Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 10:36:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341214 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fallout New Vegas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Fallout New Vegas  (Read 19312 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »

Bitch bitch bitch, I swear, how old are some of you people?
=D

Knock it off, at best by acting in that particular manner you're being just as bad as the people you're criticizing. At worst YOU are the one being the whiny brat, as is the case here where people really frustrated are having their enjoyment hampered constant crashes or save problems.

Anyways...

Would you guys recommend holding off for now on this one?

Actually, I'm going to inverse what John said and say wait anyway, depending on how much you want a good deal. Holiday season's coming along, so there'll probably at least be a $10 discount somewhere, and by that time maybe a patch will hit the console versions or, well, lots of patches on the PC. If you don't see a particularly good deal within a few months though or money's not a big deal then I can see this better gotten now though, especially if you want the restocked Collector's Edition at GameStop.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2010, 02:08:18 PM »

Glitches,glitches,everywhere I go.Watch out for the Legion camps near Hoover Dam.Tons of glitches there

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2010, 03:37:35 PM »

Yeah, im a pc guy when it comes to fallout so ill guess ill hold off till christmas (they'll release patches, im hoping). Was Dragon Age that buggy? I played through it twice before the second patch came out and never experienced any bugs (just that stupid empty loot one).
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2010, 04:06:14 PM »

Fallout NV is 30% more "glitchy" than Dragon Age.Quests go incomplete,NPCs run off to random directions,and Radscorpions get stuck on the ground.Its an utter nightmare,but I'm still addicted.AHHH!

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2010, 08:12:37 PM »

My friend couldn't get more than 5 FPS while the doctor was talking in the beginning.  I, however, have experienced framerates higher than in Fallout 3.  More than playable, but I'm still in the starting area.

My videocard is older than his.  I also read something about d3d9 being the DLL used in Fallout 3, and to fix your PC issues in New Vegas, you do something like this http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1123460-potential-fix-for-npc-slowdown/

I don't know why everyone is freaking out about malware... you can safely find that DLL from a million other places.

What I'm getting at is that this game probably works better with old hardware.  I have no problems, and am using a 7600 geforce.

update: disabling dual monitor functionality solved my friend's problem.  Whether the above fix was related is unknown at this time.

update2: apparently the old direct x didn't like his dual monitor configuration, so when he disabled that, old direct x was able to interface with new Fallout like ponytails in Avatar.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 08:56:13 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2010, 10:55:40 PM »

Yeah, I was getting huge frame rate drops with any character on screen (including my own!) until I used that fix. Now it's a solid 60fps indoors like it should be, instead of 20-40.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2010, 11:23:01 AM »

There's a letter from Beth. posted over at RPGwatch talking about the current game issues. Very stand up for a company to do this and gives me hope that all major issues will be fixed.

PC gamers already have a huge number of fixes, sucks to be a console gamer and wait on certifications.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2010, 06:21:50 PM »

360 patch has just arrived.Don't kid yourself though.Tons of glitches like "quicksand" are still around

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2010, 06:27:57 PM »

I haven't experienced any major bugs yet. But my only complaint is... the radio. I loved Three Dog, he was such a major part of the atmosphere of Fallout 3 for me, that not having him there just makes me sad. He was cool and edgy while being a really nice guy. Truth? Mr. New Vegas is just fuckin' weird. He's so sappy and love-happy that it's almost creepy. Instead of a radio announcer that you could laugh with, he's an announcer that you just have to laugh at... if what he said was even funny. Then there's the music. There seems to be less of it, because every ten minutes, I hear the same damn "Big Iron" song. And I hate country, this thing is just all 50s country, and it isn't even the funny kind. I understand... Washington DC was east coast, so you play New York style pop, and Nevada is Wild West so you play 50s Country, but it's grating. And not all of it is country, the stuff that isn't country is even worse ("It's a Sin").

What were they thinking when they picked the tunes for the soundtrack? Fallout 3 we had "Civilization", "Butcher Pete", Aretha Franklin, lots of good swing instrumentals. I felt so entrenched in 50s style pop tunes, that I've written a number of catchy 50s jingles for my TV advertisements! Seriously, Fallout 3 was a good music educational experience. WTF is NV doing for me? Nothing. It's about 4 songs over and over again, all of which SUCK. There's less newscasts too, so he sounds like a broken record.

I just wish they had magically transported Three Dog in from DC. I wouldn't even mind if they didn't explain it. Mr. New Vegas sucks. I'm shutting off the radio until I find a better station to listen to. Truth be told, I'd rather listen to President Edan.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »

Three Dog was fucking dumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO8KGGSRbMQ
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2010, 07:43:59 PM »

I kinda agree with Parn, I couldn't stand his voice and personality so much that I constantly just traveled around listening to my own music with the game's sound effects blasting.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2010, 09:04:56 PM »

Blasphemy.  3Dog and the Ink Spots made Fallout 3.

Sadly, the music and celebrity aren't as good this time around (although I like Big Iron, and the music is in the right vein) but the gameplay is much better.  I'm still early, but I feel like the good content is all around me.  Fallout 3's huge random exploration made me feel like I was gambling (vegas lawl irony) and I became desperate to find anything.  

I'm not sure if it's the faction system or what, but the characters feel throwaway, yet I am intrigued by what adventure they'll give me.  The whole feeling of the gameplay is better, for me.  Since I'm not desperate to find something to do, I feel like I actually have a choice when it comes to doing a sidequest or not.

Wild Wasteland... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8gAtTxWhUY   <---unrelated, fear no spoilers

edit:  Jingle Jangle is awesome.  Maybe I just like that New York pop better than country.  

edit2: Songs from Peace Thru Vandalism would have been nice additions to the playlist, but only if you had the Wild Wasteland perk.  Dammit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr7n_NLeJQE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td7nQOiBonM

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:28:21 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2010, 09:35:27 PM »

I'm just not going to touch this game until I hear most of it has been fixed. Either by Bethesta or NewVegasNexus =/
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2010, 09:54:24 PM »

Sadly, the music and celebrity aren't as good this time around (although I like Big Iron, and the music is in the right vein) but the gameplay is much better.  I'm still early, but I feel like the good content is all around me.  Fallout 3's huge random exploration made me feel like I was gambling (vegas lawl irony) and I became desperate to find anything.  

I'm not sure if it's the faction system or what, but the characters feel throwaway, yet I am intrigued by what adventure they'll give me.  The whole feeling of the gameplay is better, for me.  Since I'm not desperate to find something to do, I feel like I actually have a choice when it comes to doing a sidequest or not.

I actually liked the big bits of empty land in F3. In real life, you aren't going to find civilization every mile or half-mile or quarter-mile, especially in the west/mid-west. In that way, the game is rather unrealistic.  You can drive 50 miles down some of the smaller highways in Nevada and not see any buildings. Anyone who has driven from Reno to Vegas would know this.  Of course, this is a game and I can't expect that realism in an alternate reality, nor would I even want it.  It would make for an awfully boring game if it were like how Nevada really is.

Someone mentioned it before, but you are pretty much stuck in a line for the first few (or more) hours of the game.  You have to follow the roads, because the second you run off, you're going to hit something unpleasant.  Only once you hit level 10+ are you safer for exploring as long as you watch where you're going.  Even now that I'm 15 I feel confident that I can even kill a (single) Deathclaw without a problem, but there are places that have 6+ guarding the entrance and I know I'd get mauled if I even tried to enter them.

But at the same time I do like how much there is in NV.  Sometimes it feels like there's too much to do, and even too much choice.  During my first game I usually like to be one of those characters who wants to please everyone.  You simply can't do that in this game and you're going to make enemies if you do every single quest. This isn't a  bad thing, I'm not complaining about it, but it makes me have to rethink my actions on how I normally play a character.

Oh, and I agree about the music.  Every time I enter a building/house with a radio it feels like there's the same song on.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 10:01:06 PM by Cyril » Logged
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2010, 10:19:50 PM »

The radio does suck, I turned it off within 2 hours of playing.  Got tired of the music.  I don't think this game is supposed to feel 'to scale' of Nevada.  If anything, it feels like they tried to compress all that 'nothing' so that you -wouldn't- have to run for miles without finding anything.  I like this.  I also enjoy not having to go through subways to get to every god damn place I want to go.  It basically feels like the west side of the map is supposed to be fairly close to California.  East is close to Utah.  That's my interpretation anyways, from talking to the NPC's and listening to some of their backstory.

I'm 14 hours in, Lvl 12 and I've yet to even enter the strip.  There's just been way too many things for me to get sidetracked doing to bother opening up another huge area with a ton of shit to do.  The sidequests are just more fun to me too.  They just feel better, more interesting.  There also seems to be a lot more.  The dialogue is really awesome too, some of the stuff these people say is kind of racy.  It sucks that all the regular NPC's say the same stuff.  'Blah blah makes me wish there was a nuclear winter' - I'm sure you've all heard that atleast 10 times.  I haven't had any glitches so far, aside from the game freezing twice now 12 hours in.  I've had 2 enemies fall through the ground, only 1 made me have to reset the game since I had to kill the enemy for a quest.  Both times it was a radscorpion falling through the sand.  I just make sure I save a lot, on top of having quick saves enabled.  I haven't lost any significant progress yet, knock on wood.

I'm also loving how many options you have as far as companions go, before entering the strip I've already found 4 or 5 companions that I can switch between.  I also have a 3rd companion with me at all times, which freaked me out at first because I figuerd this would make me succeptible to many glitches but so far, nothin'.  Whenever I dismiss them I can always find them in the place I originally recruited them.  It seems to me that there's a vocal minority that is making it seem like this game is far more buggy then it really is.  Maybe I'm just lucky..

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: