Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:35:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334816 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Triggers and Crosses, the wonderful and horrible universe of the Chrono series.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Triggers and Crosses, the wonderful and horrible universe of the Chrono series.  (Read 9072 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 12:01:48 AM »

I loved Chrono Cross.

Most people who have problems with the story simply didn't understand it.

This pretty much.  Almost the entire plot is explained to you in very simple English if you talk to the ghosts in Chronopolis.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 12:37:58 AM »

I think the article writer understood the story just fine, but he hated the ending and the gameplay.

I don't really agree with him that Chrono Cross is just an above-average RPG on its own. I think I'm among a minority that considers it far better than Chrono Trigger despite its flaws.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 12:50:57 AM »

I think it's a great game on its own. It just suffered a lot of backlash from let-down Chrono Trigger fans. It does have its own problems regardless of any connection to CT (or lack thereof), but I personally enjoyed it. I've been wanting to re-play it for a while, but my copy is in storage.

When looking at CT and CC individually, I find them difficult to compare. They're too different.

As for the story - once I did the last part of the game a couple of times (I bought a PSOne after the PSX died) then no, understanding it wasn't hard. The first time around, it got confusing mostly because they threw a lot of crap at you at once. (Note: I had the same problem with Xenogears the first time as well but it's still my favorite PSOne game.) It makes sense after the second time, but was still an ...interesting story.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 01:15:25 AM »

Now, now, the game wasn't TOO easy.  I remember a few issues.
THat stupid sun boss in Fort Dragonia was annoying.  The robo in Chronopolis killed me a number of times with it's (more or less) one hit killer (I didn't find enough 'revives' first playthrough), and I remember the Dragons causing problems (let alone trying to steal their "plates" and fighting the Black Dragon).

The game IS too easy when:
a) you don't save Kid and get Glen - you will win for a while
b) you fight Dario and get the 2nd einzlander (sp) - the game then becomes unfair for the enemies
c) you get the mastermune - you have technically beat the game without beating it yet.

I thought the key to actually getting the (more or less) proper ending...
Code:
save Schala from the Time Devourer
...was hard to figure out on your own and somewhat impractical in terms of how to actually win it (def, def, def, def, def, def, lvl1 spell water, lvl1 spell fire, etc. [seriously]).  I consulted GameFaqs myself.

I completely agree on the other hand : these two games are too different to be compared. 
Makes you wonder if people would like FF13 more if not for the FF attached to it's name.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 02:50:03 AM »

I loved Chrono Cross.

Most people who have problems with the story simply didn't understand it.

This man speaks truth.

Its a very simple story of a man named Belthasar who is a dick. Why is he a dick? Because he's trying to play a Xanatos Roulette with time, space, two different civilizations, and so many coincidences all for the sake of the formation of a new element that can surgically remove his beloved princess from some fuzion-ha'd monstrosity chillin' in the wastebasket of time.

Or at least according to the five or so walls 'o' text situated within the last two hours and dungeons in the game. The rest has fuck all to do with anything not related to boring fetch quests or hamfisting environmental messages down players throats about the atrocities of the people of El Nido against nature with their fishing poles, and their bone implements, and their slacker attitudes.

That said, CC was and still is a beautiful game, both visually and audibly (save for that awful battle music and the crap playing through SS Zebess), with 2 of the more inspired locals in JRPG history, and a battle system that was almost elegant save for the fact that there were 44 playable characters available without anything really distinguishing them from each other aside from their element, their stats, a line or two, maybe a specialized tech or two, and an awful accent generation chip.

4. The green text in Dice's post freaked my cat the fuck out.

Was your cat a cat before he was transformed into a cat?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »

4. The green text in Dice's post freaked my cat the fuck out.

Was your cat a cat before he was transformed into a cat?

I'm sorry. =(

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Alan_01987

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 03:22:08 PM »

Chrono Trigger remains the definitive Japanese RPG. It encapsulaes everything about the genre that ever made it worthwhile and sidesteps the excesses, identity crises, and creative congealment that have come to stigmatize console RPGs as some of the most maligned and stagnant games of recent years. If I were to recommend a single console RPG for the most casual or novice gamer I knew, the words "Final Fantasy" wouldn't cross my mind for even a second.
It is definitive because it is casual game ! what the ?
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 04:09:31 PM »

I've never been able to finish Trigger, but I finished Cross twice.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »

Chrono Trigger remains the definitive Japanese RPG. It encapsulaes everything about the genre that ever made it worthwhile and sidesteps the excesses, identity crises, and creative congealment that have come to stigmatize console RPGs as some of the most maligned and stagnant games of recent years. If I were to recommend a single console RPG for the most casual or novice gamer I knew, the words "Final Fantasy" wouldn't cross my mind for even a second.
It is definitive because it is casual game ! what the ?

He's saying he can recommend it even to the uninitiated. I know that personally, Chrono Trigger was the game that made me realize that Turn-based RPGs can still be interesting, and that was when I first played it a few years ago. This is certainly a game that can appeal to a wide range of tastes, and it's probably the least confusing RPG I played that didn't just get boring within the first few hours.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 04:55:13 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »

He's saying he can recommend it even to the uninitiated. I know that personally, Chrono Trigger was the game that made me realize that Turn-based RPGs can still be interesting, and that was when I first played it a few years ago.

This. It's easy to pick up and play even for JRPG n00bs. My first RPG was Super Mario RPG, and while I loved it, it didn't turn me onto the genre. Chrono Trigger definitely did though.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 06:32:06 PM »

He's saying he can recommend it even to the uninitiated. I know that personally, Chrono Trigger was the game that made me realize that Turn-based RPGs can still be interesting, and that was when I first played it a few years ago.

This. It's easy to pick up and play even for JRPG n00bs. My first RPG was Super Mario RPG, and while I loved it, it didn't turn me onto the genre. Chrono Trigger definitely did though.

Heh, funnily enough, Super Mario RPG was the first RPG I played, too. Or at least the first traditional one. A friend of mine convinced me to play it, and I enjoyed it, but I still didn't think too highly of the genre. Then he got me to play Chrono Trigger, and that game changed my mind pretty quick.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 06:58:23 PM »

Yeah.. I saw Mario RPG at the video store and rented it because it's Mario. My friend, meanwhile, was renting CT at the same time and convinced me to try it (while I got her to play Mario RPG). That's when we realized.. oh em gee, these are similar, but we both agreed we liked CT more. And then we sought out more RPGs. :) Spending your last year of high school marathoning CT and FF play sessions together = win.

I think that while Mario RPG's gameplay was great, it was just too 'cute.' And then CT made me realize that this genre is not all like that. The graphics are still my favorite of that era, too.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 07:00:35 PM »

Chrono Trigger sucks, but at least it sucks memorably.  I don't even remember what Chrono Cross was about, but I remember liking it. :P

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 07:03:18 PM »

I remember never playing a Squaresoft game to completion since (including) Chrono Cross.  

I think some of us were "cross" with that Chrono game, LAWL

edit: For real though, Chrono Cross and FF9 were the games I couldn't finish for some reason.  I quit playing them, and then came back later.  I wondered if I was getting old at this time (age 16).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:07:22 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 07:05:56 PM »

I'm in the same boat as Starmongoose.  I have never finished Chrono Trigger.  I've finished Chrono Cross at least twice...though I think it may be more.  God damn do I love that game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: