or appreciate things like that is practically nonexistent.

Back on my play through of MML I have to say I forgot exactly how much side-quest stuff there was to do. About a third of my gameplay's length has been subquests or side-ruin exploration. On that note: I really, really hate the Mega-Grenades. ~.~; Required only to blow up a few walls for some secret loot but the energy for that weapon is so bad you're going to have to run out of the entire dungeon at least once to get everything. (Unless you have 50K you want to throw down on energy upgrading).

Also speaking of "Upgrading"; who else let the Feldinaut wreck the town so you could  rebuild everything again? XD

...or on "evil" playthroughs shot down the new airship? >.> *raises hand* XD
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:55:49 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 04:38:25 AM »

Here’s how else you can help Capcom on Mega Man Legends 3.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 05:36:17 AM »

Dude...that's just scary. I'm all for a little fan involvement but this is taking it to a frightening extreme. Fanbases as a whole can be nightmare-ish things. Especially the Megaman fanbase. Has Inafune never looked once at Fanfiction.net? XP

I'm wondering if this is somehow a production cost cutter as well. Instead of hiring professionals for everything just outsource some of the design and creative work to a group of people willing to work for free. >>;

Edit: A few interesting tidbits I've picked out upon reviewing the Heroine contest.

First-
As you can see below, the nine different heroine designs take nine very different approaches, and the design you pick could have effects on her personality and other parts of the game. Needless to say, this is a major element of the game, so feel free to discuss the pros and cons of each option in the forum* before making your final selection.

So it's not going to be a preset personality regardless of design, apparently the design will determine the personality.

Second-
Something interesting mentioned on the 42nd page of comments, not sure what their sources is but this'll be interested if it's true.

Just a reminder: we are picking a rival-teams spotter, so it is a support role.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:06:31 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 07:42:13 PM »

Kitabayashi Video Interview.

The game's story is still in development; nothing is set in stone. However, Kitabayashi did confirm  the game will continue after the events of Legends 2; he promises we won't be left hanging. On a related note, Capcom is considering having fans that are writers come up with "episodes" for the game. (Episodes? First time we've heard about that...)
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 02:52:09 PM »

I would like to buy Mega Man Legends 1 & 2 but I hope they somehow release like a Mega Man Legends Collection on the PS3 or maybe release them both on the PSN at some point.

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 03:05:38 PM »

I doubt we'll see a collection, though this would probably fare better with an HD update than a lot of other PS1 games. PSN release seems more likely, or a collection on something else like the 3DS anyway.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 12:36:19 AM »

I hope Mega man Legends 3 is still gonna happen now :(

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: