Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 07:39:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330113 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light  (Read 3732 times)
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »

Anyone else pick this up? I'm thoroughly enjoying the game. The artwork is charming, the music is good and the battle system is fun and fast paced thanks in part to the streamlining. I was a little apprehensive about the strict item restrictions, but I find managing my items to be another part of the game I enjoy.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »

Seems like no one else did. I haven't picked it up yet. Might wait to get it for Christmas. Looking forward to it.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 02:47:42 PM »

I haven't played my copy yet, but the "hardcore" fans are labeling it the best FF since IX.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 02:56:38 PM »

I admit I am interested in it, but I haven't bought it.

I don't want to be let down again :(

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 03:30:35 PM »

One big turnoff to trying the game I read was that if you attack the game decides your target for you. Turnoff, but maybe something I can deal with. Maybe.

When you heal the game decides your target for you. That brought up the red flag for me. I'm not sure what the motivation for that is. Kid game? Casual? Fear of too many menus? Why take control out of the players hands?

If people really rave about it I might try it, but no way I'm going to impulse buy it.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 04:12:30 PM »

I didn't like the idea of automatically chosen targets either but the rules by which the game chooses them are pretty predictable so it isn't that much of a problem. It never feels like you're actually missing choices, it's just how the game is designed and it works well. I wouldn't really label it causal or kid friendly either, apparently the game gets pretty difficult and requires good knowledge and manipulation of mechanics.

Here's Jeremy Parish's review: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3181671
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 04:34:03 PM »

When you heal the game decides your target for you. That brought up the red flag for me. I'm not sure what the motivation for that is. Kid game? Casual? Fear of too many menus? Why take control out of the players hands?

To speed up the battles. It works.

And yes, it does get difficult if you don't master the jobsystem. It's kind of like Wild Arms XF. Some jobs may seem silly and weak, but they're lifesavers when used the right way at the right time.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 04:35:27 PM »

Picked it up and played for a few hours but dropped it at
Code:
The town hidden in the desert
to go back to DQ9.

Game seems fun, and the issues with item limits and control of players is no big deal really. What is a drag with the game is that it goes back to the mechanics of the 90's where you need to wander around and talk to every NPC day and night to figure out wtf you're supposed to do.
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 04:41:14 PM »

I'm playing the game now, and will review it.

For those worried about the automatic targeting mechanic:  it is no big deal.  In fact, they added a strategic dimension in that certain weapons/attacks will always hit the back row, while other methods will hit the first row.  The AI for targeting is fantastic, and this includes curing, which was my biggest worry.  The game knows who to prioritize for cures, and, really, it's not that complicated.  I'm not too far in, so I may change my opinion, but so far, so great.

The game is for the old school at heart, so if talking to NPCs, wandering, and using limited resources isn't your thing, you may want to move along.

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 04:45:27 PM »

Hmm. This sounds rather good actually. Though how is the story? I imagine it's very light-hearted, but how light-hearted are we talking here? Pokemon?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 04:54:42 PM »

Hmm. This sounds rather good actually. Though how is the story? I imagine it's very light-hearted, but how light-hearted are we talking here? Pokemon?

Old school.

Princess?  Check.
Crystals that talk?  Check.
Destined heroes?  Check.

I don't want to get too much into it, but I want to stress the point that this game is old school.  I also don't want to say "go buy it" without having played much more of it, but the pacing is great.  This may be the first successful trip to the past that many have attempted--without parody.

Oh, and you will die.  A lot.  That part's old school, too.

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 04:57:04 PM »

Well, I like Etrain Odyssey, so that doesn't bother me.

Okay, I'm probably going to buy it. Though I'll wait for your review I think, just to make sure.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 05:27:57 PM »

It's like a FF3/DQ hybrid.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »

It sounds like an oldschool JRPG but with a lot of the slow/pointless/irritating stuff, like grind, taken out. Is that the case?

Or is it oldschool to the point of having grind?

In general from the early previews I also got the idea that the game had a lot of addition by subtraction, in a sense, as well.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 06:58:59 PM »

Can't speak for grind...but the slow irritating stuff like no clue where to go, having to talk to NPCs to find the next destination etc, is all there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: