Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 08:54:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334682 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite and Least Favorite RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Favorite and Least Favorite RPGs  (Read 5829 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 12:06:33 AM »

Same boat here, the story of the NPCs is by far the best thing in the game.
I even read what happened to the heroes I sent to Valhalla between phases.

Shiho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXHWai-3RTk

Suo (continuation)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7coZctFN00

Also, the game can be hard at first, but once you get the system, it's OK.
*points to Youtube of owning badly last boss*
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:31:11 AM by Annubis » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 10:27:47 AM »

Valkyrie Profile - I couldn't find a single redeeming factor in that game. The story bored me, the characters bored me, and every aspect of the gameplay bored me. I hear the battle system has depth, but I got away pretty good by just mashing buttons. It just couldn't interest me in the slightest, and after a while I just looked up the ending, which I still got bored of halfway through. To put it bluntly: This is what I get for buying a game based on its pretty cover instead of researching it beforehand. It's simply not my kind of game - it's artsy instead of simply trying to be entertaining.

Now, this is the part I don't get.  The BEST part of Valkyrie Profile is the characters and their tragic stories/deaths.  The entire game is on long tragic play about the deaths of countless heroes, whether they were heroes of battle or just heroes in everyday life.  If you can't point to a single character's story that didn't pluck your heartstrings, I can't think of a thing in this world that could.

And there probably isn't. I've yet to see a game that ever has, and I've never been known for sympathy. I also never really care much for Tragedies unless the deaths are very ironic. I guess that's the part about VP's story that I disliked the most - the stories were always tragedies (Or rather, it was bunch of long cutscenes about the problems of characters that I didn't give a damn about and had no connection to). Granted, I probably should've expected that knowing the premise, but I still wouldn't like it.

On the plus side, you answered the burning question I had as to why people actually like it. I tend to forget that there are people who go for that tragic stuff, heh.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 11:33:27 AM »

Valkyrie Profile - I couldn't find a single redeeming factor in that game. The story bored me, the characters bored me, and every aspect of the gameplay bored me. I hear the battle system has depth, but I got away pretty good by just mashing buttons. It just couldn't interest me in the slightest, and after a while I just looked up the ending, which I still got bored of halfway through. To put it bluntly: This is what I get for buying a game based on its pretty cover instead of researching it beforehand. It's simply not my kind of game - it's artsy instead of simply trying to be entertaining.

Now, this is the part I don't get.  The BEST part of Valkyrie Profile is the characters and their tragic stories/deaths.  The entire game is on long tragic play about the deaths of countless heroes, whether they were heroes of battle or just heroes in everyday life.  If you can't point to a single character's story that didn't pluck your heartstrings, I can't think of a thing in this world that could.

And there probably isn't. I've yet to see a game that ever has, and I've never been known for sympathy. I also never really care much for Tragedies unless the deaths are very ironic. I guess that's the part about VP's story that I disliked the most - the stories were always tragedies (Or rather, it was bunch of long cutscenes about the problems of characters that I didn't give a damn about and had no connection to). Granted, I probably should've expected that knowing the premise, but I still wouldn't like it.

On the plus side, you answered the burning question I had as to why people actually like it. I tend to forget that there are people who go for that tragic stuff, heh.
Another thing you might want to keep in mind too. The game was based to an extent on Norse Mythology so it shouldn't be surprising that there were a lot of long stories with tragic deaths since a Valkyrie's job is to gather the soul's of fallen warriors. I'm not trying to alter your opinion of the game I'm just pointing that out. If that bothered you though, you might like Valkyrie Profile 2 better. The game is more straight forward and relies a lot less on developing tragic back stories and so forth. 

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 02:20:35 PM »

Another thing you might want to keep in mind too. The game was based to an extent on Norse Mythology so it shouldn't be surprising that there were a lot of long stories with tragic deaths since a Valkyrie's job is to gather the soul's of fallen warriors. I'm not trying to alter your opinion of the game I'm just pointing that out. If that bothered you though, you might like Valkyrie Profile 2 better. The game is more straight forward and relies a lot less on developing tragic back stories and so forth. 

I've actually never learned anything about Norse Mythology. I read up on some back when I was kid, just for some personal reading, but I can't say I remember any of it.

And I did like Valkyrie Profile 2 more, actually. I still didn't care for it, but I didn't hate it like I did with the first. The story was more enjoyable and it was easier for me to connect with the characters, but the platforming sections still sucked, and the battle system was the complete opposite extreme of VP1: It was so horribly convoluted that I couldn't wrap my head around it. I don't even want to try Covanent of the Plume, even though a few friends of mine seem to like it, and one of them considers it the best non Fire-Emblem SRPG ever (granted the fact that he likes FE so much already makes me wary).

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 03:50:59 PM »

I tried to like Valkyrie Profile, but I got burnt out on it long before I reached the end. I enjoyed watching the little tragic stories play out near the start, but after a dozen of them I just stopped caring. I felt the same way about the battle system, which felt exciting and unique at the begging but started to feel like a chore after a while.

I couldn't get into VP2 either, for mostly the same reasons as Mickey.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 04:28:14 PM »

most people i know that dont like the VP series are well.... i dont know the word for this but it would be like the male equivalent of a female feminist. VP games tend to ooze girl power and the stories tend to be on the shoujo end of the spectrum as opposed to shonnen. even though CotP has a male main his story is one of the most tragic of any VP character. seriously Ailyth plays his ass like a fiddle! and none of the endings end particularly well for him.

as for the battle system to get enjoyment out of of it you cant just sit button there mashing. in fact you will never win anything after the audola lake temple if you button jam. you need to get a certain tactical enjoyment out of the battles to enjoy them.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 04:43:15 PM »

VP games tend to ooze girl power

Wait.... wha?
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 04:52:31 PM »

VP games tend to ooze girl power

Wait.... wha?

My thoughts exactly...

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 04:57:38 PM »

I wouldn't say they "ooze with girl power" but does tend to emphasis strong female characters more so then most other RPGs. I think that's what she meant. I'm not sure. I understand where she's coming from though.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 04:59:34 PM by xXMelancholiaXx » Logged

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 05:16:07 PM »

I don't view a female lead with actual emotions 'girly'

***OMG SUPER SPOILERS*** VP LAST BOSS PRE BATTLE SCENE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2OvMq_ajr0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BqPfcF8PzQ

compared to

My definition of girl power:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GBYbk8nVjo

Sometimes it's nice to not play a silent protagonist or someone who has as much emotions as a brick (Neo from Matrix)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:19:25 PM by Annubis » Logged
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 05:31:01 PM »

Most Favourite: SMT.

Least: Too many to choose from.

btw, I recommend you go and try Dragon Quest VIII. I used to blindly hate the series too until I played that one. One of the best RPGs in the PS2 era for sure.

and Lenneth is just awesome.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 08:49:15 PM »

most people i know that dont like the VP series are well.... i dont know the word for this but it would be like the male equivalent of a female feminist. VP games tend to ooze girl power and the stories tend to be on the shoujo end of the spectrum as opposed to shonnen....

I can assure you, I don't like VP in the slightest, and I'm not like that. While I'm not the opposite either, I do usually prefer a good female protagonist, and I find most modern ideas of masculinity to be just plain silly. All I can really say about that is...the VP haters you know are just plain weird.=P

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 09:03:10 PM »

Why is it that everytime Alisha says something I really want her to go make me a sandwich?

I'm going to list off some least and favorite RPGs but I am a big fan of open-endedness so I will not be specifying which is which

Daggerfall
Final Fantasy Legend 2
SMT: Nocturne
Star Ocean 3
Wizardry 8
Phantasy Star 2
Phantasy Star 1
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
LoZ: The Ocarina of Time
The endless dread I have from waiting for spring coupled with the background knowledge that nobody gets an infinite number of springs
Legend of Mana
SaGa Frontier
Gothic 2
STALKER: Call of Pripyat
I really dread that I am empty sometimes
Terranigma
FFVI
FFIV
FFIX
Devil Summoner 2: Raidu and the Kajagoogoo
Persona 1
Oblivion
Breath of Fire 4
Ultima 7
Earthbound
Darklands
Alternate Reality: The City
Odin Sphere
Planescape: Torment
Ultima 6
Tales of Symphony
Yume Nikki
Tales of Phantasia

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 09:24:26 PM »

Few of my favorite RPGs include...

Lufia II Rise of the Sinistrals
Lunar I and II
FFVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, Tactics, V to an extent, Crystal Chronicles (all versions), and XI thought that's an MMO
KH and KHII mostly for gameplay and music
Star Ocean 2-4
Grandia 1 and 2
Xenogears, Xenosaga I and III
SaGa Frontier I and II
Super Mario RPG
Parasite Eve I and II
Chrono Trigger and Cross

There's a lot more, but if I can't remember em off hand, obviously they don't make the list. As for shit RPGs...

Xenosaga II (HORRIBLE)
Grandia III (shit)
Radiata Stories (fun at first, but man it got boring fast)
Valkyrie Profile (sorry, it's a good game, but it gets a little too into the side stories and not enough of an impact on the main story, plus a lot of the stories ended really poorly, like the couldn't figure out which way to go imo)
FFIV, XII, mystic quests, XIII(still can't even bother to pick it up, I gotta one day though), Tactics Advanced and A2 (both were sucky, keep em off the real tactics please, thx)
Phantasy Star Universe (not for what it was, but what it quickly became)

Again, more I don't like, but if I can't remember em for this list, they don't deserve to be here.

TASTY!
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2010, 09:47:13 PM »

Grandia 3 might have been a weak game, but Yuki is by far the swiftest hero I've ever seen.
Yuki + Flash + Berserker + Warp boots = major drooling

Best example I've found (the guy in the back):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAj4M4I05Wk#t=02m32s
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: