Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 07:16:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340982 Posts in 13937 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Jeanne d'Arc (Joan of Arc)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Jeanne d'Arc (Joan of Arc)  (Read 6923 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2006, 12:09:13 AM »

I want original RPGs for the PSP too - but by original, I don't mean groundbreakingly innovative, but rather RPGs that have never been on any of the other systems. Turn based or close enough preferred, though.

Admittedly, LoH counts under this for the US market, and I still want to get it - but I'm afraid VP will have spoilt me, despite being just a port.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2006, 04:51:24 AM »

The Legend of Heroes games play a lot like Dragon Quest--in respect to every town, outside area, and dungeon look similar to each other, and the music, quite repetitive. They're still nice RPGs to play once in awhile. I won't take anything from them, as they do have worthwhile, comical moments that remind you why you're playing this RPG series.

Getting back on topic--Jeanne D'Arc's in-game character designs & environments look bland, but the anime cutscenes are what make this title shine in particular. As a sidenote, I pray they do a decent job on the voice acting.

I liken this to the anime show, Gankutsuou, based on The Count of Monte Cristo, yet it had a bizarre science fiction theme. I think the same will apply to Jeanne D'Arc, however the heroine will still have her brave and forthcoming personality traits.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2006, 10:53:16 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
I want original RPGs for the PSP too - but by original, I don't mean groundbreakingly innovative, but rather RPGs that have never been on any of the other systems. Turn based or close enough preferred, though.

You see this is the point I don't get. The games are there, at least in Japan. Kouji Okada's Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner, Marvelous' Innocent Life: Shin Bokujou Monogatari, Konami's Twelve just to mention three. It's just that American publishers seem to completely ignore the PlayStation Portable for whatever reason or only release mediocre games like those old Eiyuu Densetsu games or Popolocrois. Then again, compared to PlayStation Portable games, the profit margins for localizing PlayStation 2 titles are probably much higher, hence the reluctance of Atlus USA, XSeed, Agetec and others to bring solid games like Monster Kingdom to the US.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2006, 02:43:19 AM »

I keep hoping Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core will change all that. Do you think that game alone could sell PSPs ? It is FFVII after all.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2006, 03:59:54 AM »

If Monster Hunter Portable can sell 500,000 copies in Japan, then Crisis Core with all its brand power should be able to sell a similar amount of copies as well. I dare to doubt that the game will become a million seller, though.

As for selling hardware, I'm not sure. Then again, if Crisis Core doesn't sell hardware, I don't know which game (possibly the Tales games) on the system could do so. During the launch window it might help boost sales for the system in Japan, but that will also depend on the release date. This year's christmas season will be insane, in Japan and elsewhere, because of the two next-gen launches.
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2006, 01:15:52 AM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
People complain about a lack of original titles on PlayStation Portable, and then if somebody finally ends up making an original RPG like in this case Level 5, it's not original enough :P.

Well said!

i just watched the trailer and loved it. Level5 developing a strat RPG looks to be a good match.

Also, for ppl who said "should be on DS..." why? What purpose would the touch screen and/or dual screen serve? Also, anime cutscenes <3. I'm glad PSP will be getting a *really* good RPG.

Ramza

How do you know the game is going to be good?  At this point in time nothing is known about the gameplay.  While I have enjoyed the Level 5 developed games I have played, I am not going to assume that this game is going to be great based on the maker's pedigree.  This is their first strategy RPG.  There is a chance they can fuck things up.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2006, 01:23:04 AM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
Also, for ppl who said "should be on DS..." why? What purpose would the touch screen and/or dual screen serve?

While these aren't strong enough reasons to move it over to the DS, the fact you can use to the touch screen for selecting panels to move to and the like /could/ be useful. It wasn't the best controlling for AW:DS, but it was functional, and something as simple as an option to use buttons to access the menus and stuff while using the stylus for panel selecting would probably make it work that much better than what AW:DS did (control completely with the stylus). And of course, you could use the top screen to show various stats on the battle, like what troops there are and their current HP/MP, and detailed information on selected ones.

Outside of those, I can't really think of anything that'd benefit more from being on the DS.

Edit: Also, while I initially brushed off what MonCaptain said as being overly cynical and nitpicky about what was said, I gave that some further thought and I think he has a point. Level 5's great, but part of that is because they're not afraid of trying something experimental, then refining it with a later installment. DC2 and, and likely RG to some extent, built off  of the successes and failures of DC1, and DQVIII stuck to what the previous DQs did, but making a giant overworld and making the whole thing look great, which DC1 and 2 can be thanked for as well. And the only other game of their's outside of those 4 is TFLO, which was cancelled so it's hard to tell how they'd fair in other (sub)genres.

However, I think that can also show that, should this game fail, it's sequel be that much better for it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: