Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 08:29:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327990 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Old RPG Player looking for New RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Old RPG Player looking for New RPGs  (Read 3716 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 12:56:32 PM »

I should point out that the PSP CAN hook up to your T.V. but only via component cables if it is for games. However, there was a device you could buy a long time ago that would allow you to connect to your T.V. through regular composite cables, but I haven't seen it in quite some time. It was basically a video camera-like device. I can't remember its name, but if you don't have a component cable-ready set in your house, you can try searching online for this, but I'll warn you, this was made back during the early days of the PSP (2005) and it did NOT catch on.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 12:58:30 PM »

Admittedly he already stated FFXIII and Valkyria Chronicles as games he's liked, and listed Demon's Souls as one he didn't like. Nier MIGHT be similar enough to the games he didn't like to not bother with, but it's an odd game definitely worth giving a chance if he can find it for cheap, and Atelier Rorona actually may be something he'd want to play.

Though this reminds me: Consider looking as the PS1 titles on the PSN in case there's any you missed. I can only think of Wild Arms 1 & 2 and Suikoden as being on the service, and since you didn't list Suikoden as one of the games you liked it's worth $6 to give it a shot (would've been better if this were brought up when it was $3). Then there's Arc the Lad 1 with 2 coming along if sales are good, and for $6 AtL1's not a bad purchase.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 02:14:09 PM by Eusis » Logged
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 02:11:01 PM »

I'll second what he said.  Wild arms is one of those classic games that has tons of charm, kinda like the Lunar games, so it aged very well in my opinion. 

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2010, 02:18:49 PM »

Wild Arms 2>Wild Arms 1.
Knight Blazer ftw.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 02:23:02 PM »

He DID list Wild Arms, I was just somewhat misleading with my post. But maybe he didn't play 2? In that case it's worth grabbing, especially if he ends up going for the PSP.
jrchang

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2010, 07:43:28 PM »

I never played Wild Arms 2. Wild Arms 1, however, will always have a special place for me, seeing as it was the first RPG I had ever played by myself (I was 6!). The credits that roll about 1/4 way through the game was like "whaaaaat?!" when I was a kid haha. Too many memories with that one.

To be fair though, (regarding games like Nier and whatnot), I didn't ignore the games in the PS2 era due to not liking them, but rather I was living in Asia at the time and I could not read japanese at all. If anything, that is when I stopped playing JRPGs.

Regardless, after some research I've decided that I'd probably want to get the DSi XL. The games I've read up for it feel a lot more personal (I'm not really a fan of today's Square Enix, though FFXIII admittedly did impress me).

HOWEVER, I'm still really intrigued by the War of the Lions (thats what it's called right? the FFT remake) in multiple ways. On one hand, I think it's kinda bleh that Squeenix recreated it and then got rid of some classic things like renaming moves (I am a big fan of Meliadoul's attacks). But I still feel like they may have added something more. Keep in mind that I DO have FFT from the PSN, and I have sunk a good 50+ hours into it already :-)
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 12:03:21 AM »

I never played Wild Arms 2. Wild Arms 1, however, will always have a special place for me, seeing as it was the first RPG I had ever played by myself (I was 6!). The credits that roll about 1/4 way through the game was like "whaaaaat?!" when I was a kid haha. Too many memories with that one.

haha! Yeah, Wild Arms was good stuff =D The first Playstation RPG that I liked (I think Beyond the Beyond was the first PS RPG I played, wasn't really impressed).  I remember being blown away by the fact that you could walk DIAGONALLY lol.  The credits trick was kinda cool too =D
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »

The DS stylus isn't mandatory for about 99% of the RPG's on the machine. I don't like using it myself, but I've never been forced to.

It is just mandatory for the best RPG on the DS, The World Ends with You. Other than this, I think any other doesn't need the stylus.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 05:24:34 PM »

I'd say that some like Etrian Odyssey effectively need it. At the least you need to fill in the maps occassionally, but beyond those scenarios you're begging to be endlessly lost in the dungeons by stubbornly ignoring it. That, and it's squandering the novelty of replicating the experience of using graph paper to map out dungeons, but using technology so I can save them onto my game and have all the other perks of technology make it better like showing where exactly I am or where FOEs (powerful special enemies) are.
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 10:56:14 PM »

haha! Yeah, Wild Arms was good stuff =D The first Playstation RPG that I liked (I think Beyond the Beyond was the first PS RPG I played, wasn't really impressed).  I remember being blown away by the fact that you could walk DIAGONALLY lol.  The credits trick was kinda cool too =D
That was my first PlayStation RPG too. Loved it actually. I really regret that I traded it in. Sure it was generic as hell, but it's totally just for the memories.

Oh, when I said Wild Arms in my previous post, I meant the series. I do think the second is superior to the first, but the first game is what helped me apreciate the second.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2010, 12:37:12 AM »

That was my first PlayStation RPG too. Loved it actually. I really regret that I traded it in. Sure it was generic as hell, but it's totally just for the memories.

Oh, when I said Wild Arms in my previous post, I meant the series. I do think the second is superior to the first, but the first game is what helped me apreciate the second.

Hm, I'll have to take Wild Arms 2 for a spin then.  I remember renting it when it came out and only playing it briefly. I think I was just young and turned my nose up at how different it was from the first one.  Come to think of it, I haven't played a Wild Arms game other than the first one.
Zadok83

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2010, 03:16:04 PM »

Hm, I'll have to take Wild Arms 2 for a spin then.  I remember renting it when it came out and only playing it briefly. I think I was just young and turned my nose up at how different it was from the first one.  Come to think of it, I haven't played a Wild Arms game other than the first one.
  Man, you're missing out!  I've played them all, but 4 and I thoroughly enjoyed them.  I'm a real sucker for their music, especially Michiko Naruke's.
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2010, 03:23:15 PM »

Man, you're missing out!  I've played them all, but 4 and I thoroughly enjoyed them.  I'm a real sucker for their music, especially Michiko Naruke's.

Sweet! More classic gems to discover =D  I don't know why I didn't follow the series, I really liked the first one.  My PS2 being busted for most of it's lifetime probably had something to do with it.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2010, 08:32:54 PM »

Yeah coming to this site and hearing about a ton of awesome RPGs I missed will probably mean the PS2 I had used only for DVDs for years will most likely get more use than my 360 in the next year or so. (reach being the only thing I play on that)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2010, 08:34:31 PM »

I hug and kiss my PS2 every night.

Okay, I don't but I do in my mind.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »