Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 03:29:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327871 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fallout New Vegas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Fallout New Vegas  (Read 18299 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2010, 11:34:27 PM »

I crashed 15 minutes in... you tell me =/
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2010, 11:52:35 PM »

Thank God I'm not the only who's feeling crushed by the forced linearity of the game.  I'm three hours in (level 6) and I feel like if I step off of a main road for even a second I'm going to get killed.  I've run into a few Giant Radscorpians, Glowing Ones, and even a fucking Super Mutant Master all within a few feet of territories I was required to go to at the start of the game.  Maybe the developers wanted to keep the player focused for the first few hours of the game, or perhaps they wanted to increase the overall difficulty, but I miss being able to travel wherever I want.  Fighting a SMM this early and not being able to do any damage to it is not my idea of fun. 
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2010, 01:54:55 AM »

I know someone who felt like the open ended-ness of FO3 caused them too many problems, as they wound up getting lost or wandering somewhere they shouldn't. Maybe NV's playstyle is because of that.

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2010, 02:40:11 AM »

I'm not really feeling much forced linearity, I'm now 16 hours in and I've yet to complete the 2nd storyline quest.  Granted I didn't try to run to the corners of the map directly from the start of the game, but that's not really my style.  The west side of the map seems to have lot harder enemies then anywhere else I've explored so far.  There are definitely certain areas you're not supposed to go to for awhile.  Just like Fallout 3, the beginning has been the hardest part of the game so far.  At this point I've got more money then I can really bother to spend and I still have atleast 10 unfinished quests to do with plenty more to be found in places I've yet to even begin exploring.  Unless you guys want absolutely no linearity whatsoever, I don't really know what more you could want.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2010, 03:57:18 AM »

They might actually be trying to replicate the way Fallout 1/2 worked, where going the opposite direction of where you're supposed to right off the bat in Fallout 1 would throw you at Super Mutants who'd tear you to pieces easily.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2010, 05:18:06 AM »

They might actually be trying to replicate the way Fallout 1/2 worked, where going the opposite direction of where you're supposed to right off the bat in Fallout 1 would throw you at Super Mutants who'd tear you to pieces easily.

This is exactly what happens.  Within 30 minutes of starting the game I was exploring and chose to run north of the first city because I wanted to see what the "little white triangle" was.  I got mauled by three Giant Radscorpions.   On the way to Novac (the third town, so to speak, despite actually being the fourth), for example, there's a cave with multiple Deathclaws guarding it.

There is definitely a line you're supposed to follow.  You can explore off the line a bit, but go too far and you'll be eaten. If you do enough exploring you can survive a farther distance from the "road." You can start encountering Golden Geckos if you head too far south of the second town.  At that level, they're going to be very hard to kill.  I just hit level 20 with 100 locations found (I've only cleared the first set of events at the Strip) and I still am cautious about exploring certain areas, such as Black Mountain and the road north from Goodsprings to Vegas. Now, though, I'm strong enough to survive in most places for at least multiple hits and I'll know if I'm going the wrong way.  The worst "normal" enemies are the new flies.  They hit hard.

I encountered my first really weird glitch, too.  While exploring Vault 22 (which is really cool, but not creepy) there's an elevator you can repair.  I did so. I had my followers on "Wait" in my hotel room house.  But when I went down the elevator, they are instantly transported to me.  I've been able to replicate this multiple times, so it's definitely not a one-time thing.

Oh, and just in case people are perfectionists, let me give you some advice - no spoilers attached (in bold because it's important):
Do not speak with Ranger Andy in Novac until you've finished a certain NCR quest called "Return to Sender" if you're trying for as much completion as you can get.  Doing so will make the quest impossible to finish.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:20:07 AM by Cyril » Logged
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2010, 09:43:10 AM »

Funny, I've actually gotten the impression that "staying on the line" gets you killed. I find myself avoiding the road and taking shortcuts across open terrain because every other time I follow the highway as suggested I get slaughtered. Either by a horde of Jackal Gang members or some random beast. Not to mention some of the "main" quests seem impossible without practically cheating. I died several times trying to get to the REPPCON facility due to a stupid, solitary Glowing-One placed right in the middle of the highway I needed to clear out. I finally killed it after over half a dozen tries thanks to an Incinerator and some lucky critical hits.

And don't even get me started on the Nightkin under REPPCON...ugh. I finally had to pop Stealth Boys like Stimpacks and play a game of "save after every kill" almost like I was trying to save-state a speedrun. Only reason those would even die is I hard-killed the first one then used Stealth + Rebarb o Doom to Two-Hit KO every other one in the entire building. I don't expect to beat the game guns blazing but it almost feels like I have to cheat to kill anything "tougher" than a Powder Ganger. And don't get me started on the NCR Prison. ~.~;
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2010, 01:12:16 PM »

And don't even get me started on the Nightkin under REPPCON...ugh. I finally had to pop Stealth Boys like Stimpacks and play a game of "save after every kill" almost like I was trying to save-state a speedrun. Only reason those would even die is I hard-killed the first one then used Stealth + Rebarb o Doom to Two-Hit KO every other one in the entire building. I don't expect to beat the game guns blazing but it almost feels like I have to cheat to kill anything "tougher" than a Powder Ganger. And don't get me started on the NCR Prison. ~.~;

You don't have to fight those Nightkin, just so you know.  Why are you guys getting raped by Radscorpions?  I'm curious what everybody specced their points into, cause I went for a fairly decent amount in guns and the only thing I had a hard time killing early on was robots.  But if a radscorpion is rocking you 2 hours into the game, your character is probably better made for avoiding conflict.  I will second the Cazador flies or whatever being the hardest hitting enemy I've run into thus far.  I'm wondering if people just expect the game to play as Fallout 3 and didn't bother reading about Damage Threshhold and DAM/DPS.  Also, there's plenty of companions to be found within 10 minutes of the first town with basically no requirements to recruit them, maybe a quest or two.  I can name 2 female companions who use Fist weapons and are absolute beasts when it comes to taking hits.  At the start I would die in 3-4 hits if I ran into stronger enemies, but once I bought some armor with a decent amount of DT/DR on it I found myself living twice as long.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2010, 03:13:53 PM »

About 4 hours in, At Novac. Haven't had much trouble at all. In fact, I was much worse off in Fallout 3 at this time (one point I had to sacrifice 6 hours of gameplay because I saved at the wrong place in the middle of a SuperMutant Compound). I've maybe died twice. I've stayed on the road for the most part though. Really don't know what everyone's talking about. Radscorpians aren't hard. I've been hurt more by angry Bighorners. Just run backwords forever and shoot them in the face.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2010, 03:39:09 PM »

Why are you guys getting raped by Radscorpions?  I'm curious what everybody specced their points into, cause I went for a fairly decent amount in guns and the only thing I had a hard time killing early on was robots.  But if a radscorpion is rocking you 2 hours into the game, your character is probably better made for avoiding conflict.  I will second the Cazador flies or whatever being the hardest hitting enemy I've run into thus far.  I'm wondering if people just expect the game to play as Fallout 3 and didn't bother reading about Damage Threshhold and DAM/DPS.  Also, there's plenty of companions to be found within 10 minutes of the first town with basically no requirements to recruit them, maybe a quest or two.  I can name 2 female companions who use Fist weapons and are absolute beasts when it comes to taking hits.  At the start I would die in 3-4 hits if I ran into stronger enemies, but once I bought some armor with a decent amount of DT/DR on it I found myself living twice as long.

Giant Radscorpions. Not Radscorpions.  Radscorpions are easy.  Giant Radscorpions will kill you in 1-2 hits at level 1.  There are also three more Giant Radscorpions protecting a skillbook in a camp north of the NCR's Mojave HQ.  There's a big, big difference between the two.  That's like saying a normal Radscorpion in F3 is comparable to an Albino Radscorpion.

I don't really like playing with Followers.  In some areas they completely ruin the atmosphere for me. Walking through a Vault with 2 people following you isn't nearly as creepy as walking alone.  Sure, they make the game easier, especially since my character isn't built for fighting, but it just isn't as fun for me.  I also appreciate the challenge.  I think it gets too easy with followers.

Oh and quick-tip for everyone: If you're using followers, be careful with Boone, as he can butcher your reputation with the Legion if you're trying to stay good/neutral with them.  Even if you're on neutral terms with them, he'll go kill them if they're just walking by in the wilderness. He hates them, so he will shoot-first-ask-questions-later, and what he does affects your relationship with them. Boone is really strong, but I won't use him because of this.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2010, 04:59:35 PM »

Everything kills you in 1-2 hits at level 1.  What are you spec'd?  And are you one of those people that likes to 'roleplay' the game instead of treating it like a video game?  Because if that's the case then our experience with the game is going to be completely different.  As Prime (lol I said Mesh..) said, just run backwards and shoot it in the face.  Unless you're roleplaying a Warrior with low str who never runs from enemies... :P

Edit : I'm gonna agree with Prime here too, Fallout 3 was literally raping my face at the beginning.  I remember running from Super Mutants with Rocket Launchers only to get mauled to death by fish people trying to swim away.

Edit 2:  Just a general question for everybody, what did you guys put your SPECIAL points in and what are you focusing skill points into?  I mostly went for AGI/LUCK/INT and kept my STR at 5.  I'm low CHR, but I made that up by going with Speech.  I've got Guns, Speech, Lockpick and Science all up near 50-60.  I'm really happy that the way you build your character has a much bigger effect on what happens in the game.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:06:28 PM by Masamune » Logged

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2010, 05:15:11 PM »

Everything kills you in 1-2 hits at level 1.  What are you spec'd?  And are you one of those people that likes to 'roleplay' the game instead of treating it like a video game?  Because if that's the case then our experience with the game is going to be completely different.  As Prime (lol I said Mesh..) said, just run backwards and shoot it in the face.  Unless you're roleplaying a Warrior with low str who never runs from enemies... :P
the game.

Funny, it really is like we're playing a completely different game, except I'm not really Role Playing. I actually go for a more balanced build with a focus on INT. I don't really remember my base stats since I've modified them with both perks and implants, but my lowest stat was 4 AGI.  Strength and Endurance were at 6 and Intelligence was at 8.   INT gives you more skillpoints when you level up, and for me that's very important.  Plus you get that perk that gives you 2 extra and by the time you hit 30 you get 100+ extra skillpoints than if you went at 5 INT and no perk.

Anyway, about running and shooting, you don't think I tried that strategy?  Their DT is too high to damage them with the weapons you have at the beginning of the game. Let alone, if it did work, I wouldn't have enough ammo to kill them. Besides that, I also use a melee build.  Later on, melee/unarmed builds are ridiculously broken (ignore 15 DT from everything!) and I'm regretting it.  When I play again I'm going to use a more gun based build, they're more balanced.

But what's wrong with people who Roleplay?  It's a different, even more consistent, way of playing the game.  I don't really do it myself, but I think it's a perfectly valid way to play.

EDIT: Very late edit, but about my above comment on Charlie and the NRC quest up there.  Apparently mine glitched and some (not all) people are able to get it to complete if you do the scenes with Ranger Andy.  Other people (including myself and my friend) get locked out of finishing the quest.  So if you want to completely avoid the problem, do the NCR quest first.  You can also risk it and possibly encounter a bug later on in the quest.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 06:47:51 AM by Cyril » Logged
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2010, 10:48:32 AM »

I didn't know Mr. New Vegas was Wayne Newton.  If I had learned that 3Dog was Denzel Washington, I'd have eaten that up.  In retrospect, my expectations for Mr. New Vegas should have been higher.  This raises my disappointment stat.

What am I saying?  wow.

So far, my favorite line from Mr. New Vegas is "I love you."
---
I went with a melee build, and still I pump points into Guns when I level up.  Stupid WRPG's and their freedom... freedom to fuck myself up.  It's working out for me though.  Fallout Online will be a beast and a half (don't pretend it won't happen) <--edit: I'm an asshole http://www.fallout-on-line.com/

I love this fucking game.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:51:28 AM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2010, 12:08:29 PM »

I took the Wacky Wilderness trait at the start of the game - just ran across a refrigerator on the side of the road.  Door blown off, skeleton inside, wearing a beat up fedora. :D

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2010, 02:00:59 PM »

Just passed the 40 hour line(Yeah I know,shut up) and made some mistakes...

I accidentally started up a glitch after I talked to Mr House.Now I cannot find boone and ED-E anywhere.???

I killed the 2 main Deathclaws at Quarry Junction.However the little side quest isn't labeled as complete.Ouch.

The mission with working at the Van Graff Energy Weapon Store can no longer be completed.Some glitch with Cass won't allow me to move forward.

Anyway,I still love the game and have explored 85% of New Vegas including the strip.

Its 10% smaller than Fallout 3 but there are more NPCs and towns in FalloutNV.Also tons of new guns and items to keep things interesting.

Tip:Go to RepconnHQ 3rd Floor and recover a holotape,then go to Hidden Valley-Very Hard Lock.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: