Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 09:48:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334707 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite and Least Favorite RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Favorite and Least Favorite RPGs  (Read 5837 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2010, 05:12:28 AM »

Because apparently posting in old topics is a no-no that incites several lines of red text.:?

As the title suggests, please list your favorite RPGs and your least favorites. You can list as many as you want, and it would also be nice if you tell us all why you listed those games (what you like/didn't like, etc.), though you don't have to.

My List:

Favorite:

• Kingdom Hearts - This one could just be nostalgia, since it was my first RPG, but to me it was a good as it gets. It was a perfect blend of compelling story telling, memorable characters, a carefully crafted aesthetic that blends two completely different mediums and genres perfectly, and of course a brilliant mix of different gameplay styles that's suited to fit the tastes many different kinds of gamers. I've yet to see another game do what this game did as well as it did. While I still had some gripes with, those do not compare with the rest of this otherwise brilliant game. I'm so glad I let my brother pester me into playing it!
  • Final Fantasy V - The story is light-hearted with some occasionally deep moments that are unexpected and impressive. The gameplay is fun, with loads to explore and more customization options than most of the other games in the series. I suppose the Class System does force some unnecessary grinding, but I like that. I love a game that gives me the incentive to grind outside of "you gotta be strong enough to beat the boss". Basically, it's the perfect game fore me, and few others can top it.
  • Chrono Trigger - This was a case where I finally had to fess up and realize that some games are popular for a very good reason. It was brilliant from start to finish, and perfect in every way it needed to be, with my only real complaint being that it lacked any sense of difficulty for most of the game.
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey - A fantastic an well written storyline, a well fleshed out world and some carefully crafted themes, combined with the classic SMT gameplay I already know and love, except better, make this a definite winner in my book. Yet there's something holding it back from being number one for me, though I can't quite say for sure what.
  • Fallout 3 GOTY - This was a game that I fell in love with right from the first trailer, and once I got my hands on it, it did not disappoint. A compelling and well-written storyline, likeable characters, fantastic atmosphere, loads of lore, a brilliantly constructed post-apocalytic/retro-future theme, a fantastic (but still somewhat annoying) combat system with a sizeable difficulty, and of course a ton of customization options made this game a modern classic that was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, and this is coming from someone who usually hates western RPGs.
  • Grandia - Its compelling yet light-hearted and tounge in cheek adventure alone would've made it an instant favorite of mine, yet on top of that it throws in an elaborate and unique gameplay sytem that was a lot of fun to use, and a charming aesthetic with a beautiful world that's fun to explore. I can't believe I had been missing out on this gem for as long as I did.
  • Odin Sphere - Once again, a wonder combination of an epic, multi-faceted storyline, a well-fleshed out theme, and unique and fun gameplay with plenty of depth and challenge made this one an easy win in my book.
  • Rogue Galaxy - The story was cheeky, the characters were memorable, and I loved going to a bunch of different locales and hunting for loot while slaying everything that got in my way with my carefully crafted swords and guns. I sunk tons of hours into this game, and I loved every minute of it.
  • The Dark Spire - I love Wizardry, and I love first-person dungeon crawlers in general, and this may very be the best out of all of them. It's challenging but rewarding, has plenty to explore, and there's an interesting and mysterious storyline that keeps you going but doesn't get in the way of the fun. And did I mention the music and dialogue are so incredibly awesome?
  • Phantasy Star - A classic adventure that still manages to impress a young gamer like myself. The story and themes still hold up well enough considering their age, and most importantly the difficulty is well tuned and the worlds are fun to explore, whether it be in the overworld or in the First-Person dungeons. Honestly, it puts many of its fellow 8-bit RPGs to shame.

Honorable Mentions

• Pokemon Gold, Paper Mario: TTYD, and the Digimon World series - for being the best RPGs I'd played before I even new what an RPG was

Least Favorites

• Valkyrie Profile - This is my anti-game. Long, drawn out cutscenes about characters I don't care about. Gameplay that's broken up into sections that all suck in their own ways instead of having a solid combination; seperate story scenes, an overworld where you're just supposed to fly around until you find something, flawed platforming sections, and combat sections that utilize the single most simplistic and boring combat system I have ever experienced. This is one of those games I wished I'd never played, but I'm glad I did, because thanks to it my standards dropped a whole 5 bars.
  • Star Ocean: Till The End of Time - It lived up to it's name. I have never played a game with more padding in in story in my entire life, and the poor pacing exasperates everything. The repetitive and unintuitive combat system, the terrible AI, the boring locales, the terrible voice acting, the broken item creation/customization system - all of it is made worse by how exceedingly long you have to put up with it all. And it never gets any better, it just gets worse.
  • Star Ocean (SFC) - You'd think I would've learned from TTET, but I didn't. I decided to give it a shot since a good fellow recommended it to me on the basis that it was his favorite SNES RPG, and the original was even better than the remake. From then on I knew never to take recommendation from him ever again. The story was dull as dishwater and poorly paced, and the battles were laughably easy and simplistic. In fact, the battle system is second only to VP as the worst I'v ever experienced. The rest of the game simply isn't worth mentioning. With that said, the remake is fantastic.
  • Final Fantasy VI - Both The story and the characters were disappointingly shallow and childish, the gameplay was unbalanced with plenty of exploitable techniques that make an easy game even easier, and there are so many sub events and mini-games that it never really feels like I'm playing a single, focused game.
  • Kingdom Hearts II - Where do I start...The story made no sense, the combat was actually reduced to press-X-until-you-win, they introduced quick time events, included more pointless mini games (though some were actually more fun than the main game), and the worlds were made more liniear, reducing the emphasis on platforming, puzzle solving, and exploration that, along with the simple yet still skill-heavy combat, made the first game such a blast to play. I have never been more disappointed in a sequel in all my life, and I hope no other game ever tops it.
  • Golden Sun - I never really expected to like this one. I'm not even sure why I picked it up. Needless to say, it bored me to death. The story is dull and poorly-paced, the characters are cookie-cutter and utterly forgettable, and the combat is simplistic and utterly boring, made worse by the limited customization options. The puzzles didn't do anything for me, but I didn't dislike them either. I understand it was supposed to be a homage to the ancient RPGs of yore, but all it did was make me want to replay them even more.
  • The entire Dragon Quest series - I don't know what it is about this series, but it's always rubbing me the wrong way, even though it should embody everything that I consider good in a JRPG. It's story is always simple adventure story, which I usually go for, but in DQ it just makes things painfully predictable and boring. The gameplay is also very difficult and in some games it offers plenty of depth to customize your characters, but the combat is so simplistic and generic that it bores me to sleep more often than not. The biggest issue seems to be the generic Medievel Fantasy world, which for one reason or another I simply don't want "to be a part of" so to speak. Maybe someday things will click for me, but right now not only do I dislike them, but I'm even annoyed at the fact that I dislike them :(
  • Super Mario RPG: The Seven Stars - Like Golden Sun, I didn't expect to enjoy it, but I let a friend talk me into playing it. I enjoyed it for about 30 minutes, and then was utterly bored from then on. There was no difficulty to speak of, the isometric platforming was more trouble than it's worth, and the writing lacked the cleverness I had come to expect from the latest installments in the series. Maybe if I had played it when it first came out, I would've loved it, but as it stands, I'm too spoiled by more recent games to be able to enjoy it.
  • Everything made by Mistwalker - Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, ASH, you name it, it was a disappointment. While competant games in and of themselves, it's always the execution and some arbitrary gameplay mechanic that makes battles more tedious than they should be that holds them back from being as great as they should be.
  • Tales of Vesperia - Maybe it's just because I played it right after Tales of Symphonia, but it just felt too familiar, and what was different wasn't as good. It kinda turned my off the series for a while until I went back to its roots with Tales of Phantasia and fell in love them all over again

Well that was...a lot more work than I thought. Now I know why a lot of people don't like to elaborate on their lists.:P I'd also like to add that I didn't allow for multiple games in a series for my Favorites lists, since I didn't want to list more than I had to. I also didn't list Tactical RPGs for that same reason (and because I don't find it fair to compare SRPGs to other RPGs), but everyone else is free to list what they want.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
harmonic42

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 05:34:27 AM »

FAVORITE:

1) Chrono Trigger:  Fails at nothing, excels at everything. Is not exceptionally challenging, but isn't a button-mash sleep fest either. Amazing music, memorable characters and cutscenes, really cool Lovecraftian final boss.
2) Final Fantasy VI:  Closer to my heart than chrono trigger, though it is difficult to compete with CT's perfection and balance. Best atmosphere in any RPG I've ever played. Makes me almost cry just thinking about my first play through.
3) Final Fantasy Tactics:  Best storyline in any RPG I've played. Fun and addictive army-building.  Can spend hours on that menu just dinking around. Does suffer from a strange challenge curve, though.  (Up, down, UP!!, down, really down)
4) Final Fantasy IV:  Nostalgia factor times a million. My first SNES game ever. Might not have enjoyed it as much if, at the time, I wasn't a 12 year old boy playing his first SNES game with his dad (who bought him said SNES for christmas.)
5) Fire Emblem IV: Geneology of the Holy War:  Crown jewel of the fire emblem series. Has a ridiculously cool 2 generation system (parent-child character creation) Widely considered to be the game that brought tactical RPGs into the mainstream in Japan.

So many honorable mentions.  They include in no particular order:

Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
Final Fantasy V
Dragon Quest IV
Ogre Battle
Fire Emblem V: Thracia 776
Fire Emblem X: Radiant Dawn
Tales Of Phantasia
Secret Of Mana
Seiken Densetsu III
7th Saga

NOT-SO-FAVORITE:  (In no particular order)

Final Fantasy XIII:  Yeah, I know it's the whipping boy of the day, but it is a great example of this whole mainstream/streamline/hollywood evolution of big name titles.
95% of games made in RPGmaker:  Haha, the irony is huge, I know. But... I just can't play them for more than 2 minutes.
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion:  Okay, don't kill me. This is actually a pretty amazing game.  Huge, deep, beautiful, addictive.  But it could have been SOOOOO much more. It lacked the otherworldly creativity, atmosphere, and charm of its humble predecessor, Morrowind. The engine (besides the wacky monster leveling system) was a giant improvement from Morrowind, however.  Oblivion's main quest line was.... argh... so bad!

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 05:43:44 AM »

Some of these I will elaborate on some of these I want. I elaborated on all of them it would take far too long.

Favorite:

Megami Tensei series: Seriously do I really need to elaborate here? This in my opinion is the greatest RPG franchise period.

Final Fantasy VII, X, XII: The Final Fantasy series is complicated because while all the titles are indeed quality games many of them are hit and miss with me. My feelings toward VIII, IX, VI, IV etc are lukewarm.

Secret of Mana: The best action RPG EVER!

Valkyrie Profile series

Lunar series

Grandia series

Star Ocean*: I liked 2nd Story and Last Hope even though the ladder wasn't as great as the former. The asterisk comes from the fact that I don't like Till the End of Time at all. It was definitely a low point in the series in my opinion.

Tales series: Unlike most I suppose I'm more of a fan of the Tales of Destiny portion of the series there is just something about that game that's just screams classic.

Lost Odyssey

Blue Dragon

Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle etc: Classic tactical RPG franchise right up there with Final Fantasy Tactics. The Disgaea series is another good tactical RPG franchise as well.

Least:

Final Fantasy XIII: Yeah I know what you're going to say but I really don't hate this game as much as I use to. I don't love it but I don't hate it all that much either. It's decent enough.

Dark Cloud: I'm not sure how I feel about this game anymore. It's alright I suppose but I really can't say I like it a whole lot.

Suidoken III: Before I placed this game I had never played a Suidoken game in life and I just happened upon this title. Gamespot gave it a 9.1 if I remember so I decided to pick it up and I really just can't get into it all. I think I might have gotten almost to the end but I'm not sure. I really have no intention of ever picking this up again.

Shining Force Neo: While the gameplay of Shining Force Neo is very addictive the voice acting was horrendous but cliche story really killed it for me. I wanted to this game but once I completed it I basically put it down for good.

Kingdom Hearts: I don't hate the series but I'm pretty lukewarm about it. I might give it another shot.

Odin Sphere: It was a good idea, I like the background and the colors but I just couldn't get into this game either. I think I got to the 2nd story and I just quit. I might give it another try one day.

Honorable Mentions:

(Games I really like but don't consider myself favorites)
 Infinite Undiscovery: Yeah Infinite Undiscovery! Despite what people say about this game I really like it.

Chrono series

Arc the Lad series

Panzer Dragoon

Albert Odyssey Legend of Eldean

Xeno franchise: although they are hit and miss with me.

Breath of Fire III & IV

I have a huge backlog of games so this is only like a portion of my collection. XD
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:52:00 AM by xXMelancholiaXx » Logged

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 10:13:54 AM »

Suikoden 3 and Final Fantasy 6 on a worst list?  Valkyrie Profile too?  What is the world coming to?

My list of favorite games is very long and involved, and making a list of only my top favorites would be far too difficult.  All I'll say is that I really don't see what was so amazing about Chrono Trigger past it's graphics, and I'll never understand why some people think FF7 is the second coming of Christ.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 10:41:18 AM »

Dokapon and Dragon Quest V. I'll let y'all figure out which is which.
deathsaber

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 11:41:43 AM »

My fondest RPG memories were had playing:

FF4- the first JPRG with "story" i played, will never forget

FF6- take everything FF4 had, but refine it to perfection- the best game of SNES era

Skies of Arcadia- just FUN FUN FUN game- playing as swashbuckling sky pirates eager for adventure was an awesome change of pace from the usual Square-enix emo stuff

Tales of the Abyss- the best Tales game

Tales of Legendia (yes I know this isn't often loved, something just gripped me about it, maybe the simplicity, but I really enjoyed the cast in this one even if dungeons and battles were simple and repetitive)

Everything Bioware has ever made post Bauldurs Gate sans Neverwinter Night- IMO they basically single handedly brought the RPG in the modern era. 

games I despised or just never got into:

Chrono Trigger- just never took hold for me, never interested me enough to finish all the way even once. 

Star Ocean, the last hope - the most inane "futuristic" game I have ver played, with the lamest cast imaginable

Final Fantasy 12 (just none of the fun or adventure that prior games in the series, yes even 13, had.

Elder Scrolls Oblivion (enemies leveling up with you killed the game for me), random brigands mugging you outside of town that started out in rags all of a sudden show up in glass armor late game, please. 

Neverwinter Nights - just total weak sauce D&D game after Bauldurs Gate- they made it full 3d and polygon based instead of sprites and prerendered backgrounds, but then took away everything else that made Bauldurs so fun. 

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 01:28:28 PM »

All of them.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 02:31:38 PM »

All of them.

Could you be more specific, good sir?
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 04:40:09 PM »

The joke ------------->

Your head ---> O
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 06:27:07 PM »

My List:

Favorite:

• Kingdom Hearts
  • Final Fantasy V
  • Odin Sphere
  • Rogue Galaxy

Honorable Mentions

• Pokemon Gold, Paper Mario: TTYD, and the Digimon World series - for being the best RPGs I'd played before I even new what an RPG was

Least Favorites

• Valkyrie Profile - This is my anti-game. Long, drawn out cutscenes about characters I don't care about. Gameplay that's broken up into sections that all suck in their own ways instead of having a solid combination; seperate story scenes, an overworld where you're just supposed to fly around until you find something, flawed platforming sections, and combat sections that utilize the single most simplistic and boring combat system I have ever experienced. This is one of those games I wished I'd never played, but I'm glad I did, because thanks to it my standards dropped a whole 5 bars.
  • Star Ocean: Till The End of Time - It lived up to it's name. I have never played a game with more padding in in story in my entire life, and the poor pacing exasperates everything. The repetitive and unintuitive combat system, the terrible AI, the boring locales, the terrible voice acting, the broken item creation/customization system - all of it is made worse by how exceedingly long you have to put up with it all. And it never gets any better, it just gets worse.
  • Star Ocean (SFC) - You'd think I would've learned from TTET, but I didn't. I decided to give it a shot since a good fellow recommended it to me on the basis that it was his favorite SNES RPG, and the original was even better than the remake. From then on I knew never to take recommendation from him ever again. The story was dull as dishwater and poorly paced, and the battles were laughably easy and simplistic. In fact, the battle system is second only to VP as the worst I'v ever experienced. The rest of the game simply isn't worth mentioning. With that said, the remake is fantastic.
  • Final Fantasy VI - Both The story and the characters were disappointingly shallow and childish, the gameplay was unbalanced with plenty of exploitable techniques that make an easy game even easier, and there are so many sub events and mini-games that it never really feels like I'm playing a single, focused game.
  • Kingdom Hearts II - Where do I start...The story made no sense, the combat was actually reduced to press-X-until-you-win, they introduced quick time events, included more pointless mini games (though some were actually more fun than the main game), and the worlds were made more liniear, reducing the emphasis on platforming, puzzle solving, and exploration that, along with the simple yet still skill-heavy combat, made the first game such a blast to play. I have never been more disappointed in a sequel in all my life, and I hope no other game ever tops it.
  • Golden Sun
  • The entire Dragon Quest series - I don't know what it is about this series, but it's always rubbing me the wrong way, even though it should embody everything that I consider good in a JRPG. It's story is always simple adventure story, which I usually go for, but in DQ it just makes things painfully predictable and boring. The gameplay is also very difficult and in some games it offers plenty of depth to customize your characters, but the combat is so simplistic and generic that it bores me to sleep more often than not. The biggest issue seems to be the generic Medievel Fantasy world, which for one reason or another I simply don't want "to be a part of" so to speak. Maybe someday things will click for me, but right now not only do I dislike them, but I'm even annoyed at the fact that I dislike them :(
  • Super Mario RPG: The Seven Stars
  • Everything made by Mistwalker - Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, ASH, you name it, it was a disappointment. While competant games in and of themselves, it's always the execution and some arbitrary gameplay mechanic that makes battles more tedious than they should be that holds them back from being as great as they should be.
  • Tales of Vesperia - Maybe it's just because I played it right after Tales of Symphonia, but it just felt too familiar, and what was different wasn't as good. It kinda turned my off the series for a while until I went back to its roots with Tales of Phantasia and fell in love them all over again
[/size]

Pretty ballsy first post.  I have a few beefs, but only better for debate.
Kingdom Hearts as a favorite is bizarre speaking you *hated* KHII as much as to put it on a WORST list.
I personally lost interest a little more than halfway - the 2nd one at least tried to do more gameplay wise.  I do respect how you say the story "makes no sense" - that couldn't be truer.  I can't even imagine what the reference notes are like for the scenario writers.

Final Fantasy V as a *favorite* is also a pretty tall assumption.  Battle system and difficulty?  Hell yes, and the Advance version only adds to that fun.  Charming story?  I can't say I see it and I appreciate that "classic" stuff.  Butz (lol) had NO reason to involve himself, and there's little to connect with.  The story is laughable considering the final boss, and cute with the relationship our heroines have.

Odin Sphere???  Reaally?????  It's on my *like* list, certainly not *favorite*.  The story has that charm that I didn't see in FFV.  It's old-school, but in a Shakespearean/fairytale way: love, heroics, honour, magic.  Very sweet.  Broken?  Definitely.  Repetitive?  Incredibly.  Slow?  Slow down and a half!
It's hard to get the drive to start a new character.

Rogue Galaxy?  Besides the obvious gameplay issues and plot problems... I hate Jaster.  Leave it at that, I'm bored with typing.

Your worst...

Valkyrie Profile?? Really?!  
I think you missed the point.  The gameplay was wonderfully difficult, and the story was actually ABLE to be deep, despite such minor introductions to characters.  I can see how that can suck after more than one play though. but I'm surprised this is on a WORST.

I understand peoples hate for Star Ocean, ...or much of any Tri-Ace, but I wish people would get the point.  You know how some bars serve food?  It's bar food, and nothing exotic, but it serves well for the bar.
Replace bar with gameplay, and food with story.  Tri-Ace games are more about the gameplay first, then story.  This serves that crowd of Nier players who don't see anything special in gameplay, but LOVE the story.
I already traded Nier in.  I love it, but story isn't enough to keep me to a game.  I *play* video games so I can *play* something good.

I agree with Mistwalker...wow-verage. (wow+average)
And I agree entirely on Dragon Quest and hate people who love it.... x(

Super Mario RPG, I think you missed the point.  The game could be fun, and at times difficult.  Sidequests were abundant, and the timing battle system and puzzles had their charm.  To each their own - I thought it was great for SNES.  Something about hating on SNES games feels weird...they're like the ancestors who paved the way to gaming today.  SO1 maybe wasn't the best on the SNES, but it was real-time RPG combat in a nice early form.  And graphically, it was unequaled (for that system)

Hating Tales of Vesperia seems odd when you like Symphonia.  I thought Vesp was a step-up in regards to most gameplay aspects.  More to do anyways, and free-run is stupidly appreciated.

Your honourable mentions make me sad.
Pokemon is a kids series, I don't care what anyone says.  This Water Type killing Fire type in one hit is for the birds - it feels more like a good poker hand: you can't lose with the right cards/pokemon.
The extras are "cute", but I don't care to bake cakes, and dig in the ground, and collect 150 (half useless) critters).
The Digimon RPGs are a joke.  The first one was an absolute MESS to play, and haven't really outgrown catering to kids.

I digress.  I like and hate some of your opinions; all the more fun haha
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:30:49 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »

The joke ------------->

Your head ---> O

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 08:22:41 PM »

My List:

Favorite:

• Kingdom Hearts
  • Final Fantasy V
  • Odin Sphere
  • Rogue Galaxy

Honorable Mentions

Least Favorites

• Golden Sun
  • Super Mario RPG: The Seven Stars
[/size]

Pretty ballsy first post.  I have a few beefs, but only better for debate.
Kingdom Hearts as a favorite is bizarre speaking you *hated* KHII as much as to put it on a WORST list.
I personally lost interest a little more than halfway - the 2nd one at least tried to do more gameplay wise.  I do respect how you say the story "makes no sense" - that couldn't be truer.  I can't even imagine what the reference notes are like for the scenario writers.

Final Fantasy V as a *favorite* is also a pretty tall assumption.  Battle system and difficulty?  Hell yes, and the Advance version only adds to that fun.  Charming story?  I can't say I see it and I appreciate that "classic" stuff.  Butz (lol) had NO reason to involve himself, and there's little to connect with.  The story is laughable considering the final boss, and cute with the relationship our heroines have.

Odin Sphere???  Reaally?????  It's on my *like* list, certainly not *favorite*.  The story has that charm that I didn't see in FFV.  It's old-school, but in a Shakespearean/fairytale way: love, heroics, honour, magic.  Very sweet.  Broken?  Definitely.  Repetitive?  Incredibly.  Slow?  Slow down and a half!
It's hard to get the drive to start a new character.

Rogue Galaxy?  Besides the obvious gameplay issues and plot problems... I hate Jaster.  Leave it at that, I'm bored with typing.

Your worst...

Valkyrie Profile?? Really?! 
I think you missed the point.  The gameplay was wonderfully difficult, and the story was actually ABLE to be deep, despite such minor introductions to characters.  I can see how that can suck after more than one play though. but I'm surprised this is on a WORST.

I understand peoples hate for Star Ocean, ...or much of any Tri-Ace, but I wish people would get the point.  You know how some bars serve food?  It's bar food, and nothing exotic, but it serves well for the bar.
Replace bar with gameplay, and food with story.  Tri-Ace games are more about the gameplay first, then story.  This serves that crowd of Nier players who don't see anything special in gameplay, but LOVE the story.
I already traded Nier in.  I love it, but story isn't enough to keep me to a game.  I *play* video games so I can *play* something good.

I agree with Mistwalker...wow-verage. (wow+average)
And I agree entirely on Dragon Quest and hate people who love it.... x(

Super Mario RPG, I think you missed the point.  The game could be fun, and at times difficult.  Sidequests were abundant, and the timing battle system and puzzles had their charm.  To each their own - I thought it was great for SNES.  Something about hating on SNES games feels weird...they're like the ancestors who paved the way to gaming today.  SO1 maybe wasn't the best on the SNES, but it was real-time RPG combat in a nice early form.  And graphically, it was unequaled (for that system)

Hating Tales of Vesperia seems odd when you like Symphonia.  I thought Vesp was a step-up in regards to most gameplay aspects.  More to do anyways, and free-run is stupidly appreciated.

Your honourable mentions make me sad.
Pokemon is a kids series, I don't care what anyone says.  This Water Type killing Fire type in one hit is for the birds - it feels more like a good poker hand: you can't lose with the right cards/pokemon.
The extras are "cute", but I don't care to bake cakes, and dig in the ground, and collect 150 (half useless) critters).
The Digimon RPGs are a joke.  The first one was an absolute MESS to play, and haven't really outgrown catering to kids.

I digress.  I like and hate some of your opinions; all the more fun haha

I was hoping for this!:D

Kingdom Hearts I loved because it combined elements of many different gameplay styles (adventure, puzzle solving, etc.) with an action RPG, and if it weren't for that I never would've gotten into it because I hated RPGs at the time. KH2 was just an Action-RPG, or at least it felt like that's all there was to it, and that was a huge disappointment for me, and I couldn't get into the rest of the game because of it. The reduced difficulty was also big for me: I love my action games hard, and I'll always play KH games on Proud mode just because the normal difficulty bores me to no end.

Final Fantasy 5 - The story is cute and rarely takes itself seriously, which is a plus. I don't like games that try to be serious unless a really good story comes out of it.

Odin Sphere - I didn't find the game to be all that repetitive, in fact, the gameplay was very intricate and I loved it. And I've played enough shooters and old-school fighting games to be able to ignore a small issue like slowdown, especially since it never seemed to mess me up.

Rogue Galaxy - again, the story was never meant to be taken seriously, so I enjoyed it for what it was. The gameplay was solid Diablo stuff, I dunno what issues you're talking about (besides the retarded AI, but that's what the character switching's for).

Valkyrie Profile - I couldn't find a single redeeming factor in that game. The story bored me, the characters bored me, and every aspect of the gameplay bored me. I hear the battle system has depth, but I got away pretty good by just mashing buttons. It just couldn't interest me in the slightest, and after a while I just looked up the ending, which I still got bored of halfway through. To put it bluntly: This is what I get for buying a game based on its pretty cover instead of researching it beforehand. It's simply not my kind of game - it's artsy instead of simply trying to be entertaining.

Star Ocean - I learned the hard way that Tri-Aces is more about gameplay than story, and I actually loved Star Ocean: The Last Hope because gameplay-wise it improved on every single gripe I had with it. It's story and characters still sucked, but by then I stopped expecting anything more. However that doesn't change the fact that I found Star Ocean and Star Ocean: Till The End of Time to be excusciatingly boring to play, even from a gameplay-only perspective, and they were plagued by a boatload of flaws that just made them come off as failed experiments. The terrible story and drawn out pacing (at least in TTET) just exasperated those issues even more, for me, at least.

Super Mario RPG - It may have been novel in its day, but IMO, it's novelty has long worn off, and I just can't find it appeal anymore. That's not even mentioning the fact that I dislike Mario and isometric platforming, and the overall lack of difficulty in the game.

Tales of Vesperia I listed because I was running out of games I disliked and I really wanted the two lists to be an even 10/10. It was the second Tales of game I played, and I wasn't aware just how samey they can be, and it kinda put me off. Plus, I didn't like the new gameplay additions. I have no use for free-run, and I hate the evironmental hazards. The rest just seemed like same-old-same-old (which I'm now used to that and it's possible I might like ToV if I played it again).

And I only listed those Honorable mentions out of nostalgia. If I honestly went back and played those games again, I would probably hate them.XD
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:25:16 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 10:56:36 PM »

o/` I do not dream o/`

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 11:38:50 PM »

Valkyrie Profile - I couldn't find a single redeeming factor in that game. The story bored me, the characters bored me, and every aspect of the gameplay bored me. I hear the battle system has depth, but I got away pretty good by just mashing buttons. It just couldn't interest me in the slightest, and after a while I just looked up the ending, which I still got bored of halfway through. To put it bluntly: This is what I get for buying a game based on its pretty cover instead of researching it beforehand. It's simply not my kind of game - it's artsy instead of simply trying to be entertaining.

Now, this is the part I don't get.  The BEST part of Valkyrie Profile is the characters and their tragic stories/deaths.  The entire game is on long tragic play about the deaths of countless heroes, whether they were heroes of battle or just heroes in everyday life.  If you can't point to a single character's story that didn't pluck your heartstrings, I can't think of a thing in this world that could.

The battle system only gets complicated if you play on the Hard difficulty, which is the only real difficulty in the game.  When you start having to fight normal enemies that can rip you to shreds in single attacks, it becomes VERY important to know how to combo properly and make sure you get the right balance of EXP/Purple Crystals.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 11:54:37 PM »

Ahh! Arngrim! It HURTS!

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: