Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 12:14:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319082 Posts in 13032 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan's influence on your gaming life
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan's influence on your gaming life  (Read 3335 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2010, 02:18:43 PM »

In the thread about 1Up's top gaming sites, I realized something.  If I hadn't started posting on RPGFan back in 1999 (and summarily gotten addicted to the community and eventually became part of the staff) I strongly believe that my gaming life would be a LOT different than it is now. 

So how do you think RPGFan has influenced your gaming life and the choices you make in it?  How do you think your gaming life would differ if you hadn't found your way to RPGFan and the forums? 

I ask these questions because of the tight-knit nature of our community.  It has a je ne sais quois that keeps many of us coming back.  And because of the enduring nature of such a community, it has to have some influence on your gaming life, right? 

I can say for sure that my gaming life would be a LOT different if I hadn't started hanging out at RPGFan.

I approve of this nonsense!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 02:21:55 PM »

I think RPGFan itself isn't really a huge deal there, it was the Lunar Threads way back. But even then I wonder, it's not as if I was ignorant of other RPGs or anything. I was led there by Dragon Force, knew about the Lunar games, and I think I got Wild Arms before I actually found it. MAYBE it would've been significant for anime, but I think the trajectory was inevitable on a whole, if I didn't hear about something like Symphony of the Night there I would've either rented it or had my interest piqued by the comparisons to Super Metroid.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 02:35:59 PM by Eusis » Logged
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 02:31:21 PM »

I'm with you - I didn't used to play exclusively RPGs, and now I do.  My gaming time stays so full with games for the site that I very rarely play anything else now.  Heck, my wife bought me Assassin's Creed recently, and I couldn't get more than an hour into the game.  'Spose I feel guilty because I've got something I need to work on for the site.

That may make it sound like I'm bitter or something - I'm totally not.  I've learned about a lot of games and series that I really like thanks to the site. :)

I wonder if this is something that's almost exclusive to staffers.  After all, we're all volunteers - how many of us came on board because the site was influencing us?

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 02:38:32 PM »

Seeing as I just posted right after you, I started thinking about it too. Like I said, I'd have missed out on a lot of friends, especially having met a lot of the staff at various E3s over the years.

I'm glad I didn't stay at RPGamer. When I got to RPGFan, it wasn't due to the Lunar Threads or anything. But even then, it was a tight knit community. So it felt weird being hired on staff and being mostly a stranger to this community. Not that other RPG sites don't cover (for the most part) the games that we do, but I checked out a lot more non-Square stuff more closely after being on staff here and eventually proofing news.

There's also the fact that I didn't get into SMT until I went to E3 one year and played/crashed the Nocturne demo (and checked out Digital Devil Saga too).

And the fact that individuals on here introduced me to some titles I *might* not have given a try otherwise. (eg. Mike made me play Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Solid 1&2 really early in the PS2's lifespan.)

Our import coverage helped too. I kind of got into the habit of importing for a while due to the site - mostly Xenosaga and Fire Emblem before they came here.

Etc etc. :)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 06:53:16 PM »

I have had to review terrible games I would never normally have bought if I didn't work here. How's that for influence? :)

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 08:18:37 PM »

I never buy an RPG until I read a review on the 'Fan. That's the extent of its influence on my gaming life. I place a high value in the reviews on this website and really trust them.... hasn't really failed me yet, anyway.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 08:24:59 PM »

I never buy an RPG until I read a review on the 'Fan. That's the extent of its influence on my gaming life. I place a high value in the reviews on this website and really trust them.... hasn't really failed me yet, anyway.

Seconded.

Ask me again in a few more years, when I'm not so new. :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 08:42:15 PM »

RPGfan reviews remind me of that episode of the Simpsons where Homer becomes a food critic and everyone ends up becoming fat.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 09:39:40 PM »

Without RPGFan I would never have played games like Dragon Quest VIII or Breat of Fire: Dragon Quarter, great games that not much people appreciated. And also this site is one of the main reasons why I became more interested in game music.

So yeah, RPGFan please never change. :)

RPGfan reviews remind me of that episode of the Simpsons where Homer becomes a food critic and everyone ends up becoming fat.

That's like, every RPG gamer is bound to become sooner or later. You play and read so much about the genre that you become this massive pile of "useless" and interesting knowledge about RPGs.

But hey, we all love this games for some unknown reason. Because let be honest, RPGs are wierd games... and is even stranger that this genre has become so popular over the years. But like Squall said "Whatever..." this games are interesting to play and fun to discuss, and that's what matters in the end.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 09:50:32 PM »

I'd like to see this episode. :)

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 09:54:41 PM »

rpgfan has led me astray a few times most notably in the case of DQ8,but it did help me discover the smt meta series and the original shadow hearts.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 10:00:11 PM »

Well, reviewer tastes are not always going to match your own. Which is why we try to get second opinions on big titles. :)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 10:09:25 PM »

I probably wouldn't have done as much MMORPG playing if I hadn't stumbled upon this place.  Contrary to what some newer folks might think, we actually had a pretty close-knit MMO community here back before the big Horde/Alliance/PvE/PvP choice happened in the wake of WoW and split us all up. :P

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 10:38:46 PM »

I totally remember when I was 12 and used to read RPGfan reviews during study hall when I was in 6th grade.

I haven't really read a review here since then.

I'm pretty sure today is a lucid dream I can't wake up from but I don't really want to TEST this hypotheory.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 11:07:28 PM »

If you're gonna test it the Inception way then I agree, you really shouldn't. :P

Anyway, been thinking more about this thread. I've been visiting RPGFan on-and-off since I was about 13 or 14 (I'm 21 now) so it has sort of become my main source for RPG news. I just realized that I don't really visit any other gaming sites (except for IGN, to watch trailers for mostly non-RPG games). Games aren't as important to me as they used to be and I'd be completely lost if I didn't drop by the site's main page to see what's upcoming and new.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: