Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 08:37:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319168 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs for beginners
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34 Print
Author Topic: RPGs for beginners  (Read 45261 times)
MGShogun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 09:29:44 PM »

Will get Dark Cloud 2, then. XD

I really cannot wait to dive in the world of RPGs. No more pricks, no more gold sellers, no more nerfing down my precious toon. Nothing but quality story and gameplay.

I'm soooooo excited!
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 09:53:25 PM »

Will get Dark Cloud 2, then. XD

I really cannot wait to dive in the world of RPGs. No more pricks, no more gold sellers, no more nerfing down my precious toon. Nothing but quality story and gameplay.

I'm soooooo excited!
Have fun. :)

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2010, 09:55:42 PM »

The thing w/ PS1 titles is a rpg newcomer might not want to put up with the outdated graphics and controls.

Even though FF7 might not be hard in difficulty, I'd start w/ PS2 titles to gain appreciation for the genre then go for history

MGShogun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 09:56:08 PM »

Thanks! You RPG fans sure are helluva friendlier than MMO fans are. Had I try this on MMO forum, they would be roast me and tan my hide. X.X
MGShogun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 09:57:16 PM »

The thing w/ PS1 titles is a rpg newcomer might not want to put up with the outdated graphics and controls.

Even though FF7 might not be hard in difficulty, I'd start w/ PS2 titles to gain appreciation for the genre then go for history

I'm not graphic whore. All I care is quality gameplay. :)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2010, 10:10:07 PM »

You have pretty much simplified all my thought about most MMOs I've tried in two lines of text!
The lack of story in MMOs was always a downside for me. Also the fact that play like a manic the people you are used to playing with start bitching.

As a suggestion for a PS2 title that might be good for a console RPG newcomer I'd recommend Tales of the Abyss. I have to confess the first "tales of" game I played was Vesperia, and after that I played about 10 hours of Abyss and it's really fun too.

Oh, and before lots of recommendations start popping at a faster pace than you can read, I assume your pc can play WoW. Would you say it can run Fallout 3 or Mass Effect 2, because they're really good.
If it doesn't, before you buy a ps2, one of my favorite games of all time, is able to run on pretty much any pc these days and on steam it's really cheap: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. In short, one of the best games and story I have ever see. And since you've been playing wow the western interface may be more familiar to you.

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 10:11:59 PM »

As a suggestion for a PS2 title that might be good for a console RPG newcomer I'd recommend Tales of the Abyss. I have to confess the first "tales of" game I played was Vesperia, and after that I played about 10 hours of Abyss and it's really fun too.
Speaking of which you should also check out Tales of Destiny and Tales of Destiny II (Eternia) for the Playstation. I forgot about those.

MGShogun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 10:30:36 PM »

Farron, I'm glad that you shared the similar sentiment about my feeling about MMOs. Been playing MMOs for a while and frankly I'm tired of it because it's nothing but treadmill for gear grinding and epeen contest. They kept telling me how to build my own toon repeatedly without me asking for it. Last patch was just final straw that broke camel's back for me. Everything I work hard for was just not there anymore, which is why I made this thread so I can convert to RPGs on console.

I will be sure to check out Tales of the Abyss. It looks very intriguing to me. Will look into Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2. In fact, one of the beautiful girls were talking about Fallout 3 to me the other day so I may give it a go.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic looks good and it's like 10 bucks on steam so I may pick that one up soon. Thanks for the recommendation.

xXMelancholiaXx, thanks for suggesting Tales of Destiny and Tales of Destiny II (Eternia). Will look into those. Cannot wait. 
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 10:54:02 PM »

I'm not graphic whore. All I care is quality gameplay. :)

Yeah I know. But paying for old ps1 hits, load times, etc isn't something I'd recommend to someone asking for a beginner level stuff.

Also keep in mind PS1 was also a big testing ground for conventions we take for granted. Shit like controls and save features might be shitty.

In any event I'm sure you'll be gold w/ any game.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2010, 11:18:57 PM »

PS1:
Legend of Dragoon (that one is far too underrated)
Xenogears (a "semi-cult hit" equivalent to FF7)
Koudelka (got mixed reviews, but you may wanna keep it in mind because of a particular related ps2 series)

PS2:
Persona 3Fes (definitive version of P3)
Persona 4 (social links make it a really easy game for beginners, even on normal)
Shadow Hearts (spinoff of Koudelka but seems to be a huge improvement and is a cult hit, and uses real-world history)
Tales (your mileage may vary)
Dark Cloud (2 is better than 1)
Kingdom Hearts (yay cutesyness)
Xenosaga (related to xenogears because of a book/timeline/thing about that whole universe)
Ar tonelico (most people that play it complain that it is "too easy" and that seems accurate to me)

PS1 and PS2:
Wild Arms (I hope you like puzzles)
Suikoden (I was surprised noone else suggested it)
Valkyrie Profile (I hope you like button mashing)
Arc the Lad (also being released on psn)

PS: Wild Arms has a lot of puzzles but is still excellent even if it gets to be a little too much and Xenosaga is infamous for having a massive amount of cutscenes and episode 2 having massive difficulty levels.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:25:23 PM by insertnamehere » Logged

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2010, 11:38:59 PM »

If I were to pick RPGs for someone who had never played RPGs before to introduce them to the genre:

PS1

Breath Of Fire 3
Final Fantasy 9
Grandia
Suikoden 2

PS2
Dark Cloud 2
Dragon Quest 8
Final Fantasy X
Persona 4

GC/Wii
Arc Rise Fantasia
Skies of Arcadia Legends

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
MGShogun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 11:46:12 PM »

Yoda, thanks for warning. I'll keep that in mind.

Insert and Lard, thanks so much for the list. Much appreciated!
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 11:59:13 PM »

sure thing~

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2010, 01:38:02 AM »

Yeah, if you can find them, the Suikoden games are just about the most graceful entry to RPG's you can find ever.  They're also some of the BEST games in the genre.

It's like the lead developer sat down with his team and said "I've got this great idea for a game story, but before I tell it, let's make sure our game is absolutely perfect" and they set about eliminating everything that makes JRPG's annoying to play.  And then they layered an amazing story on top of that delicious mess.

The games are expensive, but if you can find them you should definitely get them.
MGShogun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2010, 02:12:01 AM »

Sweet, thanks for the recommending Suikoden series. I will keep my eyes out for them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: