Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 02:03:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329378 Posts in 13492 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  This is so like what I'd say about making games, its sad
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: This is so like what I'd say about making games, its sad  (Read 1378 times)
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2010, 05:43:06 PM »

The sad truth
I've said most of this before, hell even the I'm not bitter part. lol ><

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVQM6RJfK4U

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 06:37:33 PM »

From the stories I've heard you tell, along with what I've glimpsed from devs at E3, there's not a lot "fun" about making games, unless you're in command. The programmers are treated like shit, as are the artists and level designers.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 09:41:12 PM »

This is why I'm not working in the game industry. I love games, but I don't want to see the ugly side of it.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 12:30:05 AM »

Unless you're totally fine with character/environment/UI designs, 3D modeling, or programming (that includes studying different languages or even studying architectures of a system), you're not suited for developing games.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:29:35 AM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 12:43:11 AM »

It's not that hard. I learned all that stuff in college. More and more colleges have classes about all of those too nowadays.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 12:49:20 AM »

It's not hard alright, but it all comes down to actually liking it or getting any motivation to do it.

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 12:54:08 AM »

and being ok with a crap salary...
I have lots of study buddies who DID go in the game industry and seriously, the pay is really awful (and most of the time, no health benefit whatsoever).
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 01:00:12 AM »

and being ok with a crap salary...
I have lots of study buddies who DID go in the game industry and seriously, the pay is really awful (and most of the time, no health benefit whatsoever).

this's surprising considering that things like voice acting (generally a talent instead of a skill) pays really well and often requires little to no training.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 01:03:23 AM »

this's surprising considering that things like voice acting (generally a talent instead of a skill) pays really well and often requires little to no training.

Can't say about voice acting, everyone I know is either a programmer or a 3D modeller.
I assume you need to be popular for voice acting to be worth it.
Yuri Lowental might be rich, but the girl doing extra character female #3 is probably working another job to meet ends.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 02:04:27 AM »

Unless you're totally fine with character/environment/UI designs, 3D modeling, and programming (that includes studying different languages or even studying architectures of a system), you're not suited for developing games.

Unless you are talking about a small indy project the people doing character design are not the same people doing programming.  'And' is not the right word there.

ULTROS!
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 05:30:49 AM »

Grammar nazi. :P

I really respect the indie devs though, especially the one who did the touhou series (a one man team).

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 09:52:37 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lOfE2I7aCk

There's other video uploaded.
Perley
Gunslinger Extraordinare

You feelin' lucky, punk

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 10:25:45 AM »

I'm kind of in Annubis's camp. I've learned about it and read all kinds of things on it, mainly because I wanted to do a coop term at Ubisoft. It seems like a cool job, but I wouldn't want to ruin the experience of playing games by having to sit as desk for low ass pay, long hours to program all day. I love programming but only if I get pain a lot do it. Though I'm not sure if it would be different working in Canada. The game companies here would be under a totally different set of federal labour laws. So maybe it wouldn't be so bad to work and Ubisoft in Montreal. Either way I'm loving the mobil industry right now and I'll probably end up working for RIM for a few years.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »

The only thing you need to do to make money making games is to make games.

This is why you don't work for a game company. you don't make games there. You make small *components* of games. But no actual games.

If you want to make money making games, do what Notch did.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 05:23:44 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lOfE2I7aCk

There's other video uploaded.

Lol those are Zynga quotes the interviewer is using :P

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: