Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 04:29:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338126 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fallout New Vegas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Print
Author Topic: Fallout New Vegas  (Read 19063 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2010, 01:30:36 AM »

A lot of people would want to be challenged without effectively tying their arm behind their back and holding back on what the game makes readily available. This doesn't sound like the kind of stuff you go out of your way to abuse either, like a bug or just grinding something out.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2010, 01:48:57 AM »

I guess that could be a problem for some people then. Just saying, it doesn't hurt to gimp yourself every now and then to make things more enjoyable.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2010, 07:15:27 AM »

That's like saying a Mario game is too easy, so if you wanted more of a challenge you should play with your feet.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2010, 07:32:42 AM »

I guess that could be a problem for some people then. Just saying, it doesn't hurt to gimp yourself every now and then to make things more enjoyable.

Stopping yourself from using game features is different from turning up the difficulty. If I complain a game is too easy (Though usually I don't), it's probably because I see potential/have fun with using certain combat aspects of the game but don't feel that they're used to their fullest extent because the game doesn't encourage the use through difficult battles.

It'd be like if they made FF5 really easy, then you told me to make the game harder on myself by just keeping all my characters freelancers the whole game.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2010, 07:41:56 AM »

Wow, I just found out about the strength requirement on weapons in New Vegas.  Well this is great.  I usually start my character with 4 strength so I have a higher intelligence.  Now I find out that I've basically fucked myself because weapons like the anti-material rifle require 8 strength.  Damnit, that would have been great information to have when I started.  Again, a minor change from Fallout 3 that has a purpose and certainly makes sense, but also takes way from the overall enjoyment of the game, imo. 
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2010, 08:20:18 AM »

INT also works differently in this game than Fallout 3 so it's not as beneficial to pump it right from the start, unfortunately. I made that same mistake my first time through.

What advice I can give is this:
1. Use the Rifle only on strong enemies.
2. Get the Perk that gives you -2 to the strength requirement on all weapons.  That will set it down to 7. This perk is a must if you're using guns of any kind.
3. Get the Strength implant and use Buffout.

Theoretically, that will allow you to hit the necessary 7.  The main problem, of course, is if the Buffout works with weapon requirements.

I have a ton of Buffout on me at all times simply because I never use it. You might as well make it useful.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 08:23:35 AM by Cyril » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2010, 08:48:57 AM »

Is there a perk like in Fallout 3 where you can raise all your stats to 9?

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2010, 09:33:32 AM »

Nope, there's nothing like that.  If you don't mind spoilers, here's a full list.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_perks

Most of the level 20+ ones are actually quite underpowered considering what level you get them.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2010, 09:39:15 AM »

That's kind of disappointing. Half the fun of the perks was abusing some of the more powerful ones.

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: November 06, 2010, 12:34:44 PM »

Most of these changes (damage threshold instead of resistance, strength requirements for weapons, no overpowered perks) are actually things from the first two games. I liked Fallout 3, but NV is much closer to what I'd hoped that would be. There are far more non-combat solutions to quests, much less dungeon-crawling and the combat isn't as easy.

I wouldn't worry too much about having a low strength character - like Cyril said, there are enough ways to raise it (there's also the Intense Training perk) and if you don't meet the requirements for a weapon you can still wield it, you just won't be as accurate. And Intelligence checks come up fairly frequently in dialogue.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:41:17 PM by DPB » Logged
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2010, 12:53:13 PM »

This seems a bit obvious, but uh..I'll throw it here anyways.  Try to sneak up on enemies and always shoot while you're crouched.  If there's something you really can't  beat, get 2 followers and make sure they engage first while you sit back (crouched) and pick things off with your highest DAM weapons.  Try to find something that has high DAM but still allows you to get off quite a few shots in VATS.  I preferred the 10mm Submachine Gun.  It has decent damage, fires very quickly, has plenty of ammo and I was able to get off atleast 4-5 squeezes in VATS.  Also make sure you're not using the -wrong- ammo vs certain enemy types, this has a tendency to gimp you instead of making you stronger.  I'm inclined to agree with Danku here, I can't really argue Fallout being too hard - especially if you have high Gun skill.

Worst case, use ED-E and try to avoid enemies you don't want to fight, ED-E's perk let's you see any NPC within a very wide radius.  I've heard Melee is much better than Fallout 3 (not hard to accomplish) but Guns are the most powerful.  This would go hand in hand with my experience.

That's like saying a Mario game is too easy, so if you wanted more of a challenge you should play with your feet.

It's more like saying if you think Mario is too easy, don't use mushrooms or any other things that effectively give you an extra 'hit' before death.  But I'm not really a fan of saying "that's like saying...', it's much too easy to skew things to fit your argument.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:55:04 PM by Masamune » Logged

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2010, 05:09:03 PM »

Holy shit!  I just picked up the ballistic fist weapon, and with no points in unarmed and an endurance of 5 I'm destroying everything in my path!  Seriously, I just took out the entire Legion with ease.  God, now I want to restart my game and use unarmed attacks the whole way through. 
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: November 07, 2010, 12:41:26 PM »

My favorite song so far.No idea why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD4hSJybyCY&feature=related

It makes me miss living in Nebraska at least

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2010, 02:09:15 PM »

The music is fun and dorky.  Like listening to classical stations in Grand Theft Auto, the situation the music is in creates the novelty, but I am wrong to say I like the music itself.  When I'm not playing the game, I hate having these songs in my head.

I found out that there is actual videogame music that plays when the radio is off, which I prefer to the radio songs.  I still check the radio for news and stuff, but I can't take the songs anymore.

I have to admit that I got really sick a few weeks ago, and I may be associating the radio songs with that horrible sickness.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: November 09, 2010, 12:25:17 AM »

Holy shit!  I just picked up the ballistic fist weapon, and with no points in unarmed and an endurance of 5 I'm destroying everything in my path!  Seriously, I just took out the entire Legion with ease.  God, now I want to restart my game and use unarmed attacks the whole way through. 
Wait until you get the Distortion Fist or whatever it's called. Shit is sickkk.
When I get this on PC eventually, I'm totally making a melee god.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: