Author Topic: RPGs for beginners  (Read 112740 times)

MGShogun

• View Profile
Re: RPGs for beginners
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2010, 04:48:24 AM »
Which Suikoden should I start with?

Themadcow

• RPGing since '84
  • 4 groups of 99 Berzerkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2010, 06:06:37 AM »
Because the games aren't specifically sequels it really doesn't matter which Suiko you start with, although there is some benefit to doing Suikoden 1 first if you decide to do a 'completionist' run through the series as it opens up the hero from the first game at a specific point in S2.

Suikoden 2 is generally recognised as the best game in the series due to a hugely engaging plot, some of the best sprite based graphics you'll get on an old console and a tougher challenge than S1 (although none of the Suikodens are tough really). The catch is that it's very rare and changes hands for around $100 on ebay.

Suiko 4 is the weakest of the main series but is worth doing if you decide to do Tactics. I've never played S3 due to the fact it never came to Europe but I've heard it's flawed in places but very good. Suikoden V is one of my all time favourites - it's VERY slow at the start compared to the other games but when the story gets going it's a masterpiece of RPG storytelling. The only downside is that the combat is incredibly unchallenging but the task of collecting all 108 characters makes up for that.

MGShogun

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2010, 07:20:28 AM »
Thanks for the tip! Looks like I'll be getting Suikoden 4 and 5, then.

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2010, 07:28:31 AM »
Thanks for the tip! Looks like I'll be getting Suikoden 4 and 5, then.

You should be careful with 4. I enjoyed it but it is probably not the best game to introduce someone into Suikoden.

MGShogun

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2010, 07:31:58 AM »
So 5 would be preferable?

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2010, 07:41:22 AM »
DID SOMEONE SAY SUIKODEN 4?

HULK SMASH!

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

hell_snake

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2010, 07:46:07 AM »
So 5 would be preferable?

Yes. In general, III was my favourite. But you might not get into Suikoden III because of how it's rough around the edges. 4 isn't that good so I don't recommend that one.

The games you must get are FF X, DQ VIII and Tales of The Abyss. Those are very simple and easy to get into. Once you're done with those get Persona 4, it's the easiest Shin Megami Tensei game on the PS2, but that doesn't mean it's as easy as the games I mentioned earlier. Shadow Hearts II is also a good choice.

After that, you're good to go for much harder games like Nocturne and the Digital Devil Saga series.
"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2010, 07:50:34 AM »
Obviously you have yet to see my rants in the Game Journal, Kup :P

I didn't enjoy the game, probably because I experienced the awesomeness that was Suikoden 2 before it.

It had that god awful boat (god, the boat) and it was far too short. Plus none of the characters were developed upon, not even the main characters.

The only way I would suggest playing 4, is if you are also going to pick up Suikoden Tactics, which is a sequel to 4, and is so much better.

Also, this is a breakdown of the difficulties in RPG's.

Newcomers: Pokemon and Mario RPG
Average: Everything Else
Experienced: Shin Megami Tensei.

MGShogun

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2010, 07:54:48 AM »
All right, looks like I'll be getting 5, then.

Will add Shadow Hearts 2 to the list.

Looks like FFX will be my first RPG entry so I'm kinda excited about it. The visuals in Dragon Quest 8 doesn't really appeal to me but I'll give it a go since everyone here seem to rave about it.

_____

Newcomers: Pokemon and Mario RPG
Average: Everything Else
Experienced: Shin Megami Tensei.

Really? Shin Megami Tensei is that difficult? Didn't someone say that 3 and 4 are easy?

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2010, 07:57:01 AM »
Persona is the easier of the SMT games, but don't be fooled into thinking they are easy RPG's.

You will be killed with insta-death spells and one hit killers more than once, losing a lot of game progress.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't personally recommend an SMT title so early in your game playing, simply because the quality is through the roof, and you might not enjoy some simpler RPG's after it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 08:02:36 AM by Starmongoose »

Themadcow

• RPGing since '84
  • 4 groups of 99 Berzerkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2010, 07:59:59 AM »
I certainly wouldn't recommend S4 as an intro. Definately S5 if the two first games aren't available (S1 is on PSN and works brilliantly on the PSP, okish on the PS3 and a larger screen). In fact, I'd recommend two run throughs of S1,2 and 5 (a fun run, without worrying about all 108 stars, and a completionist runthrough) over a single run-through of S4.

On the other hand, you might not take to Suikoden at all. A lot of people don't like the idea of picking up 40+ playable characters who are basically useless outside of the base castle ><

MGShogun

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2010, 08:10:32 AM »
Star, thanks for the suggestion. I'll hold off SMT until I'm more experienced with RPGs.

Cow, will keep my eyes out for 1 and 2. I'll be sure to get 5. 40 playable characters seems bit excessive to me but it sounds very interesting.

Farron

• View Profile
    • Mayonaka Reviews
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2010, 08:22:10 AM »
Be warned that Suikoden games are not for everyone. I was already playing tons of RPGs and heard about the Suikoden series and that they were good. So I got Suikoden III and I hated every little thing in it. I even lent it to my cousin to see if he would find something to like about it or the problem was with me and we both hated it.

If I were you I'd go with hell_snake's recommendation of FFX, Tales of the Abyss and Dragon Quest VIII. They are enjoyable and very pick up and play.

MGShogun

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2010, 08:28:24 AM »
Farron, I'm going to start off with FFX for my first RPG entry.

Kup, here's the list that I complied so far that I want to get:

FFX, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest VIII, Dark Cloud 2, FFVII, Brave Fencer Musashi, Grandia 1 and 2, Chrono Trigger, Lunar series, Tales of Destiny 1 and 2, Tales of the Abyss, Fallout 3, Mass Effect 2, Star Wars Knight of the Old Republic, Legend of the Dragoon, Xenogears, Shadow Hearts 1 and 2, Xenosaga, Ar Tonelico, Suikoden 1 2 and 5, and Persona 3 and 4.

So far, I have placed an order for FFX, Kingdom Hearts, FF Chronicles, FF Anthology, and Legend of the Dragoon so far. Will get FFVII from my friend soon.

MGShogun

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2010, 08:49:51 AM »
Can't find a copy of Alundra 1 for PS2 and I don't have access to PSN since I don't have PSP and PS3. X.X

I feel like the list I made is somewhat noob compared to the veterans who beat multiple games in their lifetimes, lol.