Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 01:26:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338735 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light  (Read 3964 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 09:27:33 AM »

I'm lost right now.

I'm currently wandering around the world on my dragon collecting the pieces of equipment for Rolan. THough I've been to the 5 cities, and gotten all the equipment, but nothings happening. I dunno where the heck i'm meant to go.

EDIT: Never mind, got it now. Randomly went to the right place.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:39:04 AM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 09:39:23 AM »

Code:
I think you're at the point where you have to confron Rolan again. He can be found in the basement of the flying island (go through the cave again).

If you're stuck, try talking to animals. Animals usually give the best hints.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 04:18:08 PM by Tomara » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 10:53:06 AM »

Yeah, you were right Tomara. The goats led me to that conclusion eventually :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 10:58:15 AM »

Though I do find myself getting lost every now and again - like I've missed an important line of dialogue somewhere and there isn't a clear indication on where to go or what to do.  It's nice to wander about though...

It's not you, it's the game.  I'm just trying to figure out if it's lazy design or intentional--for the sake of being old school.  Either way, I don't like it.  :P

If you talk to EVERYONE, day and night, you'll find out what to do.

I did randomly
Code:
run into the main character back at the desert town after being turned into a cat, didn't know I was supposed to have a party and tried going through the fairy cave alone.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2010, 04:33:26 AM »

Just picked it up today, though unfortunately it's a Christmas present (my only present, actually). Still, I can't wait to play it! It looks like exactly my kind of game!

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 02:01:30 AM »

Things taking a bit of a downturn later in the game. Problem is that despite enemies scaling to your level I feel incredibly overleveled. Random encounters have me always going first and one shotting everything and never even getting attacked. And this isn't using high AP moves, just regular attacks and level 1 black magic. I did upgrade Brandt and Yunita's weapons to +9 when they weren't keeping up with the casters. You could say I brought it on myself, but I'm going to counterpoint that if I hadn't did that I could have just turned them into black mages.

Boss wise they vary from bad offense to decent, but counterable offense, but all go down pretty quick when you bring out the high AP specials like magical might and wrath.

Hopefully it's just a temporary rut and things will pick up again.
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 02:30:04 PM »

Raze, I had the exact same experience.  It's a shame, really.  Solid game design until the end.  If you want a challenge, wait until the very end, or when you discover some sidequests.  You'll be singing a different tune.

Review up in the coming week(s).

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 02:51:43 PM »

I finished the game now. I agree about the lack of difficulty towards the end though, as levels became practically irrelevant because the enemies scale to your level.

The 4 Towers and the last dungeon were pretty difficult though.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2010, 04:50:35 AM »

My hero and black mage murdered practically every random encounter, but the bosses can be quite difficult. I made the mistake of completing the first tower before taking on the final boss. I got my ass kicked three times. Luck and micromanagement saved the day.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2010, 07:07:31 PM »

Excellent review, couldn't disagree with anything, really.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2010, 08:05:13 PM »

One mistake in the review.

One limitation that RPG veterans might have to get used to is the inability to cast spells outside of battle. Casting cure is reserved for in-battle gameplay only, so if a character is left critical at the end of battle, players better have potions stocked and ready to go.

This is wrong, although I'd definitely put blame on the devs rather than the review for making this assumption since it's not exactly the normal way of handling things and they don't bother to tell you about it. You can heal by using spellbooks as a item in the menu.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2010, 08:05:53 PM »

I missed that, yeah. It's wrong,  you use the spellbook like an item.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2010, 12:11:59 PM »

Thanks for reading, folks, and thanks for pointing out the error.  Would have made the game a lot easier if I had known how to do this from the start!  I tried quite a few things, too.  Surprised I didn't try that.

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2010, 02:12:36 PM »

One mistake in the review.

One limitation that RPG veterans might have to get used to is the inability to cast spells outside of battle. Casting cure is reserved for in-battle gameplay only, so if a character is left critical at the end of battle, players better have potions stocked and ready to go.

This is wrong, although I'd definitely put blame on the devs rather than the review for making this assumption since it's not exactly the normal way of handling things and they don't bother to tell you about it. You can heal by using spellbooks as a item in the menu.

I believe the manual tells you this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: