Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 09:17:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340902 Posts in 13932 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals  (Read 3702 times)
Hobbun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 05:00:31 PM »

I kind of have to agree though. Turn based combat is getting incredibly outdated unless you add something to spice the mix up. Atb, super moves, combo attacks with multiple characters, so on and so forth. If they had remade Lufia II with everything intact, then what was the point of a remake, or perhaps I should be more specific, a reimagining or reboot as has become the new term of choice. I'll apologize if my opinion strokes some the wrong way, but I feel this game was a perfect re-do. Music stayed the same, combat was fresh and invigorating, if a little basic and button mashy, and the story was well written. It was the same end result, just taking a different route to get there. This is what I would call the perfect answer to a nostalgia fix. It's like scratching at poison ivy or putting on some calamine lotion. Scratching it (playing the original) makes it go away right then and there...but it comes back eventually, and worse. The calamine lotion (remake) takes a little while to work its magic, but when it does...MAN it feels good. I loved every second of this game...even at the most horrendous of evil fucked up endings that you know you got when you win.

God I love this game.

Well, to each their own, I suppose. I still find turn-based fun to play and is actually still my preferential battle system. And am disappointed how less and less we are seeing of it. For the most part, now it is action RPGs or a real-time and turn-based mix, like FF XII.  Which is why I became even more disappointed when I found out they were turning Lufia into another action-RPG.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 12:08:30 AM »

It doesn't apply? Are you slow or can you just not take a joke?
it would be funny if it made sense within the context of my post, but it doesn't. Your passive aggessiveness does you no favors.

Anyway, the thing I dislike most is the change to characterization to fit anime conventions. Character designs I can get on board with, but the change to character personalities is boggling. Guy is a muscle brained, clumsy oaf; a big difference from the character who was insightful and could intelligently spar verbally with someone like Artea. Tia's jealous attitude is exaggerated to comical harem anime levels, whereas in the original it was nowhere near that bad. The only person who remained unchanged was Dekar, and he was one dimensional to start with. What I liked about the original was tha its characters felt sufficently human and real for a SNES game; this version feels like playing a generic anime cliche game - kind of like a poorly written Tales game. The fact that the took a step BACKWARDS in terms of character development boggles my mind.

That's because Japan makes shitty things lately - no fault of the characters they're given poor writers haha.
I prefer these designs much more, I'm sad to hear the characterization suffers though.

I have to agree - never thought I'd say this, but I do find turn-based combat too slow and stale.
Hell, look, FF13 tried to speed it up, instead we get 3-5 weakened attacks and an auto-battle to keep-up.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 01:19:50 AM »

4 hours of endless smashing in the anceint cave, hit floor 90, epic music starts playing, and I FUCKING DIED TO A GODDAMNED UFO RAWR WTF SONUVABITCH!!!!!

I get to go back and do the whole damned thing all over again. God I am so pissed right now.

TASTY!
Tridius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 11:25:55 AM »

Whew finally completed the game. Didn't even know the dragon eggs existed till i found out where the location of the egg dragon was.

Code:
It was in the well in the first town in the well. Basically mostly likely you will have to trigger that event in order to obtain the eggs. Which is by beating certain bosses wthin a certain time limit. Which is how i got Dragon Egg 6, and 7 during the final battles on doom island.

Though what was more interesting is what happened after the ending.
SPOILERS!
Code:
Basically Iris and Arek talking and the Dual Blade appears and stops time sending iris backwards in time. Meaning if this is right. New Game Plus+ and the alternate ending.

Data will be saved If you continue, something will happen in Iris future.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 11:33:18 AM by Tridius » Logged
MereMare

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 05:28:24 AM »

I still haven't received my pre-order, thanks to the foul-up with Canada's french-language laws.

OBJECTION!
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 09:15:47 AM »

I still haven't received my pre-order, thanks to the foul-up with Canada's french-language laws.

Vive le Canadiens!!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: