Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 03:36:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331350 Posts in 13571 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  "On-Rails" RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: "On-Rails" RPGs  (Read 2747 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »

Thought this was kind of an interesting subject..

People get upset over how on-rails FF13 was, but this really isn't new with RPGs.

Most RPGs grew out of the on-rails system, but look at stuff like Shining Force or various other SRPGs that are simply a list of battles to play through. Mass Effect 2 is also heavily on rails, but you have the freedom to pick which track you want to ride. It also mixes in good story/characters and some social choices. Hell most RPGs are just a series of events and flags that lead you in a straight line with some optional side-quests. Some divert the path temporarily but they all end in the same place.

Personally I don't mind an RPG that is on rails. If FFXIII had some social/town areas thrown in, and a storyline (and pace) that was as good as the first 10 to 20 hours of the game, it would have been a really solid game overall.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 09:50:05 PM »

Linear doesn't mean bad.
I don't blame FFXIII on that. I've played many great jRPG that were 100% linear.

I blame it on a couple of other things though.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 10:27:10 PM »

When I read the title of your post I dunno why but I though of time crisis with swords and each enemy dropping money to buy stuff between levels...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 10:34:50 PM »

When I read the title of your post I dunno why but I though of time crisis with swords and each enemy dropping money to buy stuff between levels...

Haha kind of like that Dragon quest game but not sucking?
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 10:58:47 PM »

Panzer Dragoon Saga.

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 11:05:08 PM »

Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Never played one. Itīs a sad thing to miss the classics...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »

If we're looking for exceptions to this I'll mention Growlanser 2. Langrisser, as well.

But I actually agree with Thoren this time. There's nothing wrong with a title being "on-rails."
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 11:09:27 PM »

Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Never played one. Itīs a sad thing to miss the classics...
It's the only example of an "on rails" RPG I can think of. The rest of the games that people are mentioning are merely linear. In Panzer Dragoon Saga and pretty every Panzer Dragoon game the game moves you forwards and only forward. The only choices you have are whether you want to go left, right, up, down to avoid attacks or to go to different routes. It does vary depending on the stage but for the most part you really ARE on rails.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 11:16:33 PM »

Grandia 1 is on rails.

Great game.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 12:49:25 AM »

I think on rails and linear are two different things, or at least onrails is linear taken to a extreme. You can have town a > dungeon a > town b > dungeon b and still have lots of exploration. When I hear on rails I think dumbed down almost literal straight line gameplay where your dungeons are one long hallway with maybe one or two dead end turns with a chest here and there.

As for how I feel on it, linearity doesn't matter too much.

For my definition of on rails it's a big negative. But I can still enjoy a game if it has a involving battle system. On the other end, I can stand a mediocre battle system if there's a well made world to explore. Of course, ideally I want exploration and a good battle system.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 01:08:45 AM »

I don't mind linearity (Or even on rails, really- I play plenty of SRPGs and those are pretty much on rails) as long as it's done well. I'm pretty sure that's how everyone feels.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 01:43:49 AM »

I personally prefer "on-rails" over open world. I get lost in open world games and get overwhelmed by it (like FFXII).

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 06:39:08 AM »

Dragon Quest Swords was the first game to ruin linearity for me. Final Fantasy XIII then overkilled it.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 09:14:39 AM »

Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Nothing in this game is on-rails. Is it linear? - Totally. Is it on rails? - Nope. You are totally free to go wherever you want(within the boundaries of a location, of course) and this concerns both the on-foot sections of the game and when you`re riding a dragon. Many of the locations can be revisited. There are sidequests. Also, throughout the game your dragon gains abilities that allow you to access previously inaccessible areas. The battle system is typical turn-based fare(although with a few interesting twists).

I replayed PDS a few weeks ago and I don`t remember a single section of the game that`s on-rails in the way the actual on-rails games like Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Panzer Dragoon Orta are.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 12:16:38 PM »

Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Nothing in this game is on-rails. Is it linear? - Totally. Is it on rails? - Nope. You are totally free to go wherever you want(within the boundaries of a location, of course) and this concerns both the on-foot sections of the game and when you`re riding a dragon. Many of the locations can be revisited. There are sidequests. Also, throughout the game your dragon gains abilities that allow you to access previously inaccessible areas. The battle system is typical turn-based fare(although with a few interesting twists).

I replayed PDS a few weeks ago and I don`t remember a single section of the game that`s on-rails in the way the actual on-rails games like Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Panzer Dragoon Orta are.
Woops! Nevermind. I must have been thinking of one of the others. >_<

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: