Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 07:08:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329733 Posts in 13517 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan's influence on your gaming life
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan's influence on your gaming life  (Read 3394 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 12:50:51 AM »

This site has been key since reviews for RPGs by RPG fans carry more weight than a general gaming site, where they have to review for a broad audience.

Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 04:36:03 AM »

RPGFan is my first site for clear honest reviews when it comes to JRPG,TRPG,WRPG,MMORPG and FPS/RPG.

The crew here(James Quentin Clark in particular) know the complexity and deep history of the RPG genre.I don't trust any mainstream site(IGN,Gamespot,EDGE) with my RPG reviews.

Thanks to RPGFan,I picked up White Knight Chronicles,Demons Souls,and Atelier Rorona.I have enjoyed each of those games

Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 07:38:22 AM »

RPGFan has been a big and important part of my life for over a decade now. I don't know how influential it's been in terms of my gaming; I buy what I want/can afford, although I have gotten some games to review that I otherwise wouldn't have played. I've gained important skills here, though, and RPGFan is actually a big part of my resume. And of course I made some great friends through here; Pat, Dennis, Neal, Mark who I've actually met in real life (heck, Dennis comes over almost every other weekend). And of course, got to go to E3 many times, which was boss. So yeah, good stuff.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 09:46:52 AM »

As I don't visit many gaming sites besides this one, it IS influential. To be honest, though, I read LOTS of reviews of a game I'm interested in. No way would I trust just one review, even from here. I've gotten to know the tastes of the different people here, and several do not jive with mine.
The boards are actually more important to me,than the site itself. I've learned about all sorts of games that I didn't even know existed, rpg or not.
Plus, I just love discussing things with like minded people. This is the only gaming forum I participate in. Heck, I've been around for a LONG time now(since around the inception or shortly thereafter). It can't help but be influential, if only in a small way.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:45:19 AM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 11:35:44 AM »

A majority of sites just don't 'get' how an RPG should be reviewed. That's why I'm here. So far the reviews have been spot on. I have purchased a couple of games I would have otherwise not have picked up and have found them to be exactly as stated.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 06:19:01 PM »

I like how this website doesn't so immediately "poo-poo" games, but bases them more individually and for whatever merit.  Reviews are honest (though when it comes to OST reviews, monsieur chief editor misses a lot of my favorite tracks [arbitrary complaint]) and cover a lot of ground.

RPGfan has without a doubt encouraged a few purchases of my own... but beyond that, I think the forum has changed me more than anything.  The people here are swell, and I love coming here for the actual discussion of games.  Some of RPGamer's forum was filled with a bunch of incest-bred retards, poor arguers, and riddled with fanboys.  At least here we debate before define.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 06:23:46 PM »

I use RPGFan because it has the fewest amount of letters to type into a searchbox, allowing me milliseconds of more time searching for cool rpgs to waste my money on.

... Also for the updates on anything Rune Factory related, which I've been taking of advantage of late. More Pics I need more Pics on the new RF game!

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 07:59:47 PM »

This is quite an interesting topic.  For myself, I've been more of a lurker than anything.  I think I've been posting more within the last year than in the totality of my time here at RPGFan, which still really isn't that much.  I've been here for a very long time as well.  I can't exactly remember the date but I know that it was when Dincrest was still going by Blademaster Dezo for instance.  I myself went by a different name.  Hmm...I would say it had a major impact on my gaming life since I got some serious exposure to a whole slew of games that I never knew existed, for instance most of the SNES rpgs since I really didn't start gaming until I got a PSX (And yes, my first RPG was FF7).  I know for sure I would never have touched the Phantasy Star series had I not come here.  Or the Lunar series.

What really boggles me though is that I STILL come here to the boards and the site and read news about games that I just can't play.  I had to sell all my game consoles and I'm way too broke to buy a new one.  I haven't touched a video game in maybe 2 years.  I guess deep down I still love RPGs too much....and I owe it all to you RPGFan.  *sheds single tear*
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »

I've gotta say, that's one thing I really like about gaming on my iPod Touch - I can get games for a few bucks.  If you get lucky, you might even find an 8 Gb 3rd Gen touch for about $50 on eBay.

(Also, I <3 freeappaday.com.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 09:26:43 PM »

I've gotta say, that's one thing I really like about gaming on my iPod Touch - I can get games for a few bucks.  If you get lucky, you might even find an 8 Gb 3rd Gen touch for about $50 on eBay.

(Also, I <3 freeappaday.com.)

I have an iPod Touch.  My momma gave me one for Christmas.  I don't think I could game on it.  I use it for music and internet while at school.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 10:10:44 PM »

I believe RPGFan gives accurate and in depth reviews of RPGs that most other sites just settle for a summary of why they hated the game and how it isn't like FF7. But, I think the importance of this site as a review site is becoming less important to me. I blame this on the lack of traditional/quality RPGs coming out, which RPGFan is so good at reviewing. WRPGs are properly reviewed by numerous other sites and the reason I was such a big fan of RPGFan is because they were my place to go when it came to obscure and less popular RPG reviews.

RPGFans influence on my gaming life is pretty minimal now. I still check the homepage for any news on hopefully an RPG that doesn't suck coming out. My tastes in game genres are broad and I often have no reason to check RPGFan because I know there is nothing of interest coming out. It also doesn't help that reviews of games take forever to come out here. The reviews are great and all, but there is no excuse posting a review 2-3 weeks after the game comes out. Well there are excuses, but I'm just saying it's annoying.

So RPGfan has a bigger impact on my gaming life when I was playing PS2 heavily (LUV Patrick Gann). Nowadays, it has like zero impact in my gaming life and decisions when it comes to purchasing games.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 11:16:41 PM »

I have an iPod Touch.  My momma gave me one for Christmas.  I don't think I could game on it.  I use it for music and internet while at school.

Well, I'd say try it out.  Plenty of good, free stuff out there, and if you don't like gaming on it, you can always keep using it for music. But if you do like it, it'll open up a whole new world of being able to game even while you're broke. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 01:57:14 AM »

My time on RPGFan has helped me to significantly cut back on my RPGing. Soon I will be free of a genre that's completely forgotten the entire point to it's original creation and all of the incessant circle-jerking, redundantly hamfisted anime PSAs, and stagnant 80's gameplay mechanics therein.

Code:
Additionally, I've finally learned how to make myself into an obnoxious troll and develop a few good ways to flame people. Thanks RPG Fan.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 02:34:41 PM »

You all have talked about more RPGs than I could ever play but I want to give it a shot.
Perley
Gunslinger Extraordinare

You feelin' lucky, punk

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 08:04:02 AM »

This is quite an interesting topic.  For myself, I've been more of a lurker than anything.  I think I've been posting more within the last year than in the totality of my time here at RPGFan, which still really isn't that much.  I've been here for a very long time as well.  I can't exactly remember the date but I know that it was when Dincrest was still going by Blademaster Dezo for instance.  I myself went by a different name.  Hmm...I would say it had a major impact on my gaming life since I got some serious exposure to a whole slew of games that I never knew existed, for instance most of the SNES rpgs since I really didn't start gaming until I got a PSX (And yes, my first RPG was FF7).  I know for sure I would never have touched the Phantasy Star series had I not come here.  Or the Lunar series.

What really boggles me though is that I STILL come here to the boards and the site and read news about games that I just can't play.  I had to sell all my game consoles and I'm way too broke to buy a new one.  I haven't touched a video game in maybe 2 years.  I guess deep down I still love RPGs too much....and I owe it all to you RPGFan.  *sheds single tear*

Wow that says it all pretty much for me.

I recently started playing a lot of D&D and that got me back into the RPG scene. I guess it's getting a lot like Grim's situation in which I have very little time to play RPGs much. Though I do want a hand held system because then I can just take it on the road and whip it out when I'm bored. Course I already have my iPhone though and school is fucking expensive, I just don't have the extra cash also. Though I do occasionally buy a PC game since I'm on my PC a lot anyways.

RPGfan has been with me since I used to go by RPGCowboy and the just Cowboy almost a decade ago (gosh it's been that long?). Funny how I can't really remember why I thought those were good names. But it's definitely influenced my RPG purchases since, yeah like Danku said, the Fan gives a better review on RPGs specifically.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: