Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 02:33:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
328020 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  1up's 101 Favorite Gaming Sites - look at who's on the front page!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 1up's 101 Favorite Gaming Sites - look at who's on the front page!  (Read 1993 times)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 10:49:06 AM »

Oh my god, how can I resist.

As usual, the Japanese geared product is more aesthetically pleasing than the western one.

I spent less than a minute at RPGWatch because it's so damn ugly.  That only adds to the 'mirror universe' statement.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:51:37 AM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 11:10:38 AM »

I don't know if it's just me, but I really hate it when any site uses white or any other light color as a primary one. It's like staring into a damn light bulb.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 11:12:18 AM »

I hope this doesn't start some sort of internet turf war.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 12:26:39 PM »

WHERE IS THE GAMING INTELLIGENCE AGENCY?

Also, RPGWatch, while it may be a fantastic web site, does have layout issues.  Pretty hideous front page, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

And, yeah, goatee = us.

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »

WHERE IS THE GAMING INTELLIGENCE AGENCY?
RIP GIA. :(

They were awesome. I remember when they shut down... they made it look like an April Fool's joke.

Funny story, I used to actually post on the RPGamer boards before the turn of the millennium. They were the same as our really old RPGBoards (which we used until what? 2001? 2002?) and they had just a few boards. Mostly for the Squee-er, Square games though - Xenogears, the FFs. I stuck to Xenogears mostly until it died.

And then I ended up here.. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 02:03:48 PM »

Liz, same history here, kinda.  And, yeah, that shutdown date was a cruel choice.  I remember checking almost a year later hoping it was, in fact, a joke.  NOT.

GIA was my first love.  Or maybe it was Icy Brian.  I don't remember.  Dragon's Den was around that time, as well, but I'm pretty sure it was after.  Then came the 'Fan!  I checked out RPGamer at the time, as a friend of mine said they were better, but I humbly disagreed and started becoming a regular reader here.

For those interested, Icy Brian just recently "officially" shut down his site.  Some stuff is still up, though.  Also, Dragon's Den is still going strong.  Hoorah!  If you haven't been to Dragon's Den and you're a Dragon Quest nut, I recommend going there.

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 02:13:18 PM »

+1 on RPGWatch being fugly.  And if Thoren abandons us for RPGWatch, then goodbye and good riddance I say!  There are other villages who need idiots. 

And it's hard for me to believe that I first started posting at RPGFan back in October 1999.  I remember my first post was asking about the Japanese to English name changes in FF6.  11 years later (6 of them spent on staff) and more drama than a soap opera later, I'm still addicted to the 'Fan. 

I dare say that my gaming life would have been vastly different were it not for RPGFan.  However, I loathe to think about that what-if: what if I hadn't stumbled onto RPGFan back in the day?

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 02:16:44 PM »

Yeah, I checked GIA for several months. Maybe a year? Believe me, a lot of us were in denial :(

I started going to RPGamer when they were still Unofficial Square something something. I inadvertently found RPGFan when some RPGamer posters introduced me to IRC where I found #rpgfan on the same server, and then the site. Back in 2000...

Shit, I feel old.

Edit: And yeah Neal, I totally get that. If I hadn't been a reader or an editor, I'd have missed out on a lot of friends (and to a lesser scale, a lot of games...)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 02:18:25 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 02:19:44 PM »

A good chunk of the GIA staff went to other places like 1up at least, for awhile anyway. Then there was that site that opened in their wake meant to be the successor, gameforms or whatever, but that was a catastrophic failure.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 02:24:30 PM »

I forgot about GameForms completely.

I knew a few of the GIA staff, and yeah, some went to 1Up or some other 'big' site, some just went freelance, JP did..something on his own I think? and a few just got out of gaming journalism entirely.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 02:25:53 PM »

I knew a few of the GIA staff, and yeah, some went to 1Up or some other 'big' site, some just went freelance, JP did..something on his own I think? and a few just got out of gaming journalism entirely.

Jeremy Parish? He's at 1up and has been for a few years, and his own site was listed on the final page of that list.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 02:28:53 PM »

Oh crap yeah. I've seen his name on 1Up, but I don't go there... like, ever, so I guess I forgot.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 09:58:39 AM »

You people HAD to mention GIA. I loved that site, and the forums over there. Good times. Like a lot of others, I kept checking over and over to see if they would come back. I was quite bummed.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: