Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 04:40:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340860 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fallout New Vegas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Fallout New Vegas  (Read 19271 times)
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2010, 07:35:19 PM »

Hmmm, maybe I could go get the GECK and see if I could turn every DT into DR.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2010, 07:44:57 PM »

I seriously don't think there's anything that hits that hard in the game.

You're right.  Even the strongest enemies in the game (Legendary Deathclaws) don't do straight damage, but ignore DT all together.  I was wearing Combat Armor Mark 2 (the one you find in a huge pile of Cazadores) for most of my second game with two Toughness Perks and that was more than enough.  I didn't even get the implant.

Also, melee/unarmed has a constant 15 points ignore DT perk if it's really hurting. That or you're stuck with Shotguns and special ammunition.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »

My one student is playing through the game again as a melee character, and he's having a super-easy time.  Seems like they forgot to balance the damn game before release.  I'm honestly tired of playing at the thirteen hour mark because I hate shooting something and doing practically no damage (even with AP rounds).
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2010, 08:19:26 PM »

My one student is playing through the game again as a melee character, and he's having a super-easy time.  Seems like they forgot to balance the damn game before release.  I'm honestly tired of playing at the thirteen hour mark because I hate shooting something and doing practically no damage (even with AP rounds).

I couldn't play Fallout 2 for similar reasons.  It was just too hard.

Shooting outside of VATS doesn't cost AP, so don't stop shooting once the cinema sequence ends.  I had a tendency to do that.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2010, 08:36:34 PM »

There is no making any of you guys happy.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2010, 08:48:11 PM »

Everybody ignore the troll.  He's more afraid of you than you are of him!
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: November 05, 2010, 08:53:27 PM »

I can't imagine how stupidly hard the game must be using energy weapons. Until you have every single perk for it, the damage must be pitiful...
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 05, 2010, 09:01:03 PM »

I made the mistake of dumping points into energy weapons, and I feel like my character is completely broken as a result.  I might have to start all over to put points into melee and see where that takes me.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 05, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »

Look, these people are playing the game and fielding what sound like legitimate complaints. If you're going to make quips like that you could at least make a solid argument for why it's not really an issue rather than just make condescending statements.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 05, 2010, 10:40:13 PM »

Deathclaw's can suck it:((   They weren't this tough in Fallout 3.

I really miss the craftable weapons from Fallout 3.  The dart gun was my most valuable weapon against deathclaws.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: November 05, 2010, 11:04:35 PM »

I honestly think Explosives have it worse than Energy Weapons.  Until you're at high levels, there's simply no great explosive weapons. Then you get Mercy (I don't want to spoil what this is before you get it, but it's amazingly funny) once you can beat the Legendary Deathclaw, and you get a Fat Man.  But other than that, they all have their use, but I see no reason to use them most of the time.  They're more of a secondary weapon than a main weapon or a weapon just for messing around.

C4s have a nice, practical use, but they're rare and expensive.

Not to mention if you're on Hardcore mode Explosives weigh too much to carry around for any long period of time.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 05, 2010, 11:24:29 PM »

I feel like an idiot pumping my Energy Weapons skill up to 50.  Should I just go back and max out melee at this point?  I have, like, 80 in guns, and I don't really have anything powerful enough to put a dent in a Super Mutant Master at this point.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: November 05, 2010, 11:32:54 PM »

Nah, guns have one of  the most broken weapons in the game: The Anti-Material Rifle.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Anti-Material_Rifle

Get yourself one of those and use it on the strong enemies and you'll be fine.  Some people have been able to one hit the Legendary Deathclaw with it, but you have to have a rather specific build and be sneaking to do it..  It took my (level 27) Unarmed/Melee character about 6 hits in VATS to kill him, with drugs that increased my damage and strength as well as the Better Critical Perk and other Perks that increased my damage.

I'm not sure what level you are, but I didn't go to Black Mountain until around level 20 in  my first game.  My second game was an optimized build and was able to do it sooner.

Oh, and tip for everyone just starting: Jury Rigging is the best perk in the game.  Period. It's absolutely worth it to get your Repair to 90 by level 14.  Even if you're using the trick on male characters to get free repairs, you can't do that in the middle of a dungeon and Jury Rigging has its uses.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 11:34:27 PM by Cyril » Logged
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2010, 12:12:17 AM »

Anti-material rifle is nice but it has crit x1 only. I use the sniping rifle with stealth since it has a x5 crit. Basically one shot them with sneak attacks.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2010, 01:24:45 AM »

Look, these people are playing the game and fielding what sound like legitimate complaints. If you're going to make quips like that you could at least make a solid argument for why it's not really an issue rather than just make condescending statements.
People are complaining about companions being too powerful, don't use one. Or, they could try putting the difficulty to very hard. Even hardcore mode ups the difficulty because companions die. People said melee is broken, don't use melee perks that give you a significant advantage, or don't use melee. Some people complain that deathclaws are too weak, some complain that they are too strong.

Sorry, but it just sounds like a whole lot of people bitching about problems and things that can be avoided or minimized if they used some common sense or had some self control. There can be no argument when the people complaining refuse to try and solve the problem. Instead, their immediate response is to claim something is broken or complain about it.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: