Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:24:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319179 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite and Least Favorite RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Favorite and Least Favorite RPGs  (Read 5282 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2010, 10:01:46 PM »

Few of my favorite RPGs include...

Lufia II Rise of the Sinistrals
Lunar I and II
FFVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, Tactics, V to an extent, Crystal Chronicles (all versions), and XI thought that's an MMO
KH and KHII mostly for gameplay and music
Star Ocean 2-4
Grandia 1 and 2
Xenogears, Xenosaga I and III
SaGa Frontier I and II
Super Mario RPG
Parasite Eve I and II
Chrono Trigger and Cross

There's a lot more, but if I can't remember em off hand, obviously they don't make the list. As for shit RPGs...

Xenosaga II (HORRIBLE)
Grandia III (shit)
Radiata Stories (fun at first, but man it got boring fast)
Valkyrie Profile (sorry, it's a good game, but it gets a little too into the side stories and not enough of an impact on the main story, plus a lot of the stories ended really poorly, like the couldn't figure out which way to go imo)
FFIV, XII, mystic quests, XIII(still can't even bother to pick it up, I gotta one day though), Tactics Advanced and A2 (both were sucky, keep em off the real tactics please, thx)
Phantasy Star Universe (not for what it was, but what it quickly became)

Again, more I don't like, but if I can't remember em for this list, they don't deserve to be here.

Good to see someone else liked the SaGa Frontier games besides myself.:) Xenosaga, The Lunar games and of course Grandia are pretty grand, too.

But might I ask what it was that you didn't like about FF12? I could probably guess, but I'd like to hear the real answer.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 10:11:28 PM »

But might I ask what it was that you didn't like about FF12? I could probably guess, but I'd like to hear the real answer.
Why did you have to go and open that can of worms? XD You shouldn't be surprised though. Everyone seems to hate Final Fantasy XII. I liked it though. :)

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 10:29:48 PM »

Why did you have to go and open that can of worms? XD You shouldn't be surprised though. Everyone seems to hate Final Fantasy XII. I liked it though. :)

I didn't like FFXII until I played FFXI, which is why I'm surprised seeing as how he liked FF11 too. The only complaints I ever heard were because of the combat, which is different from your usual FF fair, but familiar if you played 11. Other than that, it's a pretty great game with a few make-or-break gameplay mechanics, which is the way most people I know see it, besides those who still seem to expect some sort of consistancy out of this series.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:32:28 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 10:39:28 PM »

12 was a ludicrous piece of shit. The characters were poorly developed outside of Balthier and Fran's ass, the story sucked and went off in weird tangents, and I hate the mixed races of humans and beastmen, meanwhile you played as mostly humans. No nu mou mages, no Bangaa fighters, wtf? I hated the game, I hated the characters, and the music sucked.

That being said, I loved the gambit system. It was so well developed, I wish I liked the game more to play with it. It was a great idea, put in a shitty shell.

TASTY!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2010, 11:01:37 PM »

Man, how many friggin threads are we going to have the FFXII discussion in?  It's a very divisive game, let's leave it at that.

P.S.: I liked it.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2010, 11:28:33 PM »

12 was a ludicrous piece of shit. The characters were poorly developed outside of Balthier and Fran's ass, the story sucked and went off in weird tangents, and I hate the mixed races of humans and beastmen, meanwhile you played as mostly humans. No nu mou mages, no Bangaa fighters, wtf? I hated the game, I hated the characters, and the music sucked.

That being said, I loved the gambit system. It was so well developed, I wish I liked the game more to play with it. It was a great idea, put in a shitty shell.

Huh. I didn't even pay any attention to the story. I just saw it as FFXI without a subscription and Final Fantasy Tactics elements to make up for the lack of an online party. I just skipped every cutscene and focused on leveling my characters and completing my missions/quests. I'm just surprised you'd hate a game solely for it's stiory when you thought the gameplay was fun, especially since you've already listed a few games where gameplay was by far the most appealing aspect, and the story was negligible at best.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 11:46:43 PM »

FFXII

Gameplay

Fun

Wait, what universe are we in again? Is this the one with the cowboy hats?  It's certainly not the sane normal universe.

FFIV, XII, mystic quests, XIII

Bah.  Mystic Quest is an amazing game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UX94DCn6BU&feature=related

LISTEN TO THAT MUSIC.  LISTEN TO IT AND REPENT.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2010, 11:52:52 PM »

FFIV, XII, mystic quests, XIII

Bah.  Mystic Quest is an amazing game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UX94DCn6BU&feature=related

LISTEN TO THAT MUSIC.  LISTEN TO IT AND REPENT.

IMO, the battle, boss and final battle themes were better than FFIII, IV, VII, IX, and X (off the top of my head).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2010, 12:03:21 AM »

Don't forget Lava Dome.  I love that song so much.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2010, 03:54:08 AM »

Don't forget Lava Dome.  I love that song so much.

Best song in that game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcHl_MD-srA

And listen to this cover which is even awesomer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKtWjL0SNnk

Shoji Meguro vibes.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »

That's how I've always heard the song in my head.

Srsly people, Mystic Quest is the best Final Fantasy game.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2010, 07:05:06 PM »

True story. I thought FF: MQ was nearly great except the unavoidable battle sort of bugged the hell out of me.

But uh, yeah. It's my favorite SNES FF. Although I kind of like FF5 but never played it much because it seemed WAY too easy.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2010, 07:09:42 PM »

MQ was fun. I never beat it because of that damn ice cave bug or whatever. But I enjoyed it. A friend gave it to me so I can't say I wasted money on it. :P

I haven't played an FF since X-2. Uh, unless you count VI on the GBA. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2010, 07:39:34 PM »

I saw the spider, and spent 3 minutes looking for an octopus in the final battle of Wanderers from Ys.  I gave up, checked the Mystic Quest video and saw the octopus legs I was looking for.

Basically, I'd remember FFMQ as well as any other FF if it were numbered.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
RPGRocker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2010, 12:01:10 AM »

No random battles
Save anywhere
Party AI
puzzles
Zelda "tools"
jumping (!)

People forget how much Mystic Quest brought to RPGs.

My favorites:

Terranigma
Vagrant Story
Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter
SMT: Nocturne
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Lunar 2
SaGa Frontier 2

Least favorite:

Deadly Towers
Hydlide
Secret of the Stars