Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 05:58:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329390 Posts in 13492 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fallout New Vegas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Fallout New Vegas  (Read 18410 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2010, 05:38:17 PM »

You guys have got to be kidding me, 3dog was one of the best things in fallout 3, after all those hours playing the game I never got tired of him. The music was addicting, whenever I hear one of those tracks I can see the game right in front of me.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2010, 06:18:39 PM »

I loved the radio in Fallout 3..."chomping that meat!"

Anyway, is this game still easy to become stupid powerful like in it's predecessor?

I only did maybe 2 story line quests and explored ~50% of the world yet was in the mid 20's and could destroy everything and had endless supplies of ammo and weapons. Didn't see much point in continuing the game as it was just too easy.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2010, 08:36:29 PM »

So far at least in my play-through; yes but not because you personally are powerful. It's the companion. There's a weird "no grey area" balancing system in this game. Without my companion I'd find several of these quests impossible because the monsters take so many freaking hits to kill (High Perception, Energy Weapons, using Plasma gear and I still can't shoot down anything that's in decent armor in less than 8+ hits). Yet I just picked up Victoria out of the 188 Trading Post and suddenly the game's super easy. Anything except the hardest enemies she kills in 1-2 hits. And what she can't auto-kill she'll beat down anyway because I gave her some Power Armor I picked up. So now I'm walking around with an immortal, heavy-plated death goddess with my only purpose being to soften up enemies for her.

It's odd yet very satisfying; but definitely qualifies as "too easy".
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »

So far at least in my play-through; yes but not because you personally are powerful. It's the companion. There's a weird "no grey area" balancing system in this game. Without my companion I'd find several of these quests impossible because the monsters take so many freaking hits to kill (High Perception, Energy Weapons, using Plasma gear and I still can't shoot down anything that's in decent armor in less than 8+ hits). Yet I just picked up Victoria out of the 188 Trading Post and suddenly the game's super easy. Anything except the hardest enemies she kills in 1-2 hits. And what she can't auto-kill she'll beat down anyway because I gave her some Power Armor I picked up. So now I'm walking around with an immortal, heavy-plated death goddess with my only purpose being to soften up enemies for her.

It's odd yet very satisfying; but definitely qualifies as "too easy".

Other than the fact that they ruin the atmosphere for me, this is another reason why I don't use companions.  They're way too strong and your only job ends up is to be the tank and make sure they don't get hit by attacks.  If you don't do this, they die very quickly.

Though, on the other hand, I recently  got the weapon called "Love and Hate" (unique Unarmed weapon) and have all of the "good" perks for Unarmed/Melee, as well as the one that increases damage 50% to wasteland creatures, and I killed the Lakelurk King in about 3-4 hits. Unarmed is ridiculously broken in this game, and it shows with Veronica, as well.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:50:10 PM by Cyril » Logged
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2010, 11:59:37 PM »

Veronica is pretty nasty.  She's making the game much easier, but I kinda miss being able to survive on my own.  This certainly takes me back to the original Fallout where a companion made a huge difference. 
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »

Why don't you guys turn the difficulty up?  Or maybe play Hardcore mode where your companion really dies, instead of going unconscious.  I dunno, I don't think the game is 'too easy', it's just really easy to make it too easy.  I think it's the opposite Cyril, once you give Veronica some power armor and do her sidequest you can choose to give her a Defense bonus perk, so she's basically the tank and you just pick off the stuff she can't handle.  Don't forget you can have 3 companions as well, as long as your third is Rex or ED-E.  I haven't used Boone yet, but from what I've heard he basically kills everything in sight before you can even really see it.  That sounds like too easy.

I think my next play through is going to be on Hardcore and I will mostly focus on storyline missions.  After that I might try an Unarmed/Melee/TotalDoucheBag playthru.  I dunno, we'll see if Fable 3 holds my attention long enough to get me to quit playing this game.  Definitely my Game of the Year so far. 

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2010, 09:20:51 AM »

Why don't you guys turn the difficulty up?  Or maybe play Hardcore mode where your companion really dies, instead of going unconscious.  I dunno, I don't think the game is 'too easy', it's just really easy to make it too easy.  I think it's the opposite Cyril, once you give Veronica some power armor and do her sidequest you can choose to give her a Defense bonus perk, so she's basically the tank and you just pick off the stuff she can't handle.  Don't forget you can have 3 companions as well, as long as your third is Rex or ED-E.  I haven't used Boone yet, but from what I've heard he basically kills everything in sight before you can even really see it.  That sounds like too easy.

I think my next play through is going to be on Hardcore and I will mostly focus on storyline missions.  After that I might try an Unarmed/Melee/TotalDoucheBag playthru.  I dunno, we'll see if Fable 3 holds my attention long enough to get me to quit playing this game.  Definitely my Game of the Year so far. 

Has anyone played hardcore mode yet? Depending on how they balanced it, it could just turn out to be very annoying with having to eat etc.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2010, 09:29:23 AM »

I know at least one person highly appreciates it, but he modded FO3 pretty heavily. Still, it's nice to have an official option rather than depending on mods I'd think, especially as he cited better integration.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2010, 11:13:32 AM »

I like some of the things added by it, namely that you can't spam stimpacks and heal your character instantly, but having to eat and drink seems like a chore to me. I'll probably still be using it though, I've barely started the game yet since I keep restarting because I'm never happy with my character creation choices.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2010, 01:05:06 PM »

Hate to break it to ya, but the word is "Chopping that meat". It's about a psychopathic butcher, not a cannibal, he loves to cut things up.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2010, 01:08:02 PM »

That's why I play 2 games.
The first one is to learn how to make the character I'll like. (stats, gear, quests results)
Second game is doing that.

BTW, I started playing again with some NewVegasNexus fixes... but I still crash about every ~2 hour... what are you guys running this on?
ATI HD4770
XP 32 bits
dual 2.6k
2 gig ram
1920x1200 full screen
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 03:01:52 PM by Annubis » Logged
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »

Hate to break it to ya, but the word is "Chopping that meat". It's about a psychopathic butcher, not a cannibal, he loves to cut things up.

Knew it was one or the other, couldn't remember which...:) Either way, I knew it was about a psycho murderer.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2010, 02:55:39 PM »

meat is murder haha.. hehe

Geforce7600
dualcore 5300 pentium
4 ram gags
no pen and touch display is available for this rig

Turn this record over, shit.

This game is ruining my life.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2010, 05:27:01 PM »

Has anyone played hardcore mode yet? Depending on how they balanced it, it could just turn out to be very annoying with having to eat etc.

Eating,sleeping,drinking and Rad control don't really stand out as annoying in Hardcore mode.What really irritates me is the need for Stimpaks and Doctor bags.I run out every two or three times I go outside into the wastes.I am a decent shot with sniper and my melee stats are high but almost every enemy can sneak up on you and cripple your limbs.I'm at Quarry Junction right now and the Deathclaws there are relentless,breaking my arms with one hit,killing me with 3.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2010, 05:34:11 PM »

You don't melee deathclaws, you shotgun them in the face! =)

EDIT: BTW, I love the new shotgun surgeon perk *thumbs up*
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: