Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 01:17:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340955 Posts in 13935 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  So what happened to Xseed?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: So what happened to Xseed?  (Read 3844 times)
ShiningHero

Lawlerabs

lightbreakerec@hotmail.com Blazeddc
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2006, 04:00:53 AM »

Don't tell me they are planning to go the way of WD. :| Their sites latest headline is

Thu May-04-2006
Wild ARMs 4 Survey and Voice-Over Out-Takes
ok...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 04:13:26 AM »

It is worrying they haven't said a thing at E3, but I don't think they'll go away that quickly - it /is/ run by Square USA's ex-president, so he's got plenty of experince.
Lost Fragment

polybius42
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 05:12:42 AM »

Well, Xseed is a PR firm as well as a publisher. I think they've had a lot of those types of projects recently.

They're not done bringing us games I'm certain.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 10:37:33 AM »

What did they publish so far, Shadow Hearts and WA4??? Neither sold that great...but I loved WA4...
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 01:33:07 AM »

I wouldn't count XSeed out just yet.  I think we knew that they weren't going to be this huge big seller on the level of the big companies based on the games they chose to bring over.  Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts were cult hits at best.  If nothing else, the two games should have done well enough for XSeed to break even.

Frankly, I'm counting on them to bring over Wild Arms: Vth Vanguard.  So they'd better be all right.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 01:35:42 AM »

Well, I consider the SH and WA series amongst the more popular RPG series - they're obviously not comparable to FF or many SE games/series, but I imagine they're still more popular than, say, MegaTen or Atelier Iris over here.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 11:17:38 AM »

Frankly, there are only very few (Japanese) RPG series capable of selling several hundred thousands or even million copies in the US and almost all of them are made by Square Enix. Just because an RPG from one of those smaller publishers (Atlus USA, NIS America, XSeed, etc.) does not sell 100,000 copies or more in the US, doesn't automatically mean it is a failure. I don't think you can realistically expect many installments of these smaller franchises like Atelier Iris or Shadow Hearts to sell 100,000 copies or more (per installment) in the US.

I guess, in that respect our coverage can be a bit deceptive. Since our coverage focuses so much on RPGs (leaving aside the adventures game which we do cover as well) and discussions on these boards obviously center around RPGs as well, one can get the impression that the genre has become a part of American gaming mainstream (just like in Japan). Since RPGs are in the Japanese news a lot, we obviously have a lot of information on them. Compare that to the RPG news coverage of say, GameSpot and you will notive a difference. Also, if you look at the RPGs that actually appear in the NPD Group's TOP20 monthly sales charts, what you will find is Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest (since Dragon Quest VIII at least), Star Ocean, Tales, possibly Suikoden, Grandia and a Sony Computer Entertainment published Level 5 offering. In Japan on the other hand Shin Megami Tensei, Xenosaga, Nippon Ichi Software's strategy offerings, WildARMS and the Atelier series can be considered part of gaming mainstream. Super Robot Taisen even is the flagship series for Banpresto and regularly sells more than 500,000 copies in Japan.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 12:30:59 PM »

I don't want to go off on a tangent...but I think shelf space has a lot to do with RPG sales. As they don't sell as well as sports games, they're removed from the shelves soon after release to make way for better selling games. Hell, I can't even find Shadow Hearts "3" anymore...
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 04:16:57 PM »

That room those RPGs would inhabit could be used for another shelf of preowned games.

It's disappointing to see the shelf space for new games continue to shrink over the years. Preowned FTW.

As for XSEED, I've noticed their company tied to some PR stuff with S-E. I'm sure they aren't out of localizing, but whatever games they might pursue might be outside their price range. Hint: I'd like to see Front Mission 5.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 04:51:54 PM »

I really don't like GameStop/EB's focus on pre-ordered - I liked it back when Babbages and EB were focused on selling new games, while Funcoland was nearly dedicated to used games, but now it seems like they're trying for a middle ground... But encroaching on Funcolands ratio of new/used, while focusing only on the current generation more often than not. Makes me wish/hope some new retailer focusing on games popped up, but as it is Fry's is now my favorite place for games.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 04:54:57 PM »

I'm really curious to see what happens to the game space when ps3/Wii hit stores....

Will nintendo get screwed again with 1 paltry shelf for new games in the back of gs/eb??
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 04:59:53 PM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
I'm really curious to see what happens to the game space when ps3/Wii hit stores....

Will nintendo get screwed again with 1 paltry shelf for new games in the back of gs/eb??

If the Wii is half as successful as game journalists/the internet would seem to imply it will be, I think the Wii will at least have more prominent space than before.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 05:05:19 PM »

At least for Nintendo's first party line-up there should be plenty of space.

Eusis: Then again, if the internet was even remotely correct with its predictions (if you can call them that), Sony Computer Entertainment would no longer exist.
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 09:58:26 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Fry's is now my favorite place for games.
Samw with me.  A Fry's just opened over a year ago, around 1.5 hours away from me.  Although it's a bit of a drive, I go there often because I can find many hard to find RPGs (and ones that would normally get released at EB/Gamestop only) for a good price.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 11:43:42 PM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
Eusis: Then again, if the internet was even remotely correct with its predictions (if you can call them that), Sony Computer Entertainment would no longer exist.

That's why I said 'if'. I do think Sony is in some trouble, but aren't going to be destroyed, nor am I fully sure that the Wii will be an amazing success. Think it's highly likely it'll perform better than the GC though.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: