Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 09:56:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329393 Posts in 13492 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite and Least Favorite RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Favorite and Least Favorite RPGs  (Read 5568 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2010, 01:38:58 AM »

Orphen

When they call the game flawed in the product description on Amazon, I can only imagine how bad it really is. XD

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2010, 01:42:23 AM »

Orphen

When they call the game flawed in the product description on Amazon, I can only imagine how bad it really is. XD
I got Orphen back when the Playstation 2 first launched and let me tell you and it's definitely one of the worst games I've ever played. Calling it flawed is an understatement.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 01:56:58 AM by xXMelancholiaXx » Logged

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2010, 01:47:22 AM »

+

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Lunar : The Silver Star / Eternal Blue (Sega CD)
Growlanser 2: The Sense of Justice
Dragon Force
Digital Devil Saga
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

-
Magna Carta: Tears of Blood
Rhapsody [DS Remake; the PS1 version is wonderful.]

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2010, 07:44:15 AM »

Suikoden Series (Individually I love the games but the small things that connect them make me enjoy them all the more)
Digital Devil Saga
Final Fantasy 6 (may be slightly overrated but it is my favourite Final Fantasy by far)
Ar Tonelico
Mana Khemia
Atelier Iris
Guardian Crusade (It may just be me being nostalgic but I love this game. I also love the opening music to it)
Dragon Warrior/Quest VII (The graphics may have been basic but I loved this game)

Dislike
Astonishia Story (This is one of the few games I just outright disliked. The sequel was a huge improvement)
Nostalgia (I will probably give this game another chance in the future but there was something about it that just turned me off)

Disappointing
Mimana Iyar Chronicles
Kingdom hearts 358/2 days (Made me swear to myself never to eat another icecream)
Suikoden Tierkreis (As an rpg I really liked this game but as a Suikoden it did not feel right)
Cladun This is an RPG

Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2010, 12:05:17 PM »

Loved:
Bards Tale 1 (Amstrad CPC)
Wizardry 6 - Bane of the Cosmic Forge (Amiga)
Pools of Darkness (Amiga)
Suikoden 1,2 and 5
Valkyrie Chronicles
Dragon Age: Origins
FF VII
Fallout 1
X-Com 1
Disgaea 1
Rebelstar: Tactical Command

Not so much:
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy XII
Bards Tale 3
Oblivion
Pools of Radiance
Neverwinter Nights

Meh, a few there that I don't think will crop up often in these lists...

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2010, 12:16:42 PM »

<3

Shining Force II
FFT: War of the Lions
Chrono Trigger
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Bowser's Inside Story (and any Mario RPG pretty much, love the entire series)

</3 (ones that I actually completed)

Wild ARMs 4
Onimusha Tactics (lol... why did I play this?)

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2010, 04:55:44 AM »

I just remembered a few more least favorites that definitely deserve to be on the top of the list, and I assume I forgot them on purpose:

• Final Fantasy (GBA/PSP) - As much as I love Final Fantasy for the NES, it hasn't aged well, yet I still found that its old-school quirks made it interesting to play even to this day. Take those out, however, and then you're left with a very basic RPG that's the very definition of generic. Combine that with a laughable lack of difficulty, and then you have an utterly pointless game, and it just doesn't get any worse than that without being utterly broken...actually, even a broken game can at least be played for laughs.=P
  • Infinite Undiscovery - It's just an utterly generic and tedious game, and few other games have ever felt like a greater waste of time. Not to mention it's the least addicting Dungeon Crawler I've ever played. Not much else to say, though. It's not so much bad as it is painfully generic.

Honorable Mention:

• Most Western RPGs - I'm not really sure why, but I just find the whole genre unappealing outside of a few cases. I didn't want to list any because at the end of the day, I dislike them all for the same reason: They're just not my style.

Actually, that's all I got, since the other ones I was thinking of were eother tactical RPGs or were only bad once I got halfway through and screwed myself over.=P

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2010, 01:40:17 PM »

Infinite Undiscovery is a dungeon crawler??? In any event, I think Infinite Undiscovery is yet another case of an early HD game that people don't like because they were expecting a next generation game not just in the graphics department. I liked it for what it was - a pretty straightforward JRPG with fun combat system.
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2010, 02:02:38 PM »

Ooo I love lists =D

Favs:

Xenogears - Awesome story AND giant robots!
Chrono Trigger - Started my obsession with the genre
Final Fantasy VI - Reinforced my obsession with the genre
Fina Fantasy X - Awesome story yadda yadda yadda
Grandia- This was a sleeper hit for me, got it as a present, looked unappealing but then I played it =D
Lunar - Just awesomely old school
Shadowrun - Genesis version -  Love the cyberpunk

Least Favs:

Grandia II - Dissapointing after the first, and felt too short
Shadow Madness - Didn't play to much into this one but just, ugh
Jade Cocoon - Not a fan of monster collecting (Though I just gave the SMT series a shot and it's growin' on me big time)
Oblivion - Gives me ADD, too much side stuff to do makes me feel like I'm neglecting the "real" game, which was mediocre
Fallout 3 - Gave me a FPS instead of the RPG I was looking for

Tactical RPGs I'm normally not a fan of, but I still try one out from time to time.  I just don't like how they're usually chapter based, I like to explore.

I'm another that generally doesn't get into WRPGs.  It's the style for me too.  More of the art style really.  They're mostly fantasy, and the Arthurian/Tolkien-esque style fantasy which I just find kinda meh.  I know everyone thinks the sci-fi/fantasy combination is overused now, but it's still my favorite setting.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2010, 02:25:30 PM »

Infinite Undiscovery is a dungeon crawler??? In any event, I think Infinite Undiscovery is yet another case of an early HD game that people don't like because they were expecting a next generation game not just in the graphics department. I liked it for what it was - a pretty straightforward JRPG with fun combat system.

Dungeon Crawler because I spent too much time in the dungeons.=P I only rented it a while back, so I probably don't remember much else. I think you're right in your assumption about people being disappointed that it's not something new and interesting, but even for what it is, Infinite Undiscovery was a game that bored the crap out of me, plain and simple.

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2010, 03:43:24 PM »

The Good

Final Fantasy VII: This was the first JRPG I played. Needless to say, since I played it back in 1999, I was hooked. The characters were great, the world was huge, and there was always something else to do when your rag-tag band of eco-terrorists turned world-saviors needed a break from chasing Sephiroth. I almost feel like tracking down a PSX to play this again.

Lunar: SSSC - Probably the best cookie cutter, "let's gather some friends and save the world" RPG to date. This game distills all the charm of the genre into a sleek (for its time) package. The animated cut scenes are incredible, the voice-acting doesn't suck, and the game is actually difficult. Not to mention, Vane is probably one of my favorite locales in a game ever.

Legend of Mana: This game got a bad rap when it came out, but between the graphics, the gameplay, and the open-endedness, I don't why this doesn't make more peoples' lists. It was fun to track the different NPCs as you got new locations and completed quests. Also, non-MMO multiplayer always gets points when it's handled well.

Honorable Mention:

Dark Cloud 2: The downfall was that the dungeons were way too fucking long. Had they been shorter, I might've finished it (Imade it close to the end but I couldn't take another dungeon with 20+ levels).

The Bad

Final Fantasy VIII: Maybe it was the expectations I had for it after VII, but I hated the draw system. I hated Squall. I hated the story. I hated pretty much everything about this game.

Suikoden III: I was psyched to finally get a chance to play this game after reading about the others. What a disappointment. I hated the character designs. I hated the battles. There was nothing that made me want to play this series ever again.

Dishonorable Mention

Sword of Mana: I grabbed this game the day it was released expecting to fall in love with it the way I did with Legend of Mana, but it just wasn't the same. The battle system was mostly intact, but the story was terribly linear and the variety of sidequets just weren't there. Still, the gameplaydid keep me playing until the end, which means they did something right.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2010, 05:42:18 PM »

Ooo I love lists =D

Favs:

Xenogears - Awesome story AND giant robots!
Chrono Trigger - Started my obsession with the genre
Final Fantasy VI - Reinforced my obsession with the genre
Fina Fantasy X - Awesome story yadda yadda yadda
Grandia- This was a sleeper hit for me, got it as a present, looked unappealing but then I played it =D
Lunar - Just awesomely old school
Shadowrun - Genesis version -  Love the cyberpunk

Least Favs:

Grandia II - Dissapointing after the first, and felt too short
Shadow Madness - Didn't play to much into this one but just, ugh
Jade Cocoon - Not a fan of monster collecting (Though I just gave the SMT series a shot and it's growin' on me big time)
Oblivion - Gives me ADD, too much side stuff to do makes me feel like I'm neglecting the "real" game, which was mediocre
Fallout 3 - Gave me a FPS instead of the RPG I was looking for

Tactical RPGs I'm normally not a fan of, but I still try one out from time to time.  I just don't like how they're usually chapter based, I like to explore.

I'm another that generally doesn't get into WRPGs.  It's the style for me too.  More of the art style really.  They're mostly fantasy, and the Arthurian/Tolkien-esque style fantasy which I just find kinda meh.  I know everyone thinks the sci-fi/fantasy combination is overused now, but it's still my favorite setting.

Yeah, I greatly dislike the settings and art-style in most Western RPGs. It's just so bland and overused. I also don't care for Sci-fi/fantasy, but that's mostly because the Star Ocean and Phantasy Star series left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth towards them, and obviously there are exceptions, provided its done well. I generally prefer modern settings and post-apocalyptic settings, though there aren't that many games go for that unfortunately. However, I can get over a lame setting, provided the story and gameplay are solid, and that's where I find most WRPGs fail, at least according to my tastes.

In fact, now that I think about it, there are at least 10 western RPGs: Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Planescape: Torment, Diablo, Albion, Torchlight, and of course, The old school games that inspired JRPGs(Ultima, Wizardry, Might & Magic, Bard's Tale). I also enjoyed the demo of Eschalon, and I'm sure I'd like Shadowrun for the Genesis once I play it. Maybe someday I'll find more games like those.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2010, 05:56:34 AM »

Favourites:

Final Fantasy VI, VII, IX and X
Chrono Trigger
Tales of Symphonia
Skies of Arcadia
Dragon Quest VIII
Terranigma
Breath of Fire III and IV
Valkyrie Profile

Least Favourites:
Nearly every Pokemon game from Gen 3 onwards - They just aren't creative enough.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - The Law System killed me.
Final Fantasy X-2 - Horrid, horrid plot. Average soundtrack. Was a pointless game.
The Last Remnant - I couldn't get into this one. I just couldn't. Not to mention a bloody confusing battle system.

That is all I can think of right now.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2010, 10:46:17 AM »

I personally found the FF Tactics series more irritating than fun and challenging by throwing constant obstacles at you.  Law was one thing, but one decider in a number of matches was the fact my shitty black mages were good at hitting my guys, and 3 turns later, all enemies left what the mages were hitting.  Mages in general took way too long to do anything.

Last Remnant was a sad waste of a good effort.  The music was top-notch, I almost feel bad for the composers wasting tunes.  The battles took way too long and figuring out what to do was a pain in the ass and not worth the effort by the time you'd put the game down.  Though, credit where it's due: omg, a JRPG heroine without BANGS!!

If there is ANY SNES game that needs a (good) remake is Terranigma.  The game has an awesome story, even by today's standards, IMO.  SOmewhat detached, but stays strongs and quite shocking.

I loved Breath of Fire IV.  Nothing too complex, gameplay was - but it told a great story and knew how to do it.  BoFIII unraveled a mystery that expanded into something quite bizarre.  I'm pretty sure we all knocked a star off for the desert part though haha

I admired what Skies of Arcadia did for the RPG genre...something oddly never repeated...  BUT that's only in terms of exploration, IMO.  I thought that battle system sucked by the end.  You could repeat techniques that would ensure victory, and by the end, the ship battles have items that COMPLETELY restore HP and are easily affordable by then.

I almost feel my intellegence is being insulted when I see Pokemon fans, because I have no idea why the games are so loved.  THe battle system hasn't evolved into anything passed "mind-numbing", and the extra features they've added....like baking...and digging for fossils... are barely earth-shattering.  The game story never changed other than the fact there's more of these fuckers, and 3 rare ones, to collect.  Oh, except for the 3 title of a set, where they throw some curve ball in the shape of a minor story.  PKMN Blk/Wht look pretty, but I'd be surprised if it broke the mold.

Tales of Symphonia, if not most Tales games, beautifully dress up characters into some of the most interesting the JRPG genre can swing at you.  I've always loved their perks, quirks and complexities - each usually with their own story arc.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2010, 11:06:55 AM »

Loved

Bard's Tale series (C64)
Wasteland (C64)
Pools of Radiance and the rest of the SSI Goldbox games (C64)

Suikoden series
SMT series - On consoles, these two are my hands down favourites.
Grandia
Chrono Cross
Legend of Mana - I really liked the approach of a short story anthology that this game took. Combat is a little basic, but it had enough style to totally win me over. Totally underrated.
FF 9 & 10
Shadow Hearts - of the three games, this one is my favourite because it's still somewhat horror based

Least favourites
Fallout 3 - I liked the game, however it doesn't actually *work* so it sucks

Tales series - Most generic, annoying RPG series out there

Legend of Legaia - Awful, just awful

Xenosaga II - Liked the first disc, but the second disc is such a chore to get through, I couldn't even finish it.

Vagrant Story - I've tried going through this game about six times. I find the combat repetitive and uninteresting, the music non-descript and the graphics just dull.

FF 12 - A long, slow, boring slog with a bunch of characters I didn't care about and a bunch of villains I couldn't keep track of or care less about. Having to change your combat setup before every different type of villain is extremely tedious. Also has the worst soundtrack of the series.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:09:30 AM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: