Author Topic: RPGs for beginners

OkamiGeisha

• View Profile
Re: RPGs for beginners
« Reply #480 on: April 11, 2011, 03:34:59 PM »
(This is assuming that there are still people who haven't played the game lol)

I'm guilty!

I've liked FF for a long time but actually missed a lot from 1996-1998.  I was out of the country for much of that time for school and work.  I might get around to now since I beat 13 and nothing new interests me right now.   

Legaia

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 11, 2011, 04:33:26 PM »
(This is assuming that there are still people who haven't played the game lol)

I'm guilty!

I've liked FF for a long time but actually missed a lot from 1996-1998.  I was out of the country for much of that time for school and work.  I might get around to now since I beat 13 and nothing new interests me right now.   

I think you'll like FFVII better than FFXIII because you actually get to explore :P

MGShogun

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 12, 2011, 04:13:28 PM »
Play Dragoon for a little bit but didn't get far.

Few people on FB were begging me to play WoW again but I dunno.

I kinda like single player RPGs because I don't have to worry about leveling up to keep pace with my friends or force to reroll the toon just to appease my friends. Also, RPGs will be there when I come back and nothing will change so I don't have to worry about RPGs being brutally nerfed. Also, I grow to care for the characters in RPGs more than I do for NPCs in WoW.

For my quick online fix, I'll play couple of matches in Starcraft 2 but that's about it.

Seultoria

• 시발놈
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 12, 2011, 04:40:38 PM »
For my quick online fix, I'll play get destroyed in a couple of matches by Koreans in Starcraft 2 but that's about it.

I feel the same way about you with MMORPGs. I like them, but hate the MMO part lol.

Commander Jubby Shepard

• What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.
  • If you come back you will find me a very grave man
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 12, 2011, 06:22:15 PM »
I'm not entirely sure what you've played (I only looked at a few of pages of this thread), but if you don't mind GBA games, I think Riviera: The Promised Land is a great RPG for beginners. It's also a great way to open yourself to visual novels. If you're looking for some more strategic games, Final Fantasy Tactics (the ones for GBA and DS) aren't too difficult.
If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.

MGShogun

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 12, 2011, 07:47:39 PM »
For my quick online fix, I'll play get destroyed in a couple of matches by Koreans in Starcraft 2 but that's about it.

I feel the same way about you with MMORPGs. I like them, but hate the MMO part lol.

Hahaha at you editing my comment about Starcraft 2. But it's cool. I don't consider myself to be that good of a player but I usually play with friends for lulz or team up with other people against AI. MMO is the part that frustrated me because it's all about endgame and no one is taking their time to enjoy the journey. Plus, I don't feel like I wanna pay 15 per month anymore. For that price, I can get used game off of ebay for my PS2.

MGShogun

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 12, 2011, 07:50:10 PM »
I'm not entirely sure what you've played (I only looked at a few of pages of this thread), but if you don't mind GBA games, I think Riviera: The Promised Land is a great RPG for beginners. It's also a great way to open yourself to visual novels. If you're looking for some more strategic games, Final Fantasy Tactics (the ones for GBA and DS) aren't too difficult.

So far, Kingdom Hearts is only game that I actually beat, although I did have lot of assistance from someone else. I have dabbled in FFVII, FFIX, FFX, Persona 3, and The Legend of Dragoon so far. I'm focusing on Dragoon at the moment, despite that I have drop lot of hours into Persona 3.

GBA = Gameboy Advance? If so, I'm thinking about getting one someday, next to PSP.

Cool if you can recommend me some titles in visual novels category? I have heard a lot about them but I have only dabbled in couple.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 12, 2011, 07:53:57 PM »
Don't get a GBA for Riviera when it's also available on PSN for the PSP (probably for a lot less than any used GBA copy you could find today).

While you're at it, don't get anything until you finish some damn games ;)

Commander Jubby Shepard

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 12, 2011, 07:57:18 PM »
Most of the time, I rely on a friend of mine to tell me about them, but I know some stuff. I'd say Phoenix Wright is a great visual novel (it's how I started), but it's... very difficult. Very. If you really like puzzles and riddles, Professor Layton is great. As I mentioned before, Riviera: The Promised Land is a great combination of JRPG stuff and visual novel stuff (it can be difficult, but all battles have a Retry option that let you start the battle at full health with your items back to normal (they lose durability as you use them) and the foe(s) you're facing have lower health). If you don't mind the fact that Narcissu is just a picture book with music and voice acting, I can't suggest it highly enough. I also happen to like a really short visual novel called Painted Walls. It's free, but very short. It should only take about 30 minutes to get all 3 endings.

And it's not quite an RPG, but a lot of the recent Zelda titles would probably be fun if you like puzzles and action games.

Don't get a GBA for Riviera when it's also available on PSN for the PSP (probably for a lot less than any used GBA copy you could find today).

Well color me surprised.

MGShogun

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 12, 2011, 08:07:27 PM »

I'm working on that now. :P

MGShogun

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 12, 2011, 08:08:21 PM »
Most of the time, I rely on a friend of mine to tell me about them, but I know some stuff. I'd say Phoenix Wright is a great visual novel (it's how I started), but it's... very difficult. Very. If you really like puzzles and riddles, Professor Layton is great. As I mentioned before, Riviera: The Promised Land is a great combination of JRPG stuff and visual novel stuff (it can be difficult, but all battles have a Retry option that let you start the battle at full health with your items back to normal (they lose durability as you use them) and the foe(s) you're facing have lower health). If you don't mind the fact that Narcissu is just a picture book with music and voice acting, I can't suggest it highly enough. I also happen to like a really short visual novel called Painted Walls. It's free, but very short. It should only take about 30 minutes to get all 3 endings.

And it's not quite an RPG, but a lot of the recent Zelda titles would probably be fun if you like puzzles and action games.

Well color me surprised.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will look into them. I have Zelda game on Wii but that stuff is kinda confused at the times.

Commander Jubby Shepard

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 12, 2011, 08:10:06 PM »
Twilight Princess is a really easy one... If that confuses you... Well... Yeah... Umm... Keep going at it, I guess.

MGShogun

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 12, 2011, 08:56:49 PM »
*sighing* Oy vey. Well, it's not on my 'to do' list so I'm going to focus on classic RPGs on PS2 for now. XD

Commander Jubby Shepard

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 12, 2011, 09:15:13 PM »
*sighing* Oy vey. Well, it's not on my 'to do' list so I'm going to focus on classic RPGs on PS2 for now. XD

A bit of an odd one, but once you start getting good at RPGs, you might like to look at the Xenosaga series. Even I find it a bit difficult, but if you like sci-fi, overly complex stories, and/ or tons of themes getting dealt with all at once, you might like it.

I'm a Xenolosopher now, I guess... Someone please shoot me.

Farron

• View Profile
    • Mayonaka Reviews
« Reply #494 on: April 12, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »
Xenosaga I think it's a great way to start, specially the first one. Although for some reason I read Xenogears the first time I read it and while I like it I certainly would not recommend it to someone who is starting.
There are times it's so confusing you don't even know what to do.

About Zelda, I'm going to pop a question myself. Besides Ocarina Of Time which one you guys feel like it's the more approachable one ?
I did everything in Ocarian back in the day but I never got into the Zelda bandwagon.
I have Twilight Princess which I only played the beginning (which is boring as hell) and I just got a japanese copy of Wind Waker which at least the artstyle cater to me much more.
Which one would you recommend ?

Should I keep pushing Twilight Princess or move on to Wind Waker ?
(PS: One thing that gets me on my nerves in TP is the sword sound coming from the wiimote)