Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 09:23:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334707 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs for beginners
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: RPGs for beginners  (Read 47430 times)
MGShogun

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2010, 07:10:35 PM »

Hello,

I have used the search function about this topic but I saw none. However, if there is a topic about this, please link me to it.

I've been playing WoW for a little bit but recently I became disillusioned with it and I left after the last patch, which doesn't suit me anymore.

I've been dabbling in PC games for a little bit but I'm more interesting in console rpgs because of the conventions I've been attending.

Playstation 2 is probably only console I can afford at the moment so I'd like to get games for this. It seems to me that PS2 has lot of fantastic rpgs but I don't know where to begin with since its library is very vast. I don't mind try any type of rpgs, even Final Fantasy series, which I have never play before.

I was wondering which rpgs would you recommend for someone whose is a beginner to this genre because I'm tired of stuff that gives me headache that is typical of MMOs.

Thank you for taking time to reading this and I really want to experience all those wonderful rpgs.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »

Pokemon and Dragon Quest are great bets.

Mass Effect 2 is fantastic for action gamers that want to try their hand at an RPG. Oblivion/Fallout isn't bad either. Modern Action-WRPGs seem to have a general appeal for all gamers.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »

Oh yeah, Final Fantasy X might be a great start as well on the PS2. It's great quality and fairly simple. Kingdom Hearts might be a fun game to start with as well.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 07:15:49 PM »

I just picked up dragon quest 8 for ps2 for dirt cheap. It's very fun, nice visuals, quality music, and has old school charm very far.

It might seem a bit simplistic to a WoW player but it's fun. I'd also recommend picking up final fantasy 10. It can also be got for cheap but it gives you more pizzaz than dragon quest.

I also like the level up system a lot in that one
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 07:24:57 PM »

Final Fantasy X, Dragon Quest VIII, and Kingdom Hearts are all good starting points for beginners. Just as a warning though you might want to avoid Shin Megami Tensei games until you have become accustomed to the conventions of RPGs. They are generally considered to be rather difficult. Don't you want you to get swept up in the rave reviews and end up not being able to get pass the first boss. ;)

MGShogun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 07:25:06 PM »

Isn't Mass Effect 2 on PS3?

Like I said, I can only afford PS2 at the moment. However, thanks for the recommending FFX, Kingdom Hearts, and Dragon Quest 8. I will look into those.

Much appreciated it!

You guys can suggest more games if you want to. I wanna build up the library of games.
MGShogun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 07:26:49 PM »

Final Fantasy X, Dragon Quest VIII, and Kingdom Hearts are all good starting points for beginners. Just as a warning though you might want to avoid Shin Megami Tensei games until you have become accustomed to the conventions of RPGs. They are generally considered to be rather difficult. Don't you want you to swept up in the rave reviews and end up not being able to get pass the first boss. ;)

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I was reading the rave reviews about Shin Megami Tensei games but it seems bit too hardcore for me. But I appreciated it as well. :)
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 07:28:44 PM »

In terms of Sony consoles, yes. But you can get it for PC too and it's much cheaper in that case.

As far as SMT goes I don't think Persona 3 would be too cruel for a new console RPG fan. It was the easiest of all SMTs for me. Buuuut even still, you're probably better off with a FF or Kingdom Hearts or something.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »

In all reality if you have any background playing games I don't think any game you want to play would be a bad call. Even if you did buy a "hard" game or whatever the worst that'd happen (provided you at least like the game enough to play it) is you'd make a bad call and have to start over and the best case scenario is that it challenges you.

I'd flip through the reviews here or read the top 20 rpgs of the last decade thing.

Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 07:32:18 PM »

I recommend Dark Cloud 2,Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest 8

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 07:40:37 PM »

As far as SMT goes I don't think Persona 3 would be too cruel for a new console RPG fan. It was the easiest of all SMTs for me.
Well I'm assuming that he has very little experience with RPGs since he says he's a beginner. He may not be accustomed to the conventions of RPGs just yet. Which is why I'm advising him to stay away from them until he's gotten a few games under his belt first. Personally speaking as a fan of the series I don't want him to play it and get stuck at a point and say it's too hard give up on it.

As far as easy RPGs go are you interested in any Playstation one titles? If so you might want to try Final Fantasy VII and Brave Fencer Musashi. Both are relatively easy they are not difficult at all. Final Fantasy VII is probably the easiest Final Fantasy game I've played and you shouldn't struggle too much. Brave Fencer Musashi is a pretty cool action RPG. It's fairly simple nothing really complicated.  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:44:11 PM by xXMelancholiaXx » Logged

MGShogun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 07:52:52 PM »

Hmm, Dark Cloud 2? Any good? I haven't heard anything about it.

Yes, I'm interesting in Playstation 1 titles. That's why I got PS2 because PS has vast library of games. Is there any good PS1 titles that I need to check out?

Thanks for suggesting Final Fantasy VII and Brave Fencer Musashi. I'll look into those since my buddy may have those titles.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 07:58:50 PM »

Thanks for suggesting Final Fantasy VII and Brave Fencer Musashi. I'll look into those since my buddy may have those titles.
I suppose I'd recommend Grandia for the Playstation and Grandia II for the Playstation 2. I wouldn't say they are overly difficult. Grandia II was pretty easy in my opinion but Grandia 1 had it's moments. I'm also wondering if I should recommend Breath of Fire games as well.  

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 08:00:17 PM »

Which is why I said 'as far as SMT goes' BUT that he'd be better off with something else anyway.

I can't remember how difficult FFVIII and IX were because I never bothered to get far, but VII was perfectly fine as maybe my 4th RPG ever. All the other PSOne stuff I can think of that I've played is probably not recommendable until you're more used to the genre and have a lot of free time. :P

I was thinking Grandia as well, they seemed easy and fun back then.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 08:02:48 PM »

I'm surprise no-one's mentioned Chrono Trigger; that's about as casual as you can get. (Though it's still a decent game. =) )
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: