Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 04:41:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327545 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fallout New Vegas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Print
Author Topic: Fallout New Vegas  (Read 18258 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2011, 03:11:44 PM »

Fallout 3 is a much better experience, IMO. The setting and style of NV just don't mesh well with overarching 1950s kitch of the fallout universe. It's pretty fun to throw brutal apocolypse and cozy 1950s kitch together. But throwing Wild West into the mix just makes the style lose definition. Washington DC with it's upbeat jazz and reminants of suburban American culture just WORKS. But throw Wild West in there, which is so counter to 50s kitch, and it just becomes another confused, generic apocolypse story with a competing mish-mash of extreme subcultures. Basically, Fallout 3 had a nice tight focus, a unique style that was tangible and you could really sink your teeth into. Fallout NV was random, I walked away without any particularly unique feel.

The DLC for Fallout 3 is great, I wish I had been able to purchase/play it all from the beginning. Get the GOTY edition and play that, you'll be doing yourself a huge favor.

PS: I don't really get what "improvements" were made in NV. For the most part, I found the games to be very similar in terms of gameplay. Fallout NV was also far more glitchy.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: May 16, 2011, 04:57:40 PM »

Get both.  They are both great games.  I do agree NV is the glitchier out of the two, but I also feel it has greater storyline depth to it.  Not particularly the main story, but just all the little pieces together, and having companions that have their own thing going on, some greater than others of course, was also nice.  I think the main thing is that New Vegas feels more like what Fallout should be, whereas 3, while still great, to many did not have that same feel.  Keep in mind both 1 and 2 took place in the western US, in the California areas.  I completely disagree with Prime in saying NV didn't mesh well with what fallout is supposed to be, but I guess different strokes for different folks.

Honestly since you can get all the DLC together in one nicely priced shebang, I would go for the original Fallout 3.  I have actually heard that they plan on doing no less than 9 DLC for New Vegas, though I have no confirmation on it, so it may be best, if your willing to wait, to see how that pans out, and just get the GOTY edition of that once it hits.  Also the game of the year for fallout 3 shouldn't be that hard to find.

Also the games do not really interact with each other, so you are not really "missing out" if you play NV before 3.  In fact if anything, playing 1 and 2 will have you smile occasionally doing NV due to little things here and there from those games.  Well 3 had one moment of that, that I can think of, but NV has more of it in general.

So thats my blah blah on all of this.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »

Fallout 3 is one of the rare instances where I put about 80 hours into it but don't think about it a lot after playing.

It was a total blast, but the story was pretty lame and uninteresting in my book.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2011, 10:49:29 PM »

I almost felt that the developers decided it was suddenly time to end the game, although it's still one of my favorite games in spite of the story, which I agree could have certainly been more complex. I simply never got any emotional attachment. Somewhat reminds me of complaints I've heard about Nier, sooo many quests that you never get to know the individual and his needs/desires/wants. But for whatever reason I did get more attached in Nier than in Fallout 3. In Fallout I felt more like a mercenary, simply doing a job and going on to the next job. Could just be me though.

Everything's Eventual
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: May 17, 2011, 03:48:23 AM »

Been thinking about giving the new Fallout a spin. Is it worth hunting down Fallout 3 (I'm only considering the complete edition with all the DLC included)

If you do that, for god's sake, don't get the PS3 version.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2011, 05:51:08 AM »

Been thinking about giving the new Fallout a spin. Is it worth hunting down Fallout 3 (I'm only considering the complete edition with all the DLC included)

If you do that, for god's sake, don't get the PS3 version.

Hehehehe, For sure. My ps3 version of NV crashed the moment I met sonny smiles, was virtually unplayable after that. Fallout 3 was a real hit and miss, if you haven't saved, It can crash at the worst possible times. So OP, thread's a bit old but I'd have to recommend both f3goty and nv on pc or xb, really amazing games if you have the time.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2011, 02:56:23 PM »

On one hand, New Vegas is retardedly cheap at GameStop. On the other, fans seen really split on the game.

I actually ordered Fallout 3 GotY Edition for the PS3 not too long ago since it was $20. Haven't gotten to it yet, but the message I'm getting here is save often. (360 and PC weren't an option for me.)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2011, 03:03:59 PM »

how is the atmospheric music in NV?

I fucking love the stuff that plays when wandering the wastelands in fallout 3. I wish there was more variety in that regard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuYwAB9p8Lk&feature=related
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 03:06:10 PM by Yoda » Logged
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: May 17, 2011, 03:44:18 PM »

From everything I listened to (I mostly listened to the radio in both games), NV used exactly the same environmental music as Fallout 3. Maybe there were a few new ones in there, it wouldn't surprise me, but for the most part, I recognized everything, note for note.

And I'll agree with the impersonality statement (though I have no idea how one could compare it to Nier, which was an intensely personal and intimate story). Fallout NV is completely impresonal on all counts. It's constructed entirely to make the character an emotionally removed cipher. You're a character with no name who comes into a foreign land, no familly attachments, no personal attachments, no history... and solves everybody's problems. They were probably playing off the cowboy architype, but you don't seem much like a cowboy. It reminded me of playing The Rookie from ODST, without the cast from Firefly backing you up. Maybe Fallout 3s personal story got a little bit cheesy at times, but at least it gave you a purpose.

Fallout New Vegas: Play a nameless character with no personality who travels to a desolate wasteland in order to determine the outcome of a conflict between a bunch of assholes you don't care about.

• You can help the Federation from Firefly
  • You can help an immortal Andrew Ryan from Bioshock
  • You can help a roman army lead by Atilla the Hun

HAVE FUN!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 18, 2011, 12:50:42 AM »

Or you can say screw 'em all and help yourself. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
msg
Übermensch

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: May 18, 2011, 03:11:44 AM »

I started a new game yesterday, only got a few achievements to get so going to finish up this time. Except for the hardcore mode, im not doing it until I have to, it seems like a lot of effort and not much fun, I'll save it for my 3rd playthrough.

Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: May 18, 2011, 03:44:05 AM »

Or you can say screw 'em all and help yourself. :)

This.

Also I thought it completely possible to make a personality for your character. Mine is a deceiver tells everyone what they want to hear so she can stab them in the back when they least expect it. I've had fun convincing all the factions that I'm on their side when really I'm working for myself to take over the wasteland. Honestly it's worked a lot better than I thought so far. I can freely move through NCR and Legion territories with no problems.

My favorite part however was when I was working for the White glove society and
Code:
they wanted me to capture that one kid so they could eat him and put him in the dumpster. I told him hey let's go fuck in that dumpster and he went right in. XD
[/color]

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: May 18, 2011, 04:13:55 AM »

you just convinced me to not play this game >_>

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: