Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 07:53:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327877 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fallout New Vegas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Print
Author Topic: Fallout New Vegas  (Read 18302 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2010, 12:35:40 AM »

I've been using something called the "Paladin Toaster", and it's fisting the fuck out of everything in my path.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2010, 01:21:32 PM »

I've been using something called the "Paladin Toaster", and it's fisting the fuck out of everything in my path.

lol Sounds like my kind of weapon

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2010, 01:42:33 PM »

Maybe they were going for a Fist of the North Star vibe with New Vegas.  I understand trying to balance out the melee and unarmed combat because they were hard to work with in F3 (though not impossible), but this is pretty crazy stuff.  I used the Rebirth mod to start my character over again because I didn't want to slog through all of the previous visited content.  I can pretty much punch a deathclaw in the face and not even worry about him taking me out.  I feel bad for people that tried to play the game through like F3, because between the DT and unarmed/melee dominance you can easily fuck up a character in NV. 
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2010, 06:33:26 PM »

They must have thought that iron-sight aiming would be overpowered.

I found a fist weapon called "Pushy" which is basically defibrillator knuckles.

I keep melee, unarmed, and guns raised pretty equally.  I maxed speech, and that's about it for my skills.  Guns are too much fun to skip, and sniping fiends with the bloody mess perk reminds me of Doom.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2010, 05:40:42 PM »

I have a question, I don't know if it's a bug or if I'm missing something.

So the run key is L-shift and the sneak key is L-ctrl, but when I press L-shift I sneak and when I press L-ctrl I crouch, I can't run, no matter how much I mess with the key configuration. Whatever key I assign to run makes me sneak in the game. WTF?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2010, 07:31:07 AM »

That's because L-shift is walk, not run. The only speeds of movement are:

Run - the default, no keys pressed other than the movement ones.
Walk - Hold L-shift, or can be toggled on and off with Caps Lock.
Crouch - L-ctrl toggle, enters sneak mode.
Slow crouch - walking while crouched, supposedly makes you harder to detect.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2010, 07:52:14 AM »

That's because L-shift is walk, not run. The only speeds of movement are:

Run - the default, no keys pressed other than the movement ones.
Walk - Hold L-shift, or can be toggled on and off with Caps Lock.
Crouch - L-ctrl toggle, enters sneak mode.
Slow crouch - walking while crouched, supposedly makes you harder to detect.

But it says run in the key config screen. When a NPC is running I can't keep up with it. Man, I played FO3 for over 100 hours and I can't remember if you could run. I just found a sprint mod, gotta try that.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: November 11, 2010, 08:08:16 AM »

Yeah, I just checked it myself, and it does say run. I have no idea why they labeled it like that when run is the default, not walk. If it's defaulting to walk toggle it with Caps Lock and it should stay on as run in your save.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 08:15:36 AM by DPB » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: November 11, 2010, 08:21:30 AM »

Thanks for the reply, it was driving me crazy :-)

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: November 15, 2010, 12:19:03 PM »

I started a new game where I am playing the polar opposite of my first goody 2 shoes sniper character.

Setting:
Doctor forgot part of the bullet in the head, which is swelling and hurting. The intense pain and adrenaline is causing madness. To relieve part of it, I intake large amounts of drugs which further induces a psychopathic tendency.

tldr; I'm playing a psychopathic Fiend

Rules:
No talking
If it moves, I whack it
Fists or primitive melee weapons only

I'm not too sure if I can complete the game doing so though. Up to now I've rushed the main story.

I murdered and ate:
- Goodsprings (knife)
- Primm (tire iron)
- Camp Mojave (lead pipe)
- Nilton (machete)
- Novac (combat knife)

Melee truly is easy mode seeing how I can breeze trough the story up to now annihilating entire encampments (I floored camp Mojave with a lead pipe... A LEAD PIPE!) without buying any equipment.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 12:25:02 PM by Annubis » Logged
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: November 15, 2010, 01:24:08 PM »

See if you can take out everything in Dead Wind Cavern or Quarry Junction, it'd be interesting to find out just how powerful melee/unarmed is.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: November 15, 2010, 01:31:56 PM »

I'm level 6... stop being trollish.
I will go there at level 20-ish maybe.

I'll write up something wordy about the difference between early game guns and melee in a bit.
It's easy to see why math favors melee by a whole margin until you can get a sniper rifle or heavy caliber (.44, .308) hunting rifle.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: November 15, 2010, 02:24:56 PM »

I wasn't "being trollish", I'm genuinely interested to find out whether it's a viable option. I rarely play close combat characters in this type of game, but it seems that it's been improved greatly along with the addition of special move perks, so it might be worth a go in a future playthrough. All I have to go on is Veronica getting slaughtered by deathclaws, though apparently that's because there's a bug that prevents her from gaining any levels.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: November 15, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »

Sorry about that. I read your post as sarcasm.

I downloaded a mod that fixes that... and she still dies quite easy.
But that's mostly because Deathclaw ignore tons (if not all) DT.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:49:56 PM by Annubis » Logged
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2010, 11:12:59 AM »

'The failing of DT' or 'Why brawl/melee kick major ass'
The game offers a wide range of style of play, but did not get the balance a game like System Shock 2 or Deus Ex had. While Fallout 3 brought that balance a bit closer with DR, the whole idea got scrapped in New Vegas.
There are WRONG choices. Making a character who is a super social wildnerness doctor, but awful in combat just won't cut it.
And so, with many ways to screw yourself over, most gamers will find it frustrating to battle the game trying to beat the simple math formulae: DAM - DT = damage unless damage < 20% DAM, then 20% DAM = damage.

DAM - DT
DAM - DT means that the best weapons in the game will be those with the highest DAM (thus anything with an auto or semi-auto mode will be awful).
Any weapon with a DAM under 16 is completly useless (every pistol, all shotguns, most rifles, chainguns).
Weapons can use different ammos to try and compensate for this, but the ammo system was poorly integrated. Looking at the ammo system:
- Not available enough in early game
- AP ammos being the only good ammo
- Ammo switching on PC should have been connected to mouse (scrolling wheel) as the keyboard is related to movement in fights

Brawl/Melee on the other hand have great DAM & low DPS; which is exactly what you want. They don't need AP ammos, since you can power attack at no extra cost (I'll need to test, but I estimate about +10 DAM) AND even get a double dip with the talent that lowers DT by 10 on target without the 0.95% damage modifier AP ammos have. Overall, that would be like giving shotguns AP ammo to go with the shotgun surgeon perk.

In the early game, the power attack insures that most brawl/melee attack will go above the target's DT which is very efficient. Guns on the other hand cannot power attack and will not have enough AP ammos right off the start.

I'll update this later as I progress through the game to see how middle and end-game brawl/melee handle.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: