Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 07:49:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330180 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light  (Read 3735 times)
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 09:22:56 PM »

It sounds like an oldschool JRPG but with a lot of the slow/pointless/irritating stuff, like grind, taken out. Is that the case?

Or is it oldschool to the point of having grind?

In general from the early previews I also got the idea that the game had a lot of addition by subtraction, in a sense, as well.

I think your assessment's accurate.  I level naturally, and if I get caught by a particularly hard boss, it's because I'm not using the right equipment, or because I need to sneak around a cave I shouldn't even be at, yet, steal highly powered equipment, and then haul ass out.  So, it's interesting in that way--linear, yes, but there is room to cheat.  Thumbs up there.

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 02:03:45 AM »

The bosses level up with you, so grinding is kind of useless unless you're grinding for jewels. Some jobs have very useful final skills that can be game breaking, so you really want those jewels. There are also some pieces of equipment that really benefit from upgrading. The dagger the princess comes with (King's Dagger?) is one of the best weapons in the game.

Example: merchants have a skills that allows them to base damage on the amount of money you possess. There is a minigame you can use to earn huge amounts of money if you have the patience. You do the math.

As for the story, it's like a trip to 1990. Some things only make sense if you're using 8-bit RPG logic, characters are barely developed and the game uses as many clichés as possible.

Basically, it's nostalgia with pretty graphics, best played on a lazy Sunday afternoon while munching on brightly coloured cereal.
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 03:18:40 AM »

The bosses level up with you, so grinding is kind of useless unless you're grinding for jewels. Some jobs have very useful final skills that can be game breaking, so you really want those jewels. There are also some pieces of equipment that really benefit from upgrading. The dagger the princess comes with (King's Dagger?) is one of the best weapons in the game.

Example: merchants have a skills that allows them to base damage on the amount of money you possess. There is a minigame you can use to earn huge amounts of money if you have the patience. You do the math.

As for the story, it's like a trip to 1990. Some things only make sense if you're using 8-bit RPG logic, characters are barely developed and the game uses as many clichés as possible.

Basically, it's nostalgia with pretty graphics, best played on a lazy Sunday afternoon while munching on brightly coloured cereal.

AHHH, SPOILERS!  FACK!  Must wash brain.

Also:  if I remember to eat, it's not a good game.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 03:34:22 PM »

The merchant thing? Meh, most figure it out once they see the job. The game expects you to.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 06:58:33 PM »

At a friends house, and he has this game. So i've been giving it ago, I just got the map to let me see the hidden city in the desert. Sailor Moon's brother also seems to have joined my team.

This feels a lot more Dragon Quest-y than Final Fantasy-y.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 02:25:18 AM »

It even has metal flans!

Sadly, they only give 100 exp. But the don't run away and you can get a rare jewel from them, so I guess it's okay.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 02:52:16 PM »

I'll be picking up a copy some time this week, and I can't wait to pick it up! I love a good old school RPG with class switching.:)

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 03:32:34 PM »

i played till i got to the witches mansion and the game told me to go back and look for my friend....

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 05:45:41 AM »

I bought the game even though I said I was gonna wait :P

The opportunity arose and I just went for it.

The game is actually pretty good. And there are some cool classes to pick from

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 03:29:33 PM »

Thank you for not developing this, Square-enix.  It'll most likely be better that way.

OOF!

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 05:26:24 PM »

I hypocritically caved. It's pretty fun. Got to the point where the party finally comes back together and shit gets real. Only complaints are nitpicks like the save guy default cursor being on 'no' which gets me about half the time. I want to save. That's why I'm talking to save guy. And that there's no visual for buffs on your party. That turned me off being a unique snowflake and using salve maker since I didn't want to accidentally miss the quick message the game gives you when dispensary wears off. A shame since spamming free ethers was pretty neat.

Music seems pretty quiet too. But that's coming off DQ9 as my last game which let actually turn it up to 11((Ok, '5') and drain my battery like mad.

Currently running Ranger/Merchant(Need a new bow pretty bad), Hero, Blackmage/elementalist and Bard/white mage. The game was tricky early on. It had a harp that was twice as good as everything else for sale and bribed me into playing bard. Now I'm STILL using that harp and it sucks, but for once, the bard carries it's weight outside a mmo with it's awesome buffs.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:34:39 PM by Raze » Logged
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 09:08:04 PM »

I hypocritically caved. It's pretty fun. Got to the point where the party finally comes back together and shit gets real. Only complaints are nitpicks like the save guy default cursor being on 'no' which gets me about half the time. I want to save. That's why I'm talking to save guy. And that there's no visual for buffs on your party. That turned me off being a unique snowflake and using salve maker since I didn't want to accidentally miss the quick message the game gives you when dispensary wears off. A shame since spamming free ethers was pretty neat.

Music seems pretty quiet too. But that's coming off DQ9 as my last game which let actually turn it up to 11((Ok, '5') and drain my battery like mad.

Currently running Ranger/Merchant(Need a new bow pretty bad), Hero, Blackmage/elementalist and Bard/white mage. The game was tricky early on. It had a harp that was twice as good as everything else for sale and bribed me into playing bard. Now I'm STILL using that harp and it sucks, but for once, the bard carries it's weight outside a mmo with it's awesome buffs.

You and I have some overlap, but differences in playstyle.  As for your complaints, the cursor staying on "No" is a safety, since there's no save slot to choose--once you say yes to saving, that's that.  So, it's better this way in case of accidental clicking.  Now, the lack of visual notation for buffs is a HUGE oversight.  Not sure how they dropped the ball on that, considering most FF's to date have that feature.

My team for most of the game consisted of Merchant, Hero, Priest, and a misc. that was sometimes a thief, but during boss fights either a scholar or a bard.  Recently, I've moved on to some of the newer, more powerful hats, but I'm still using hero and priest.

I've reached the part of FF's where I'm ready to beat the game, but I must complete all sidequests.  Plus, the final dungeon is hard.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 09:42:54 PM »

This game is surprisingly good. x.x

I think this is the first Final Fantasy (Hur-hur) game I've enjoyed in about 10 years.

Since everyone else is stating their classes I'll throw mine out there.

Merchant/Hero, White Mage/Party Host, Salve-maker/Bard, Black Mage/Scholar

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 12:39:58 AM »

Party Host.

Well isn't that fancy :)
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 08:25:53 AM »

Though I do find myself getting lost every now and again - like I've missed an important line of dialogue somewhere and there isn't a clear indication on where to go or what to do.  It's nice to wander about though...

It's not you, it's the game.  I'm just trying to figure out if it's lazy design or intentional--for the sake of being old school.  Either way, I don't like it.  :P

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: