Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 01:46:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327314 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals  (Read 3307 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2010, 11:52:26 PM »

So I breezed through this game in the last two days, and I gotta say I loved it. Shorter by leaps and bounds than the orginal title for SNES, but it held alot of the original story together doing so. I will say it's very different, but not enough to feel different. It felt as good as playing Lufia II so many years ago. It's fast oaced, the puzzles are not hard, but take a minute to figure out if you're looking (mostly break this, move that, jump here kinda stuff), and the voice acting is in short enough bursts that I'm not raging about the horrible DS sound for it. On that note, all of the orginal music is intact and kicks ass. If you have an acekard, fuck downloading it, go buy it anyway, support natsume, get a new Lufia game made like this. It's freaking win, I loved every second of it, and am planning my new game plus run tomorrow.

TASTY!
Hobbun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 08:34:06 AM »

Glad to hear that you liked it. I will admit I am surprised to hear they cut a lot of the of the game to make it so much shorter than the original, as the original Lufia II was pretty long.

I have already bought the game and plan to play it, although will admit I am still not happy how they have changed combat. What is wrong with tried and true turn-based?  The reasoning they gave on why it was changed was silly.

But again, I plan to play the game, so I'll give my true impressions then. However, hopefully if they make another one, it will go fully back to the franchises roots.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 08:39:39 AM »

I hate the characterization changes. The battle system feels a bit clunky to me, but I got used to it; still never found it as good as Lufia 2, although I did like it.

MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 09:16:26 AM »

Yeah, how dare they add modern improvements to an old-style game? Those fucking idiots.

Hehe

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Hobbun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 09:29:32 AM »

Yeah, how dare they add modern improvements to an old-style game? Those fucking idiots.

Hehe

If you are referring to the combat, turn-based is still very viable. To assume it is outdated just because it has been around a long time is, well, ignorant.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:35:26 AM by Hobbun » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 09:54:41 AM »

Hehe
That doesn't even apply here. Try this when it's actually relevant, not when you're trying to "get me." It just makes you look doubly stupid.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:56:20 AM by Leyviur » Logged

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 03:10:17 PM »

I'm mostly curious as to how Natsume's localization is.  Is it as flat as their other titles?
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 06:22:28 PM »

The other thing Natsume is best at is localizing Lufia games.

TASTY!
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 01:33:40 PM »

Hehe
That doesn't even apply here. Try this when it's actually relevant, not when you're trying to "get me." It just makes you look doubly stupid.

It doesn't apply? Are you slow or can you just not take a joke?

Fyi, I love turn based gameplay, but if that's what you came to this game for, play the original, it did it perfectly. This is another gameplay angle on the classic story with a more modern action style to it.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »

Hehe

If you are referring to the combat, turn-based is still very viable. To assume it is outdated just because it has been around a long time is, well, ignorant.

I prefer the new Maxim.  It may be pretentious, but I hated the 80's warrior look he had before.  Dekar's change was surprising, but I kinda grew to like it, seems somewhat appropraite.  Selene's, nothing drastically changed, but she's looking fine.  I HATED Tia's old design, the porcelain doll was really ugly, definitely trying too had for her 80's man (Max), I actually think her new design is cute, much more honest and relate-able at the very least than a pink dress and curls.

I heard the game is clunky, but I'm curious...Lufia II was awesome...and fucken long.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 10:12:23 PM »

What I dislike about the new designs is that they showcase something I dislike about character design from Japan in many cases, which is form over function. It's not that hard to have both.

Some people complain that Western design focus on function too much and end up making characters look generic. I agree to an extent, but a lot of times I have the exact opposite problem with Eastern designs.

Oh yeah, guess I should talk about this game...I haven't played much of it yet, but feels like a generic hack and slash with puzzles to mix up the fun. A solid game on its own, I just still don't understand the point of sticking the Lufia name on there if they were going to change damn near everything outside of character names.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 10:16:43 PM »

I need to play Lufia 2 (on the SNES) again, like, in the next few days.

This is just killing me with nostalgia.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »

It doesn't apply? Are you slow or can you just not take a joke?
it would be funny if it made sense within the context of my post, but it doesn't. Your passive aggessiveness does you no favors.

Anyway, the thing I dislike most is the change to characterization to fit anime conventions. Character designs I can get on board with, but the change to character personalities is boggling. Guy is a muscle brained, clumsy oaf; a big difference from the character who was insightful and could intelligently spar verbally with someone like Artea. Tia's jealous attitude is exaggerated to comical harem anime levels, whereas in the original it was nowhere near that bad. The only person who remained unchanged was Dekar, and he was one dimensional to start with. What I liked about the original was tha its characters felt sufficently human and real for a SNES game; this version feels like playing a generic anime cliche game - kind of like a poorly written Tales game. The fact that the took a step BACKWARDS in terms of character development boggles my mind.

Hobbun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 10:28:16 PM »

Fyi, I love turn based gameplay, but if that's what you came to this game for, play the original, it did it perfectly. This is another gameplay angle on the classic story with a more modern action style to it.

No, I didn't come to the game expecting turn-based, I heard long ago the developers had changed it. I just was very disappointed that they did change it and feel the reasoning they gave was silly, feeling that turnbased is too old and outdated.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 10:54:16 PM »

No, I didn't come to the game expecting turn-based, I heard long ago the developers had changed it. I just was very disappointed that they did change it and feel the reasoning they gave was silly, feeling that turnbased is too old and outdated.
I kind of have to agree though. Turn based combat is getting incredibly outdated unless you add something to spice the mix up. Atb, super moves, combo attacks with multiple characters, so on and so forth. If they had remade Lufia II with everything intact, then what was the point of a remake, or perhaps I should be more specific, a reimagining or reboot as has become the new term of choice. I'll apologize if my opinion strokes some the wrong way, but I feel this game was a perfect re-do. Music stayed the same, combat was fresh and invigorating, if a little basic and button mashy, and the story was well written. It was the same end result, just taking a different route to get there. This is what I would call the perfect answer to a nostalgia fix. It's like scratching at poison ivy or putting on some calamine lotion. Scratching it (playing the original) makes it go away right then and there...but it comes back eventually, and worse. The calamine lotion (remake) takes a little while to work its magic, but when it does...MAN it feels good. I loved every second of this game...even at the most horrendous of evil fucked up endings that you know you got when you win.

God I love this game.

TASTY!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: