Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 04:16:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334803 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Weird DNS problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Weird DNS problem  (Read 1828 times)
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2006, 01:08:30 PM »

'Ello RPFan. I've got somewhat of a strange problem.

Around 3-5 times a day, the DNS randomly puts out on my computer network (we have 2 computers and both do this at the same time) I know the internet is up because I can connect to my IRC server just fine (I use the static IP address), but I can't connect to any websites. In about 3-5 minutes, the DNS is back up.

What could be causing this problem? Is it my router or the ISP's fault?

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »

Have you called your ISP to ask them if there's any known problem on their end? That would be my first course of action.

If they say that everything is fine, then I'd try to connect only one computer to the internet, bypassing the router and plugging it straight into the cable/DSL modem or whatever you're using. If that works fine, then it'd seem likely that the router is at fault.

Also, you could try updating the firmware on your router. A lot of manufacturers provide firmwire updates on their website, and this might be a know problem with your brand and model that has been fixedsince the time you bought it.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 01:07:51 PM »

Dredging up an old topic here.

I did the router test for a day and a half, and I discovered it's most likely my router. I already did a firmware update so I figure my router is going buggy. I could hard reset it but it had issues about a month ago with 'software caused connection abort problems' I reset it then and to keep doing this every month or two is a pain in the ass, so my dad and I finally figure we need to upgrade our router.

Since wireless is pretty much standard, we're looking to buy a wireless router with switches in the back for wired computers. I'd like a router that shuts off wireless for now but eventually we'll probably get a wireless computer (I'm looking into buying a laptop in a few months time). I've heard that Buffalo, linksys, and D-link are pretty good choices. I'm also aware of that the cheaper router you buy, the more problems it'll have.

Convince me, 'fan, what is a good router to look for? I'm pretty much gonna be the one doing the research since my dad is more clueless than I am.

(Note: I have a linksys BEFSR41 v. 2 now, for your knowledge).

Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 01:22:27 PM »

From my experience pretty much all home user routers are crap. I've had 3Com, D-Link and Netgear routers, and all have suffered from serious bugs and problems. The 3Com one worked the best, I guess, but it was also the most expensive.

Another option would be to build your own router (take a cheap computer, stuff a wireless network card in it and install FreeBSD), but that's quite complicated and perhaps not a valid option.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 04:35:28 PM »

Okay, my dad went out and bought a Linksys Wireless-G router with speedboster. I dunno if it's what I would have gotten, but my other router UTTERLY died the night before and we couldn't get on the internet at all, so there wasn't a hell of a lot of time to research.

Now I'm looking for a wireless adapter. USB is preferred becuase I'm positive my dad'll never let me rip open his computer to tinker around in there. This adapter is more for my notebook though. I'm eventually gonna upgrade my notebook and then give my dad the USB adapter, but my notebook currently has USB 1.1. Any adapters you guys recommend?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: