Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 06:38:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319682 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fallout New Vegas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Fallout New Vegas  (Read 17810 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2010, 01:46:18 AM »

I'm not against companies trying to make money.  That's the way of capitalism.  That's the entire point of business.

I am against the way they are, er, exploiting their users.  Trying to hide negative reviews, making exclusive deals that screw over some of their customers (or most of their customers, if the PC market is still the largest for ES games, it's hard to tell nowadays).  Also, I feel the urge to mention it simply because it boggles my mind, but $2 horse pack!

I think what bothers me most is them trying to deny and/or hide the fact that their game can be a buggy mess by shutting down negative reviews.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 01:48:08 AM by Cyril » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2010, 02:29:49 AM »

It's the sign of a pragmatic adult. Some things you have to accept without agreeing with them.

Not talking about this case, but rather in general.

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2010, 03:55:27 AM »

Some of you are acting like the game is unplayable, it isn't. I could understand if you had to review the game and it was unplayable in some way, how that could be annoying. But, most of us are playing for enjoyment. If you find that it a game doesn't meet your "standards" then don't fucking play it.
I personally like NV better than Fallout 3, it's not perfect from a technical perspective, but I appreciate the content and the game design. Do I get fustrated? Yes. Do I bitch about how they are a crappy company blah blah? No.

Bitch bitch bitch, I swear, how old are some of you people?
=D
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2010, 04:22:42 AM »

=D
Don't be a douche. Just because a game is playable doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be dressed down if it deserves it. Obsidian has had a history of making buggy messes that hinder gameplay, why should anyone give them the benefit of the doubt when the clearly have not improved their quality standard? Corrupted save games and game ending bugs that lose hours of work should NOT be glossed over by a simple "quit bitching." FFXIV was panned for being unfinished at launch, there's no reason why Fallout NV shouldn't.

Maybe you can accept that there are some really fucked up glitches and bugs. That's great. More power to you. You don't get to bitch at other people for voicing their (completely understandable) complaints about the game.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2010, 06:05:29 AM »

I wasn't aware that I was complaining about the game.  But I absolutely agree with Leyviur.  If a game has flaws, you shouldn't pretend they're not there.  Even if you haven't encountered some of the bugs, the fact remains that they exist and other people have.

If I was to complain about the game, I'd whine about the physics engine somehow actually got worse in NV rather than better.  That annoying shaking of dead NPCs and random objects is back and worse than ever. Within the first three hours of play I had an entire shelf of ~10  books shake randomly while staying in their position as well as multiple times I've had everything in the building fly off of their shelves, counter, and table just when I enter a room.  That shaking was my number one pet peeve in F3 because not only was the sound annoying, but it's a complete immersion breaker.  
I also had an entire town of floating NPCs at one point

On a more positive note, skill magazines are great and extremely, extremely useful.  This is actually my favorite improvement so far.  That and "costumes." I'm also glad that there are more Encounters.  I haven't been using Wild Wasteland, so I can't really say how that is, unfortunately. Now that I've broken some 10 hours into the game, the problems become more noticable and the FPS drops/spikes have become more common.  I had very few problems within my first hour or two of the game, but once I left those opening areas, it's like the engine just stopped working as well.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:16:40 AM by Cyril » Logged
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2010, 07:56:34 AM »

Some of you are acting like the game is unplayable, it isn't. I could understand if you had to review the game and it was unplayable in some way, how that could be annoying. But, most of us are playing for enjoyment. If you find that it a game doesn't meet your "standards" then don't fucking play it.

=D

When did it become OK for a game to even HAVE bugs? That's my point.
Us old folks are used to PONG never crashing. Sorry kiddo.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2010, 08:03:15 AM »

When did it become OK for a game to even HAVE bugs? That's my point.
Us old folks are used to PONG never crashing. Sorry kiddo.

Play some computer RPGs, pretty much all of them have bugs, this isn't anything new. Fallout 2 in particular was one of the buggiest RPGs ever made. I'm not saying it's necessarily acceptable but it isn't some new trend.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 08:08:02 AM by DPB » Logged
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2010, 08:07:18 AM »

I would say when the autosave function is broken the game is unplayable.  When the first thing you see after the opening scene is a spinning Exorcist head, you have a buggy mess of a game.  Constant freezing and misfiring quest triggers also indicate a rushed product.  Fallout 3 had many bugs, but they never reached this level for me.  A 250 MB patch was just released last night, and the fps still drops like a mother when an NPC walks on your screen.  

The fact that people can't even express their opinions and views of a game without some troll bitching about their bitching shows the reason we have a complete lack of discourse when it comes to games.  If you can look past these issues, then that's great!  Hope you enjoy the game!  These issues are hindering my experience, and I would thank you to respect my frustration as an adult rather than accuse me of bitching like a petulant child.  
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2010, 08:13:45 AM »

Ar Tonelico 2 had a SINGLE bug.

Did I give NISA shit on its forum? Yes
Did I put a complaint to the consumer protection office of my country? Yes
Did they receive tons of those? Yes
Is Ar Tonelico 2 illegal to sell in Canada now? Yes

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/939100-ar-tonelico-ii-melody-of-metafalica/47929197

Sometimes, if you're tired of getting shit games, you have to take a stand.

EDIT: do I love AT2? Yes
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 09:52:43 AM by Annubis » Logged
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2010, 10:23:25 AM »

I personally like NV better than Fallout 3, it's not perfect from a technical perspective, but I appreciate the content and the game design. Do I get fustrated? Yes. Do I bitch about how they are a crappy company blah blah? No.

=D

I'm twenty-six years old.  Losing hours of gameplay due to crashes isn't fun.  Losing progress because I got stuck inside an invisible wall isn't fun.  Having the game's last boss bug out and drop out of combat isn't fun.  Watching my dog NPC and a Coyote run at each other for several minutes because there's a 2-foot-tall rock between them... okay, that's kind of fun.

The game is buggy.  It's Obsidian's calling card.  I think I said my point fairly well in my review of the game: Fallout: New Vegas is an unpolished gem.  It's a good game at its core, but there are lots of things wrong with it.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2010, 10:45:31 AM »

Would you guys recommend holding off for now on this one?
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2010, 10:47:37 AM »

Yes, at least half a year, from the sound of things.

Just hope they get a patch up ASAP. I preordered this because I loved Fallout 3 but it sounds like the issues are even more severe.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »

Would you guys recommend holding off for now on this one?

If you liked Fallout 3 or Oblivion, no.  This is absolutely worth playing.  It's got issues, but it's still probably going to make my game of the year list.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2010, 12:26:48 PM »

Sounds like if you're going to play it on PC, hold off, because it's more buggy than the console versions, but if you're a console guy, go for it!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2010, 01:06:51 PM »

As Keeper said, I don't have infinite time in my life anymore like when I was younger to restart a game due to a glitch or broken quest. It isn't fun. Especially now that the money I spend on games is 'real' money, and not just money I earned in high school to spend on junk, if I spend $60 on a game, I expect it to work correctly for the most part.

Dragon Age is another example of a buggy mess. Many people had no issues or didn't notice the bugs, but for those users who spent dozens of hours just to get locked out of a required quest have every right to be understandably pissed off.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: