Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 01:48:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334510 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Xbox 360 questions...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Xbox 360 questions...  (Read 2215 times)
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2010, 07:15:06 PM »

There's a PS3 thread, so why not one for Xbox.  Anyway, I was recently given a bit of cash, and decided why not be a little bit spend thrifty and consider getting an Xbox360.  I chose this because they have refurbished Xboxes at Gamestop for $120 which I could consider sparing.  So as to my questions...

The refurbished xboxes don't come with Hard drives, but I will absolutely never use it for online/DLC or anything of that sort.  Do game saves take up a lot of space?  I hear that xboxes now support flash drives and I'd much rather use the flash drives I have lying around than drop cash on a Hard Drive.

And finally, what game should I buy with it?  I'm trying to not spend more than $150-60 total if I can manage so I'm looking at an RPG in the $20-30 range.  I'm eyeing Star Ocean 4 and Tales of Vesperia, but would like some other opinions.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 07:22:06 PM »

A hard drive really is recommended anyway, if only for game installs. Though, if you insist on going HDD-less I'd wait until refurbished core/arcade/whatever Xbox 360 slims are out, they have 4 gigs of memory on board and that's more than enough to get you through.

If you do get it now though, then I recommend just about any major western RPG from the last several years. Mass Effect 1 and 2 are both pretty cheap now, I bet you could find Fallout 3: GotY for a reasonable price and you definitely should for Oblivion, and Fable II's pretty buggy and short but fun. When it comes to JRPGs, well, Vesperia's your best bet, followed by the Mistwalker games.

Edit: Needed to clarify major, stuff like Two Worlds really should be ignored.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:25:13 PM by Eusis » Logged
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »

Eww, don't play Oblivion on a fucking console. :P  Modding makes that game about ten times greater than it is out of the box.

If you absolutely must have a JRPG, Nier and Resonance of Fate are the only ones I give a shit about.  I know Nier is pretty cheap these days, but I don't know about RoF.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 07:31:07 PM »

Are you interested in getting non RPGs too? ie. Devil May Cry 4, Bayonetta, stuff like that is pretty cheap too I think. Especially DMC4. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 07:50:40 PM »

Buy the first Dead Rising, it's not bad and is pretty cheap also. And Bayonetta on the 360 is the version you want to play.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 11:08:52 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  Completely forgot about Fallout 3 and that is well high on the list.  Mass Effect 2 as well.  I already beat Mass Effect 1 at my friend's place.  Oblivion and Morrowind and stuff like that doesn't appeal to me, nor do the DMC/Bayonetta type games.  I also don't only want JRPGs, I just have a strong like of Star Ocean and Tales series and really want to get my hands on those.  I also need to get my hands on Bioshock.  

Yeah I think it's not worth waiting for the new xbox just because I have an 8 gig stick and it seems like that would be good enough since I doubt the new one would be as cheap (and cheap is really the selling point here, or I'd probably go with a PS3).  Then again, I'm not planning on getting this thing right this moment so maybe one will spring up by the time I go and get it.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 11:23:54 PM »

I have a few games on that console but most are generally thought of as being average/shitty games (idea factory)
Infinite Undiscovery is the closest one I have that most people would think is remotely good

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 01:10:54 AM »

I swore I'd never get DLC or xbla games even though I had a 60gb model.

It's now jammed.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 01:23:47 AM »

I downloaded Guilty Gear X2 Reload awhile back. It's pretty much just Guilty Gear X2 with a few extra but still a worthwhile game none the less. As far as the XBox 360 goes it's a really good console (when it's working of course) and has a lot of variety. Unfortunately you'll have to import if you want to get the most out of it. Another unfortunate problem is that most XBox 360 games are region locked so you have to purchase a Japanese XBox 360 to purchase any games you import. Some good news is that there are some games are actually region free but they are few and far between.

RPGs:

Final Fantasy XIII
Tales of Vesperia
Eternal Sonata
Infinite Undiscovery
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Resonance of Fate
Record of Agarest War
Star Ocean: Last Hope

Shoot'em ups:

Deathsmiles
Deathsmiles IIX (import)
Espgaluda II (Region Free) (import)

Visual Novels:

Steins;Gate (import)
Time Leap (import)
Clannad (import)
Chaos;Head (import)

Rhyme game:

Idolmaster (import) <-- Want this so bad.

Dating Sim:

Dream C Club (import)

Those are some of the games I know off the top of my head. But I'm sure there are more.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 01:54:53 AM by xXMelancholiaXx » Logged

Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 05:30:15 PM »

I recommend Mass Effect 2 and Fallout 3

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 05:39:53 PM »

Not playing Mass Effect 1 and 2 while having an xbox would be a huge crime.

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 05:46:54 PM »

Not playing Mass Effect 1 and 2 while having an xbox would be a huge crime.
Well I guess I'm guilty than. :)

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 05:56:01 PM »

How imperative is it to play ME1 before 2 by the way?

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »

About as important as is possible without making the original an outright requirement. Especially if you want to play a good character.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 06:04:16 PM »

Not really but for me the main story is better in ME1. The music in 1 is also better, but it's great in both.

The problem with 1 is there are a lot of generic driving around parts to the game. You land on a world that looks mostly the same as 50 other in the game and find a hideout that's set up almost exactly the same as 50 other in the game.

However all of that usually involves side quests that you can avoid if you wish. The main levels are all unique. I like the galaxy map better in me1

If you like sci-fi soundtracks you'll love these games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCfYHd-9Szw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JJHkRMm2N0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye31ZhLDFUw&feature=related

ME2 has better polish but ME1 has a lot of good shit going for it. But in short if you don't want to play it then it's not necessary for ME2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATIFjrjXgNw&feature=related
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:07:33 PM by Yoda » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: